What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would like to see something similar here

T-Boon

Coach
I think you give the nrl far too much credit, aside from origin, and let's be honest the state rivallary is what sell sthat, the nrl has a pretty terrible track record on these types of events, you are being very optimistic me thinks!

When has the NRL ever tried anything like this before? They fail because they don't try things. Not when they do.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When has the NRL ever tried anything like this before? They fail because they don't try things. Not when they do.

Events? Internationals, nines, all stars. Start well but rarely sustained. We can't even sell out all grand finals which is the domestic games biggest event

Lambretta

First Grade
The magic weekend in the uses local derbies to make it as exciting as possible for the fans

They don't put on a load of dross games and hope its a big weekend

you have
St Helens v Wides (local Derby)
Wigan v Warrington (big local Derby)
Castleford v Leeds (local derby and 1 v 2 from the season before)

Salford v Catalans (no one cares about this game)
Wakefield v Trinity (5 people will turn up for this)
Hull FC v Hull KR (local derby, cross town rivalry, class rivalry, success v failure rivalry, everyone hates everyone else lets punch on in the stands but as it's Newcastle that's normal Sunday afternoon shite)

Lambretta

First Grade
Personally I don't think the Magic Weekend will work here
Even if we get 100,000 over a weekend in Brisbane, that's a whole lot lower than a normal round

Yes it will look good on TV when the Broncos play, but that's not a problem usually anyway

Double headers make more sense

As for the UK version - I would love to go. A weekend up in Newcastle, 6 Rugby League matches and loads of drunken singalongs

My idea of heaven

unforgiven

Bench
Play it at the Gold Coast:

Friday night (double header or single game tickets)
Storm v Knights
(Pearl Jam)
Parramatta v Warriors

Saturday (triple header tickets, double header tickets or single game)
Canberra v Roosters
(The Proclaimers)
Cronulla v Brisbane
(Thirty Odd Foot of Grunt)
Souths v Sea Eagles

Sunday
Cowboys v Bulldogs
(Rage Against the Machine)
Dragons v Panthers
(Macklemore)
Titans v Tigers
Pearl Jam should be before the Tigers game

Do you know if Newcastle pays for the magic weekend and if other cities are interested in bidding for it?
I think i have read before that they do.
I know from my experience of living and working in the UK that RL fans are big spenders in pubs and bars on match day so that would be a lot of money going into the local economy over the weekend plus all games would be live on TV showing the city in a positive light.

T-Boon

Coach
I think i have read before that they do.
I know from my experience of living and working in the UK that RL fans are big spenders in pubs and bars on match day so that would be a lot of money going into the local economy over the weekend plus all games would be live on TV showing the city in a positive light.

You could make it the first round of the season and make the friday night like an opening ceremony. Get all the current players, the old legends parading around plus all the cheer leaders in next to nothing.

T-Boon

Coach
Pearl Jam can play all games and I'll go to them all

I've been listening to / watching their version of 'rockin' in the free world' from 1992 Pinkpop ad nauseam on the Youtube lately.

I would say that performance has got me back into them in a big way.

unforgiven

Bench
I've been listening to / watching their version of 'rockin' in the free world' from 1992 Pinkpop ad nauseam on the Youtube lately.

I would say that performance has got me back into them in a big way.
That whole gig is amazing, Eddie diving off the Camera crane is gold. For a sport/ music documentary, "lets play two" that was just in the cinemas was amazing!!

TheVelourFog

First Grade
knew this thread would be about f**king Magic Mike Saturday or whatever before i even clicked it

the only surprise is that it wasn't started by T-Boon but it has his stinky fingers all over it

might be a good idea i dont know

ed-grimley

Bench
Play it at the Gold Coast:

Friday night (double header or single game tickets)
Storm v Knights
(Pearl Jam)
Parramatta v Warriors

Saturday (triple header tickets, double header tickets or single game)
Canberra v Roosters
(The Proclaimers)
Cronulla v Brisbane
(Thirty Odd Foot of Grunt)
Souths v Sea Eagles

Sunday
Cowboys v Bulldogs
(Rage Against the Machine)
Dragons v Panthers
(Macklemore)
Titans v Tigers
RATM would get me along to a Titans v Saints match.

Last Week

Bench
If only there was some event that could be held over the course of a day or two, that we could sell to individual cities/stadiums. Perhaps one that is a shortened version of the game so that there is less impact on the players. Hmm...