What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many mobile phones have you owned?

langpark

First Grade
I got my first phone in 2003, when I was in my last year of high school. Since then I've gone through a total of 4 phones. I never change for the hell of it, or to get the latest/coolest phone etc. I keep it until it stops working basically (and I'm still on the nokias too btw ;-) )

I imagine 4 is a low number compared to most. Am curious to hear what the average number would be, I'm guessing close to double-digits. I'm guessing some have even lost count?....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Since 1999 when I got my first one... probably around 8 or 9? Maybe 10? Usually update every 2 years

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Since 95 a new one every two years.

They just give me one, I just have to choose.

So a f**k load.

Currently on a Samsung Android.

I had a small arse Nokia once, thing was tiny, now they be huge.

some11

Referee
Had a Nokia around 2004/5
Then a Motorola Razr soon after
Then some Samsung my brother gave me
And been using my bros old Galaxy S3 for the last few years.

Hand-me-downs are the best cause there's no money down the drain if it breaks/dies.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
First was a Motorola brick, then five Nokias, then a HTC heap of shit. Back to Nokia now so that makes it eight.

bileduct

Coach
Nokia 5110
Nokia 6210
O2 XDA II
O2 XDA Atom Exec
Apple iPhone 3G
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy Note II

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Alcatel (can't remember model)
Nokia 3210
Nokia 8230
Motorola RAZR
iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 6

I generally get a couple of years out of a phone apart from a couple which were lost.

Incorrect

Coach
Since 1999, I think I've had 5.... Old school Nokia's for the first 3, then my old job gave me an iPhone in 2010 which I used up until 2 years ago when they upgraded me to a newer iPhone. I left the company but I kept the phone and am still using it.

Bit like the OP said - I don't change them for the hell of it, I'll pretty much keep them until they cease to function or if someone hands me a new one for whatever reason..

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
How it works for me.

My daughter gets the new one they give me, she chooses, I get her old one.

She shows me how to use it, and then gets lost for days working out her new one.

I be cool with this.

GongPanther

Referee
Never had a mobile although I have possession of two phones that relatives gave me.

They are somewhere still collecting dust.

Nuke

Staff member
I got my first one when I was 18 in 1999. I've had a total of 5 including that first one. Same as others here, I don't go and get a new one first chance I get. My phones have to virtually die on me before I'll consider getting a new one.

That first one -a brick- only lasted about 6months before I accidentally snapped the aerial off ... rendering it useless
My 2nd one was a Nokia 3310 and had text messaging capability (and a couple of games!).
I forget what model of Nokia my 3rd was, but it was a sliding phone that I'm sure I'd still be using today if it didn't cark it.
4th was some forgettable one that slid open the other way around and had a full QWERTY keyboard.
My 5th -and current- is a Samsung Galaxy Ace that was sent to me for free by Optus when I altered my plan. 3-and-a-half years now and still going strong!

I do miss the Nokia phones with actual buttons on them. I used to be able to send complete text messages with the phone in my pocket or behind my back and have no spelling errors in it, which was very handy when I got stuck in conversations with someone I preferred not to be talking to. I could just summon someone to phone me or to take me away! I reckon I could still type messages by just using the numerical keypad!!

langpark

First Grade
I do miss the Nokia phones with actual buttons on them. I used to be able to send complete text messages with the phone in my pocket or behind my back and have no spelling errors in it, which was very handy when I got stuck in conversations with someone I preferred not to be talking to. I could just summon someone to phone me or to take me away! I reckon I could still type messages by just using the numerical keypad!!

So true!! like I say, I'm still on the nokia and I do this regularly!! :)

Never owned a mobile phone, always used work supplied ones, now I'm getting a redundancy I'll have to buy my first one soon.

Any hints on plans and phones would be appreciated (not Iphones). I don't make many calls, but lots of texting.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I'm pretty happy with the Vodafone plan I have. $30 a month, 1 gig of data and unlimited calls and texts.

The plan is 40 a month now for new subscribers though, and it is month to month, byo handset.

Motorola Razr
Another Motorola which was like their Workmans phone
Nokia 8310
iPhone 3G
Galaxy S2
Galaxy S3
Galaxy S4
Galaxy S5
iPhone 5

cleary89

Coach
Nokia 3310
the stupid one with flashing lights on the sides
a 3 phone which had the cricket
pretty sure it was a nokia but had a stylus pen
iphone3
iphone 4
s3
s4
s6 edge

Both the iphone 4 and s4 were because i lost my phone an insurance upgraded me.

HayneKloppter

Juniors
Nokia 3310
the stupid one with flashing lights on the sides
a 3 phone which had the cricket
pretty sure it was a nokia but had a stylus pen

iphone3
iphone 4
s3
s4
s6 edge

Both the iphone 4 and s4 were because i lost my phone an insurance upgraded me.

you mean this bad boy
motorola_a1000_04.jpg

i scored many $100 bar tabs at trivial night with this beauty back in the day :cool: