What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i remember

Joely01

Bench
Great post (even though i wasnt around for most of those things)

the bring on the broncos part made me remember sitting at SFS against the Titans in the finals of 2009 and with about 10mins to go the "bring on the bulldogs" chants started, one of my best memories so far for me.

Another memory that for some reason sticks out to me, is i think it was the game against Penrith (maybe warriors) in the 2009 run and Hayne set up a wonderful try and celebrated by running over the the crowd and giving a few high fives and showing pure exciting with the fans, that for me sticks out a lot.

I guess for me being a bit younger and not being around in the 80's, that year in 2009 will stick with me forever and will be one of my great memories (im not saying the best memory because that will be when we win the comp)

Stewie

Juniors
AND change to chuck at the players....

I would never have even dreamt of doing anything like that. Even when we got flogged at Parra Stadium as a kid I'd still leave the ground with a massive smile on my face knowing I got to see in person the same blokes I pretended to be while playing backyard footy. Especially Kenny and Sterlo.

Gronk

Staff member
Some Cumberland memories for me:-

• My Dad & I used to stand on the club side of the players entrance in front of the grand stand.
  • The hamburgers from the canteen underneath the grandstand were terrible. Nothings changed in 35 years !
  • Arthur Beetson getting his jaw broken vs Easts.
  • Phil Mann's kick returns and on occasion running the length of the field.
  • Neil Hunt taking the ball in goal and running 105m to score once.
  • Guru coming from nowhere (often) to drag down a runaway try.
  • Terry Reynolds coming off the field with his whole face covered in blood. That shocked me a bit actually.
  • A few games (once vs St George I recall) that it was so packed that us kids were allowed to sit on the inside of the fence to watch that game !
  • Frank Hyde and Col Pierce calling the games from their card tables.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore

• My Dad & I used to stand on the club side of the players entrance in front of the grand stand.
  • The hamburgers from the canteen underneath the grandstand were terrible. Nothings changed in 35 years !
  • Arthur Beetson getting his jaw broken vs Easts.
  • Guru coming from nowhere (often) to drag down a runaway try.
  • Terry Reynolds coming off the field with his whole face covered in blood. That shocked me a bit actually.
  • A few games (once vs St George I recall) that it was so packed that us kids were allowed to sit on the inside of the fence to watch that game !
  • Frank Hyde and Col Pierce calling the games from their card tables.

And some from me.....(mainly in chronological order)

• Sitting on my dad's shoulders for 5 minutes watching the game, then spending the rest of it sliding down the back of the hill on discarded ice-cream cartons.
  • Taking 25 minutes to get out of the carpark. We used to park where the new training field is.
  • Sitting on the steps of the old grandstand to watch the games.
  • Yelling abuse at Rex Mossop while he was sitting in his small commentary tower.
  • Catching the bus early Sunday mornings along Kissing Point Rd, walking to the ground from Church st, and queueing up before the gates opened. Sometimes the lines reached O'Connell st and then went along the footpath towards the leagues club.
  • When I got a schoolboy pass, I'd be one of the first in, and would race around to the grandstand with a blanket to save spots for my mum and dad who came later.
  • My brothers used to sit under the old scoreboard with a banner saying "The Ray Price Stand". He used to sit on the Eastern side of the ground with his family, and when it was time to go to the dressing rooms (usually just after Reserve Grade started), he would walk around the ground in front of this sign and get a standing ovation.
  • Always being excited seeing the old north hill full. It was pretty big. For a youngen anyway, and looked fantastic from the grandstand..
  • On calm, cold winter Sunday afternoon's, the pall of cigarette smoke that hung over the north hill.
  • The amount of flags that were waved when the Eels came on to the field. Just a mass of flags right around the ground.
  • The feeling of joy when I graduated (ie. was tall enough) to stand on the old asphalt in front of the grandstand with the men.
  • The parachutists. The one with the away teams jersey always missed the bullseye on the halfway line. The Eels one always got it spot on, and hence got a massive cheer.
  • The really, really shocking toilets. As a kid, I thought it was the norm.
  • The big game days in the late 70's, when the ground would fill really quickly, and be quite chockas by the end of the Under 23's. They were exciting times as people took far more interest in the lower grades and would ensure they saw them play. I still remember Eric Grothe carving the 23's up with length of the field tries when he was 18.
I'll think of some more later.

Suity

Was Phil Mann the guy who looked a bit like Basil Fawlty (about 8 feet tall and spindly)?

Hunt had the most predictable 90 degree right foot step in history and the chasing team fell for it every time....magic.

Suitman

Post Whore
Was Phil Mann the guy who looked a bit like Basil Fawlty (about 8 feet tall and spindly)?

Yep that's him. His arms were almost as long as his legs so when he palmed someone off they didn't get within 6 feet of him.

Hunt had the most predictable 90 degree right foot step in history and the chasing team fell for it every time....magic.

lol. So true.

Suity

Delboy

First Grade
I remember
* sitting on the hill with my kids, inside plastic garbage bags with a hole for the head when Paul Taylor set the record of 54 tackles in the dark and pouring rain.
*watching Ron Hilditch floor Krilich as he sttod waiting for a runner
* seeing Paul Younane,Will Harris,Robert Cowie all looking like future suprerstars and just being happy on a Sunday night
*sending the kids through the gates when they opened to grab a seat by spreading a blanket on nail infested wooden planks near the fence
*the kids waving their flags out of the car window driving up Church Street to home in the Hills
*the Liverpool supporters bus pulling in to the car park and the flags, scarves and blue and gold they all wore to get into the Palace known as Cumberland Oval

sometimes those memories are so much better than today, but that was a golden era

