What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Was Just Rejected At ANZ Stadium Homebush Tonight

MuleEel

Juniors
Good on you Brett. I share you views completely on ANZ. The thing for it would be a good leveling. It is the worst venue for viewing Rugby League in Australia and the crowds will continue to decline. Furthermore, I think the greatest outcome would be for the VFL to purchase the stadium and sink to the ground with it.
I dont disagree with the Western Sydney teams playing at a central ground. But for good sake it should at least be purpose built. In actual fact, I think right next door league soccer and Rugby should pitch in to build an indoor rectangular stadium. It would be awesome and would outrank Lang Park as the home of Rugby League.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
The only way they make any money is on food/beverage/parking etc.

They are taking a serious bath on the ticket sales because they give the club gate takings for 20,000 regardless. Thats why they hand out monstrous amounts of freebies, to get people into the ground and buying 10 dollar hotdogs.

The best way to get them is to NOT BUY A THING at the ground itself.

Then they'll die a slow painfull financial death.

Really ?

Because i thought it's because they have got about 100 corporate suites that they have. They sell it to all the big massive companies - your Telstra, Coca-Cola's, BHP's, Borals, Sony etc etc pay massive $$$$$$$$$ for their suites each year.

with all the money given to them up front, they can then go to all the clubs and pay them to play their games at ANZ. the more events that they can hold at the ground, the more they can charge the corporates to keep their company suite next year.

Also, they get all the big events at that ground. the grand final, a state of origin, a couple of wallabies games, a couple of socceroos games where they will pack the ground out and make a killing on those games. more money in their piggy bank.

and their future is just about assured in the next few years when the afl starts up the west sydney team. would not be too surprised if the swans eventually leave the 40,000 SCG and move to the 80,000 homebush stadium, especially if the afl buy it.

Dantm

Juniors
You guys are f**ked up...

The clubs play there because the suburban venues arent paying the bills...In other words,you arent turning up even to pack out suburban venues...ANZ offer the clubs a way to survive and still people want to f**k that up as well...The only problem with ANZ is that it seats 80,000 and any 80,000 seat venue in the entire planet needs 50% full to provide some good atmosphere...Dont give us crap about the viewing..It aint that bad and the worst seats are way up high on level 6 and we all know that people only sit there when there is more than 65,000 there anyway,which for NRL club games...never....
As for people saying lets build a 60,000 seater...what the f**k for..The SFS ,which is as good as any rectangle venue is lucky to get more than 15,000 for any game.....
You are kidding yourself if you believe that Souths v Nrth Qld would get much more than 10,000 at any venue in Sydney,even if it was friggin Wembley Stadium.Look at facts,ANZ actually gets higher attendances and has a higher average than any suburban ground in Sydney.
That said,it does host way to many teams and games...It should be used,but only for blockbuster games and major events.

milchcow

Juniors
I'm with you Dantm, I don't understand the total hatred of ANZ.

Sure not every seat has an awesome view, but in 100% of club games played there, seats with a good view are available to those who want them. People who claim they can't get a good view of the game at ANZ are either lying, or morons. And do people ever actually compare the view to those from suburban grounds. Shark Park has a friggen Power pole in the middle of the northern hill which doesn't exactly improve the viewing spectacle for people watching the game from there, campbelltown has very few good spots for watching the game. And while people love the atmosphere of hills, as soon as there is a decent crowd on one, comfort and visibility levels drops. And good luck if you are at a suburban ground on a rainy day.

And even though people here seem to be anti stuff that makes a profit (only exception being profitable stuff the NRL isn't doing, in which case its just proof of their incompetence) you can't ignore the fact that clubs make money playing at ANZ, and lose money playing at suburban grounds.

Parra

Referee
No seat in the place is good enough. The corporate boxes are so far away from the field you have to sit inside and watch the television anyway. The place is a white elephant as far as any decent sport is concerned* . Should be used for athletics and AFL only.

* there is one exception to this - it is the best speedway venue in the world. Needs a permanent track - but the one round of the speedway grand prix that was held there was awesome.

ozzie

Bench
just what was the flag size again because a fair few big ones are seen in the stadium.

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
A bit off topic, but .. how hard would it be to get a secret task force together to stand at the gates for a game and actually count the number of punters that walk in? And then compare it with the actual crowd figure. I guess you'd be up against the toil of having to do it for several hours and then secondly try somehow to avoid the attention of staff at the ground.

Although if you had a counter for each gate, then one person for each gate plus one roaming so you could regularly "change shifts" from gate to gate to avoid attention, it might be possible.
Amazing. Looks like the Daily Telegraph did exactly this on Monday night.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23921829-5006066,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23921986-5001023,00.html

Mish

Juniors
Where do I see the paper? Is there a link? Or do I have to go against morals and buy that crap paper? Actually, no, tell me what page number it is and I'll ust read it in the newsagency, stuff paying money for that rubbish paper.

The Preacher

First Grade
Left bottom corner page 98.

I think Brettles will make his way through the grades and finish up a front page story no probs. :twisted:

legend

Coach
Brett is a legend and casn have my forum handle any time he wants. Our game needs more people like Brett. ;-)

perverse

Referee
was reading a telegraph i found on the train this morning... imagine my surprise when one St. Brett showed up in all his glory. i must have received more than a few funny looks when i burst out laughing.

good stuff brett. rofl.

Ribs

Bench
I couldnt help but notice the reference to the Tele witnessing the event. They cant write 5 lines without lying.......