What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.I want Wayne Bennett, reveals Nathan Tinkler

aqua_duck

Coach
People talk about a challenge and all that sort of stuff, winning a premiership is a challenge period. Bennett I think will do what's right for himself, that leads to think we're in the box seat, financially, lifestyle , location, access to Tinkler's jet, offer to Ben Ikin, etc. The only thing Souths can offer is Crowe's apartment, which doesn't strike me as Bennett's type of crib anyway

Bicey_18

Bench
People talk about a challenge and all that sort of stuff, winning a premiership is a challenge period. Bennett I think will do what's right for himself, that leads to think we're in the box seat, financially, lifestyle , location, access to Tinkler's jet, offer to Ben Ikin, etc. The only thing Souths can offer is Crowe's apartment, which doesn't strike me as Bennett's type of crib anyway

Exactly right

Serc

First Grade
Bennett set for Knights
April 11, 2011

MASTER coach Wayne Bennett is tipped to announce within the next few days that he will coach Newcastle next year, breaking hearts at South Sydney.
The seven-time premiership winner admitted after steering St George Illawarra to victory over Canterbury at the SCG yesterday that he had made a decision on his coaching future, but refused to say which of the two clubs he had picked.
Asked if he could divulge his plans, Bennett replied: ''I can't answer that for you, I don't know. Well, I do know, but I just don't want to share it with you.''
It is understood that Bennett did not want to reveal his decision until after the club he had chosen had completed its commitments in the weekend round because he did not want the publicity to distract the players from their jobs.
Souths lost to Wests Tigers last Friday night, but Newcastle do not play until tonight, against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

GREG PRICHARD
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/bennett-set-for-knights-20110410-1d9i9.html

I hope I haven't killed our chances of signing Bennett by posting this...lol

Jono078

Referee
Sounds good.

On a side note I read that Idris has verbally agreed to come here and is awaiting for the contract papers to be delivered and signed.

Tinkler could potentially announce the signings of Bennett, Snowden and Idris in the next 2 weeks :D

Serc

First Grade
On a side note I read that Idris has verbally agreed to come here and is awaiting for the contract papers to be delivered and signed.

Where did you read that? Just went through the Tele/CM and SMH websites (admittedly not every article) and didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think he'd get more attention in football crazy Newcastle TBH

Yeh from fans and well wishers maybe but it's the media that Bennett has always tried to avoid. The Newcastle media are quite tame compared to Sydney. I'd imagine the last thing a private man like Bennett would want is people like Wiedler, DUI Bec and Slothfield stalking his apartment. Newcastle also offers him a lifestyle he's more accustomed to, not as busy, not as much razzle dazzle, kind of a mix between Brisbane and the Gong.

Noname36

First Grade
I think he'd get more attention in football crazy Newcastle TBH

When it comes to league and the Knights, the only thing the Newcastle media is ever interested in are fluff pieces. Bennett could perform as poor as he wanted to, and the Newcastle media would still write feel good stories. It's completely different to the Sydney media.

And yeah, people in Newcastle are probably a little crazy when it comes to their love for rugby league, but that's something that Bennett's said he loves about the club. So I'd say "crazy" fans wouldn't hurt our chances.

What looks better on the back page of The Daily Telegraph?

'Wayne Bennett Takes Knights To Next Level' or 'Wayne Bennett Breaks Souths 40 Year Premiership Drought'

What will carry more respect and prestige, turning a miserable rag tag bunch of no hopers who have made the Top 8 once in the past 20 years with one of the games richest histories and leading them to glory or giving Newcastle a third premiership in 14 years?

What is a more impressive transformation, turning Chris 'Turnstile' Sandow into a top grade halfback or doing the same with Beau Henry?

These are the questions that will motivate Wayne Bennett imo, he's proved he can win premierships, if he has anything left to prove is that he is the greatest of all time.

There are very similar aspects to both Souths and St. George. A roster brimming with talent, players with great potential who just need to edge out some flaws and weak links (Sandow/Soward's defence for example), a history of underachievement (or as some liked to call the Dragons, 'chokers'), a premiership drought and a large fan base. There is the recipe for a sh*tload of hype, which although he 'shys away from the spotlight' Wayne Bennett generates and I think loves to generate.

You could also turn that last paragraph back around to say if he wanted a true challenge he'd come to foreign territory in Newcastle, but Bennett has a winning formula. The Dragons play to a template, they win premierships. Wayne Bennett coaches to a formula, he wins premierships.

In the same context does he really want to risk his legacy by coaching the bunnies who are the perputal under achievers or come to a club with a blank cheque book(lets be honest Tinkler makes Crowe and PHC look like paupers.)

Jono078

Referee
Where did you read that? Just went through the Tele/CM and SMH websites (admittedly not every article) and didn't see that mentioned anywhere.
Nuh, not on any of those official sort of things lol. Read it on another forum from a dude (Dogs supporter) who heard from a source within the Knights.

Could take that with a grain of salt, but he heard that.

perverse

Referee
Nuh, not on any of those official sort of things lol. Read it on another forum from a dude (Dogs supporter) who heard from a source within the Knights.

Could take that with a grain of salt, but he heard that.
sounds legit.

Serc

First Grade
Ahh no worries Jono...I was just curious :) (as you can see by another thread I may have missed the comments about Taia in another article!)

Tigerm

First Grade
In the same context does he really want to risk his legacy by coaching the bunnies who are the perputal under achievers or come to a club with a blank cheque book(lets be honest Tinkler makes Crowe and PHC look like paupers.)
A bit harsh on the Bunnies, you blokes aren't exactly setting the place on fire? I am sure Souths can afford him & they do have history, albeit from a while ago. They certainly have the talent, just need someone to bring it all together. Besides, Russ will probably offer him a movie role:)

Rolla

Juniors
I find it hilarious that he said something along the lines of.... 'i know but im not telling you. I'm going to wait untill the team i chose plays this round' (the bunnies had played already) and only bout 2 journalists had the brains to connect the dots or do a simple ...Knights + rabbits - rabbits = knights (i am of course assuming this was said and is true).

My guess is he meant until all stakeholders have played this weekend.

I swear the man is loving every minute of this despite what he says!! why would he have said anything at all?

to_ddeath

Coach
F*ck I hope he goes your way rather than $ouths, looking like a real strong chance.
He has been fantastic for us as you all know & that plane will be a huge help as far as more quality time with the fam is concerned.
I just hope we can get Henry back in a couple of years, a small trade off would be nice : )
Enjoy.

T.