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
i remember going to Cumberland oval with mum and dad when i was a kid.
i remember in the back seat of dads car going through my scanlens footy cards
i remember waiting at the wire fence waiting to catch a glimpse of my favorite players
i remember when my coach made his debut from Guildford as our greatest ever five eight
i remember going back to the club after the game and in ore of the players
i remember when all our players had jobs as well as played footy
i remember catching the heavy brown ball behind the goal posts and throwing it back to the ball boy
i remember the great games through the eighties and attended the 86' grand final
i remember great players retiring and wondered who would replace them
i remember the lulls through the ninety's but still my team was the best ever
i remember how gutted i felt in the 98' final series "singing bring on the bronco's" behind the posts
i remember going to the games in the new millennium and how things started to change
i remember a team that struggled through the next years and going to the footy now took a quarter of my wage
i remember saying to my dad that ive never seen a player like hindmarsh since ray price
i remember calling my dad this morning telling him that our greatest player since ray price had called it quits

you see,ive been following this team like most of you since i was a kid, i am 43 years old and i still go to games with my dad
enjoy watching this guy hindmarsh go around in 2012 because these kind of players only come around only every 20 years or so .....
:clap:, Very nice post mate.

Parra Pride

Coach
I remember watching the Eels lose the 2001 Grand Final, though I wasn't as big a supporter I was still a little disappointed, fast forward 8 years and I remember watching the Eels lose the '09 Grand Final thanks to Tony f**king Archer and being absolutely shattered and not leaving my room for a week.

#ICryedLikeBaby

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
I remember going to Cumberland Oval half dozen times, though the most memorable moment game wise was being there for the last one where we played Manly having a woman screaming behind me for the whole game saying that is my son, it didnt bother me though as I felt her pride aswell, her son was Paul Younane, who had a blinder, "happy days"

Stagger eel

Staff member
* Standing on the Hill at the Pool side end of the ground squeazing my way at the front to get a view of the game.
* waiting for 1.30 to roll up when Pricey used to walk from the Victoria Rd end and the roar that followed him was amazing.
* watching them beat Manly 22-5 with Lew Platz and Garry Dowling having big games.
* Watching Graeme Olling being stretchered off against the roosters unconcious.
* hearing the phantom screamer during the game, he used to move around a fair bit.
* watching them smash Norths 41-3 with the Cro banging 28 points.
* watching us beat the Dogs 12-8 in torrential rain.
* Cronin missing a goal from in front a minjute from fulltime which would of won us the game against saints.

I'm sure there's more...

Suitman

Post Whore
* Cronin missing a goal from in front a minjute from fulltime which would of won us the game against saints.

I'm sure there's more...

I remember Cronin kicking two penalty goals in the last 5 minutes to beat the Tigers 11-9. We were behind 9-7 with 5 to go.
The winning kick was just inside the half way line out near the sideline. The crowd went absolutely mental. Maybe '78, although could have been '77.

Suity

emjaycee

Coach
I remember too much to type on an android phone keypad at the moment but from 10 yrs of age I used to get the bus down Windsor Rd from Northmead to Vic Rd and spend Sunday afternoons at Cumberland.
Later it was a train to Belmore before Sharpie was more popular than the Queen when the Stadium opened.

My old man was a Roosters supporter but he would suffer the Eels just so I could see them play. I think Bear, Artie and Peardie made it tolerable for him.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
I remember Cronin kicking two penalty goals in the last 5 minutes to beat the Tigers 11-9. We were behind 9-7 with 5 to go.
The winning kick was just inside the half way line out near the sideline. The crowd went absolutely mental. Maybe '78, although could have been '77.

Suity

the tigers games were always close..

was that the game that Larry Corowa scored the run away try after Olsen Filipana intercepted a pass?

I also remember that I saw Steve Ella and Mark Ella leaving the Oval together one Tuesday night. We must have been going to sign Mark Ella but for a late hitch.

barney gumble

Juniors
i remember going to Cumberland oval with mum and dad when i was a kid.
i remember in the back seat of dads car going through my scanlens footy cards
i remember waiting at the wire fence waiting to catch a glimpse of my favorite players
i remember when my coach made his debut from Guildford as our greatest ever five eight
i remember going back to the club after the game and in ore of the players
i remember when all our players had jobs as well as played footy
i remember catching the heavy brown ball behind the goal posts and throwing it back to the ball boy
i remember the great games through the eighties and attended the 86' grand final
i remember great players retiring and wondered who would replace them
i remember the lulls through the ninety's but still my team was the best ever
i remember how gutted i felt in the 98' final series "singing bring on the bronco's" behind the posts
i remember going to the games in the new millennium and how things started to change
i remember a team that struggled through the next years and going to the footy now took a quarter of my wage
i remember saying to my dad that ive never seen a player like hindmarsh since ray price
i remember calling my dad this morning telling him that our greatest player since ray price had called it quits

you see,ive been following this team like most of you since i was a kid, i am 43 years old and i still go to games with my dad
enjoy watching this guy hindmarsh go around in 2012 because these kind of players only come around only every 20 years or so .....

Quite possibly the best posting ever on this website (though that bar is low set). Well said, I'm close to your age and I remember all those things too.

yep - its a good'un.

for me-

• John Peard watching the Cumberland games from the top of the old score board in 80
  • Hot - hot - hot doggies after reserves and ice cream at half time
  • Jets flying so low you could see the people in the plane windows at Henson Park
  • Getting told to "go home parra" after losing to the Dogs by 2 in the first round at Belmore in '82
  • EG Senior dislocating Ross Conlons hip in a massive tackle over the sideline in a finals game in 82 or 3.. (anyone remember?)
  • Punching my best (dogs supporting) mate in the head at the SFS after losing the 98 semi (he wouldnt STFU & he was warned.. Though we had a beer and a laugh about it later that night..)
The list could go on & on.

Top thread mate!