What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas to boost crowds

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Nope they stopped Junior RL season passes a few years ago

Now you only get 1 game if you can navigate the online process in time
Well no, they haven't stopped the junior passes then, they've just changed the way they do them.

The uptake was already relatively poor compared to the number they gave out, combined with the fact a lot of people prefer to do things online.

Well no, they haven't stopped the junior passes then, they've just changed the way they do them.

The uptake was already relatively poor compared to the number they gave out, combined with the fact a lot of people prefer to do things online.

Yep. It is done online. I'm a retired junior league referee and I get a weekly e-mail from the NRL about my free g/a ticket to games and re-deeming them is not that hard. I dare say they do it that way as that way they won't have to turn away people, including the free ticket holders, when it is at a ground with a smaller capacity 0 which is what used to happen when, for some regular season games, they just ruled entry ineligible for junior league pass holders.

adamkungl

Immortal
The half time entertainment at Roosters today is Minichiello kicking goals for charity. Of which about 4 mins was him failing at putting the ball on the tee for some reason. Then followed by some advertisements.

Riveting stuff.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Yes - it will be up to clubs to decide if they want a curtain raiser.

Wow way to lead Todd.. way to have a strong uniform product..

Just leave it up to clubs,

So where will the 17 players currently in holden cup games actually be playing ?

siv

First Grade

So where will the 17 players currently in holden cup games actually be playing ?

For Parramatta it will be for your feeder team Wenty in a new U20s NSWRL grade. Maybe a return of the Jersey Flegg Cup

DlEHARD

Juniors
I note that AFL has an AFL Supporters Association and they do all kinds of things like compare ticket prices, research and publicise the rip of of dynamic pricing and share photos from around the country of the menu and prices of food and drinks of all stadiums.

Rugby League needs such an organisation to fight for the fans.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Both NSWRL and QRL will be running Under 20's comps. Surely you're not that f**king clueless.

Stallion

First Grade
Reduce ticket entry prices and publicise the offer. Have more daytime games in the colder winter months. Have the clubs consistently wear their main playing strip as much as possible. Play games from Friday evening to Sunday evening.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
once again, stop f**king around with video reviews for every f**king try. i'm sure they're just trying to justify the cost of the bunker and making sure it gets used. so frustrating watching a ref in position to make a call on the field refer to the bunker every time.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Forget any pf that half-time onfield shit. It will always be low quality, just put on some junior games as filler...

What is needed is more activity around the stadium precincts (partly why i want ANZ used more). Create a carnival to buildup the game, like the tailgate parties in the US. We see it for the GF and Origin, i want this every weekend on Sunday at the same time. Make it a weekly ritual and people will start turning up who dont wven care about the football...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Also, a conference based finals system where the first 2 weeks of finals are to pick Conference Champions (who ten go on to play off for GF spots...

With the same teams knocking eachother out every year, the rivalries between these teams woul become massive.

Could even offer extra competition points for games between teams in the same conference just to play up the importance of these matches.

If we had 20 teams in 4 groups of 5, this change would immediately create 80 huge marquee marches each yet (not even mentioning how much bigger the final series would be)...

Valheru

Coach
The half time entertainment at Roosters today is Minichiello kicking goals for charity. Of which about 4 mins was him failing at putting the ball on the tee for some reason. Then followed by some advertisements.

Riveting stuff.

Meanwhile i was in the beer line waiting for my $8.40 VB.

At least it is full strength i suppose

Reactions: Vee

Red Bear

Referee
PS one more
Game day experience
It's probably the least important for some people here, and the old merkins will say "who cares we're there to watch football not sing and listen to music" BUT it ties into the above positive feeling and being part of big events.
I'm not sure the answer is to copy American sports outright or anything like that, but it would be good to see some effort. Most clubs pre-game and half time is dead air. A long, pointless wait after the reserve grade game which makes the idea of showing up to actually watch it completely unappealing.
There are some great ideas floating around the sporting world, even within Rugby League.
Even something as simple as the viking clap has improved Raiders fans enthusiasm for attending games and given them a unique selling point.
Toronto Wolfpack have a craft beer bar at the game. (at Roosters we drink overpriced VB)
Newtown Jets recently tied in a game to a food and beer festival, while American football does tailgate parties pre game - Imagine something like this in that big usually empty Roosters carpark, probably illegal in this stupid arse backwards city anyway but the idea can be adapted.
American sports fill dead airtime with music and performance - maybe it's not for us but again ideas can be adapted.
English fans create their own atmosphere with constant chants and songs.
Just make an effort - the NRL gameday experience around the game (which is usually great) is f**king dire.
It always surprises me that the club that puts the most effort into game day experience is a NSW Cup side. Young Henry's cans are a great match with the footy.

The food/drink at the footy is not just expensive, it's also terrible. Paying through the nose for a pie chips and a VB is a bit galling. American sports manage to give good options at the game, there is some effort put in to the food and you have a range of beers, often decent craft ones.

It's not just families where we are losing fans, it's across different demographics.

Agreed re the Viking Clap, bit naff maybe but it has been effective.

Big crowds then lead to improved atmosphere which increases the likelihood of returning again in the future, but it's getting that initial boost that league is struggling with.

Perth Red

Post Whore
once again, stop f**king around with video reviews for every f**king try. i'm sure they're just trying to justify the cost of the bunker and making sure it gets used. so frustrating watching a ref in position to make a call on the field refer to the bunker every time.

Storm game was painful, every fracking try! Couple of them he is literally 3 foot from the try looking straight at it!