What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Mary leaves now........

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Do you think a new coach can get the job done with 3 or 2 rounds left to play? Personally I don't think he can as the players will be scarred and if they really like Mary, will perform even worse due to them being pi$$ed off at the club for sacking him and maybe look for a release. I think the Dragons board's hands are tied and they need to suck it in for a few more weeks till the season is over and hope the new CEO makes the call we have all been waiting for.

Mary being sacked will feel like a Grand Final win for most on this forum.

rednwhites

Juniors
Good coach or McGregor coach, I am not convinced we have the cattle yet to get the job done, particularly at 1-6.

BankstownDragon

Juniors
Do you think a new coach can get the job done with 3 or 2 rounds left to play? Personally I don't think he can as the players will be scarred and if they really like Mary, will perform even worse due to them being pi$$ed off at the club for sacking him and maybe look for a release. I think the Dragons board's hands are tied and they need to suck it in for a few more weeks till the season is over and hope the new CEO makes the call we have all been waiting for.

Mary being sacked will feel like a Grand Final win for most on this forum.

My not that reliable source in the club told me the same this this morning, the club went move on McGregor with this current management in place. Doust finishes up October 30th and until then its unlikely that anything will happen.

I hope he is wrong and tomorrow morning he is sacked twice and punched in the face on the way out for putting us all through near 5 years of miserable coaching and false hope!

Gareth67

First Grade
My not that reliable source in the club told me the same this this morning, the club went move on McGregor with this current management in place. Doust finishes up October 30th and until then its unlikely that anything will happen.

I hope he is wrong and tomorrow morning he is sacked twice and punched in the face on the way out for putting us all through near 5 years of miserable coaching and false hope!

Mate we all know that he is abysmal as a coach , but he is also a man who was / is trying to do his best . Most unfortunately he simply does not have the necessary skills to do so .

As a person I have no beef with him whatsoever, probably a decent bloke who truly believed that he could make a difference , cant blame him for that .

No way he goes before the end of the year, which in our case is 3 maybe 4 weeks.

But as I said, we make the finals and bomb out the first week our mediocrity accepting board will consider that a successful season.

Personally, I think he remains next year.

Saintsified

Bench
Mate we all know that he is abysmal as a coach , but he is also a man who was / is trying to do his best . Most unfortunately he simply does not have the necessary skills to do so .

As a person I have no beef with him whatsoever, probably a decent bloke who truly believed that he could make a difference , cant blame him for that .
I agree with this, he will also become a better coach year by year, however we Should not be a training ground for anyone, we are a huge club with demands for instant constant success. Mary does not fit this criteria for the mighty St George, fits Steelers though hence why we are a mess.

Brutalitops

Juniors
As much as I believe Mary must be sacked, there's not much point doing it right now.

Do we even have a competent interim coach ready?

I am extremely wary of sacking Mary TOO early. I have nightmares of us sacking Mary expecting Wayne to become available in 2019 rather than 2020, then Brisbane allow him to finish his contract, and suddenly we have a 12 months window until Wayne is ready.

No coach will come for just 12 months so we'll end up with Barrett for 2 or 3 years

Gareth67

First Grade
I agree with this, he will also become a better coach year by year, however we Should not be a training ground for anyone, we are a huge club with demands for instant constant success. Mary does not fit this criteria for the mighty St George, fits Steelers though hence why we are a mess.

Exactly Saintsified ! He does not fit the criteria , so who is really to blame for the mess ? The Joint Venture board are the ones at fault imo . It’s one thing to try a new coach , if he is successful then you renew his contract - which to a point he was in 2015 . But since then it has been all downhill , our hopes are raised high at the beginning of each season as we ride roughshod over the opposition and then of course we are disappointed when the team goes on its yearly downhill slide , more so this year .

The people in the boardroom are safe as they have their scapegoat in Mary and the blame is therefore deflected to him - each season , still they are safe . They may even have a bit of a chuckle knowing that the supporters will ALWAYS blame the coach whereas the real fault lies with those gentlemen from a bygone era who still live in the memories of the golden days . But still they remain safe in their impregnable position on the St.George Illawarra board . Yet then they commit the cardinal sin of renewing a contract of a man who quite clearly lacks the necessary skills to take his team to the trophy.

I believe that the time has arrived for another thread to be started. - Sack the Joint Venture board , as only then will they begin to understand just what their scapegoat has endured and also that their own positions are not as secure as they truly believed for so long now - Sack the Joint Venture board ! !

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach

Maybe, but mary has certainly done things that may make him "unlikable":
  • Putting people under the bus - e.g. JD
  • Constantly saying "no excuses" in the press conference, then proceeding to give about 20 excuses
  • Stupid comments like "trys from kicks", "if the field was 98 m". Not so much this year.
Then there are the things he's done, or not done, as coach which seem arrogant or self-preserving:
  • Only using 16 players during a game
  • Thinking that putting a young guy on the bench for 80 min equates to FG experience
  • Copy and paste teams
  • Not giving young footballers a chance
  • Persevering with non-performing players
  • Not giving tired players a rest soon after SOO
  • Not learning from past mistakes
I don't know the guy. If I met him, I probably wouldn't have a personal problem with him- actually guarantee that last one because he's much bigger than me.

However, to quote "Dirty" Harry Callahan- "a mans got to know his limitations".

Warabrook saint

Juniors

If only he didn't throw everyone under the bus to save his own hide Gareth

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Think your right, Bankstown.
Can never see McGregor walking .............. ( he thinks he's a good coach )
Doust won't sack till new coach is ready to be appointed. ( end of year )

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Maybe, but mary has certainly done things that may make him "unlikable":
  • Putting people under the bus - e.g. JD
  • Constantly saying "no excuses" in the press conference, then proceeding to give about 20 excuses
  • Stupid comments like "trys from kicks", "if the field was 98 m". Not so much this year.
Then there are the things he's done, or not done, as coach which seem arrogant or self-preserving:
  • Only using 16 players during a game
  • Thinking that putting a young guy on the bench for 80 min equates to FG experience
  • Copy and paste teams
  • Not giving young footballers a chance
  • Persevering with non-performing players
  • Not giving tired players a rest soon after SOO
  • Not learning from past mistakes
I don't know the guy. If I met him, I probably wouldn't have a personal problem with him- actually guarantee that last one because he's much bigger than me.

However, to quote "Dirty" Harry Callahan- "a mans got to know his limitations".
Pretty much covers everything I think.....good post

rednwhites

Juniors
It's about now that "well, maybe we just might turn the corner this week" sets in and then about 5 mins into the match McInnes gives away a dumb penalty, 10 mins in Lafai and Aitken start with their 1.5m hitups, Hunt, Dufty and AItken forget how to tackle and about 20 minutes later Mann forgets how to catch or hold onto a ball, not to mention De Belin huffing and puffing...

This same script will play over for the next three or four weeks and then we will be on Mad Monday with everyone high fiving each other.