What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how i met your mother

Phillips

Referee
Fawlty Towers, Bottom, The Thin Blue Line, The Young Ones, Allo Allo, Men Behaving Badly, Mr Bean.. were all awesome

Blackadder Goes Forth is a damn good series. Just got it on VHS for $1 (whole season...2 VHS's haha)...bloody fantastic.

This is the worst idea since Abraham Lincoln said "Gosh I'm bored of lounging around the house, let's go to the theatre tonight"

Big Pete

Referee
HIMYM sure has it's moments but it suffers from the conventions of popular American sitcoms (predictible jokes, shallow stereotypical characters with bland ideals etc.). If it's any consolation, it's far better than Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory.

There's very few decent sitcoms left on television. HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm has it's fair share of moments but it's far from a traditional sit-com while a number of shows have been found guilty of phoning it in (Hello Scrubs!).

I do hear good things about It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, 30 Rock and Better Off Ted. Unfortunately most of those shows require chronological viewing.

As for classic sit-coms, I still find Frasier to be one of the better sitcoms of the 90's. The Nanny wasn't THAT bad: I thought the Butler was a classic sitcom character. Everybody Loves Raymond, while painful did have it's share of decent moments. Unfortunately, the show was too formulatic and had you seen one episode, you'd seen them all. Becker doesn't need any defending - it was solid.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
I'm a big fan of How I Met Your Mother. I'm up to date with the US. Season 5 Episode 4. I disagree about Neil Patrick Harris carrying the show. Whilst the Ted character is kind of a douchebag the other 4 characters are gold. Jason Segal is money everytime but what else would you expect from the guy who wrote Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I started watching it to see what Alison Hannigan was up to after Buffy. Was not disappointed either.

However the best sitcoms on at the moment are:

US
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

UK
Peep Show

Last edited:
HIMYM sure has it's moments but it suffers from the conventions of popular American sitcoms (predictible jokes, shallow stereotypical characters with bland ideals etc.). If it's any consolation, it's far better than Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory.
Oh no doubt about it. I can't get why "Big Bang Theory" is doing so well. It's got nothing on it. The nerd jokes are nothing like the ones on shows like "The IT Crowd".

There's very few decent sitcoms left on television. HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm has it's fair share of moments but it's far from a traditional sit-com while a number of shows have been found guilty of phoning it in (Hello Scrubs!).
I have seen that a few times, don't mind it. Might give it more of a go.

I do hear good things about It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, 30 Rock and Better Off Ted. Unfortunately most of those shows require chronological viewing.
It's Always Sunny is crap, the exact same thing. 30 Rock is not bad, it actually has a sense of creativity though.

As for classic sit-coms, I still find Frasier to be one of the better sitcoms of the 90's. The Nanny wasn't THAT bad: I thought the Butler was a classic sitcom character. Everybody Loves Raymond, while painful did have it's share of decent moments. Unfortunately, the show was too formulatic and had you seen one episode, you'd seen them all. Becker doesn't need any defending - it was solid.
Frasier - some were decent but some episodes I've seen were shocking. I am a fan of Kelsey Grammar(sp)...until he did that show with Patricia Heaton.
Which leads me to...
ELR - tirelessly predictable. The father was the highlight until I was old enough that he became predictable.
Nanny - Butler was decent, Fran whats-her-name is....her voice is....AHH!

Eelementary

Post Whore
this is a brilliant show. also love the big bang theory atm.

two and a half men is absolute garbage though. it's predictable, boring and extremely low brow... not to mention so overly americanised. i struggle to watch it even when nothing else is on. they must have lobotomized a bunch of monkeys to write the script for it... because healthy monkeys can produce much, much better.

Funny...I could say the same for HIMYM....Barney is the only funny thing in that show. Marshall and Lily and cringe-worthy; Ted is just begging to have his head knocked off his shoulders...

A genuinely good sitcom atm is "Better Off Ted".

Red Bear

Referee
Have heard good things about better of ted actually, lady at the video shop said if i like 30 rock and arrested development it was a good one to check out

natheel

Coach
Chuck is great but not best I enjoy Gary unmarried seen the episodes online and it gets better

Latest posts