What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge wrap on Parramatta Eels' 17-year-old Bevan French

Gronk

Staff member
I bet French would like that intercept again. He should have shimmied like he did last week, He'll learn from that.

Forty20

First Grade
How flipping quick is Manu, though?

Boy, that was a great chase!

I don't think Manu has the wheels that the primary camera angle suggests he has. Think he was actually a fair bit in field for whatever reason and had pretty good positioning to make the play. Obviously he has some pace and made a good play but it wasn't the incredible chase we all thought it was initially.

Avenger

Immortal
French made an error with that intercept but he is surprising me with his one on one defence. It is very good for a man of his size. We have such a special talent here.

Forty20

First Grade
He doesn't take that intercept and they score for sure. Game over.

Yep. It was an awesome play and you wouldn't back too many players to have the hands to make that intercept. A shame he couldn't take it to the house as that would go down in the career highlights package.

The one small positive to come from Semi's injury is that BA no longer has to make the call on dropping Bev next week and he gets the remainder of the year to grow in first grade.

strider

Post Whore
I don't think Manu has the wheels that the primary camera angle suggests he has. Think he was actually a fair bit in field for whatever reason and had pretty good positioning to make the play. Obviously he has some pace and made a good play but it wasn't the incredible chase we all thought it was initially.

Exactly ... i reckon he was infield with a 15m headstart ... when he first comes into the camera shot its as if he is a fullback waiting - he had a fair headstart and still almost got burned

Bigfella

Coach
The way he took the intercept was very special. It wasn't one of those all or nothing plays where they leave the opposite unmarked. He protected the outside, saddled the ball beautifully, then took off. He lost massive momentum but hit top sped.

The caller f**ked up. Made it sound like there was a stroll to the line when really Manu was three quarters back.

I can't criticise him for backing himself.

What he can be criticised for was the fact he didn't go looking for the ball in attack. He didn't get involved enough. Sure he was playing outside a back rower and our primary right half is out. Our creativity is much less with some of the injuries.

But that just makes it even more important that he goes looking for ball.

EelsFan05

Bench
We'll have Hayne (maybe), Gutho and French that want to play fullback in the coming years. Could get interesting.

I just can't see Hayne wanting to play 5/8. He didn't succeed in the past and I think that's because he hated playing in the front line.

EelsFan05

Bench
The way he took the intercept was very special. It wasn't one of those all or nothing plays where they leave the opposite unmarked. He protected the outside, saddled the ball beautifully, then took off. He lost massive momentum but hit top sped.

The caller f**ked up. Made it sound like there was a stroll to the line when really Manu was three quarters back.

I can't criticise him for backing himself.

What he can be criticised for was the fact he didn't go looking for the ball in attack. He didn't get involved enough. Sure he was playing outside a back rower and our primary right half is out. Our creativity is much less with some of the injuries.

But that just makes it even more important that he goes looking for ball.

He doesn't like running the ball back from kicks either. That pass back infield to Gordon was heart attack material.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
We'll have Hayne (maybe), Gutho and French that want to play fullback in the coming years. Could get interesting.

I just can't see Hayne wanting to play 5/8. He didn't succeed in the past and I think that's because he hated playing in the front line.

He won't necessarily have to play "five-eighth" all the time. We've seen some experimentation with our halves this year and I don't see why next year should be any different.

Next year if Hayne comes then we must have French, Norman, Hayne in the 1,6,7 in whatever combination. All 3 are strong ball runners, all 3 are strong ball players, all 3 bring the same thing but have a different way of bringing it.

We're very lucky to have a forward pack that we get very good value out of.

Gronk

Staff member
Young gun makes most of call-up

25 Jul 2016, 11:26 a.m.

Despite scoring eight tries at the Auckland Nines, Bevan French was the Eels’ seventh-choice winger heading into round one of the NRL.

Semi Radradra and Clint Gutherson were in first grade, and Vai Toutai, Ryan Morgan, Bureta Faraimo, and John Folau were in the NSW Cup.

Now, with six rounds to go the 20-year-old is the blue and golds’ go-to man scoring his 10th try in his seventh game in the Eels 34-14 loss to the Gold Coast Titans.

French, who is still eligible for the Holden Cup, is enjoying his unexpected opportunity in the top grade.

“It has been very exciting for me, and after the Nines, I wasn’t really expecting to get the call-up this year but it’s been unlucky for a few other players but fortunate for me,” French said.

“We have had a few injuries and I’m glad I got the call up but now I’m just trying to make the most of my opportunity.” French is the man pencilled in to wear the No.1 next year in his preferred position of fullback. Until then he is happy learning the ropes on the wing. “I enjoy learning each week,” he said.

In other NRL news, the Penrith Panthers remain in the top eight after a 31-12 win against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

The Panthers hope to make it three wins on the trot when they head across the Tasman to tackle the ninth placed New Zealand Warriors on Saturday afternoon.

The 14th placed Parramatta Eels take on the Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium this Saturday. Kick-off is 5.30pm
.http://www.blacktownsun.com.au/story/4051147/young-gun-makes-most-of-call-up/

Gronk

Staff member
I reckon it is an instruction by BA to limit his kick returns / rucking it out.

He hardly ever rucks it out on the 1st / 2nd tackle after a kick, actually can't even remember him running it.

I don't think it's that he doesn't like doing it, just following the game plan.

Yeah he got rag dolled too many times and they obviously got him in cotton wool.

Some merkin said on Fox that we are putting 8-10 kgs on him over xmas.