What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you want a Foxtel league channel...

Hoggy

Bench
Just for your concern there are those that like both sports.

Oh and Melburnians that like rugby league.

:roll:

Talk about pigeon holing.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
I just got a reply before, exact same email as everyone has been saying. I hope they are taking this seriously.

rooster69

Juniors
The AFL Channel is a joke they tried to peddle this for $ 14.95 a month / or a 100 bucks a year from memory .....As an Optus customer when they revamped the Channels/programs I get it free now.........and I STILL dont watch it . But an NRL channel would definitely get my money !!!

Leagueguy

Juniors
How much League do people want?

If you go through the week theres league just about everywhere, everyday , I don't know if we really need a rugby league channel. Start with Mondays, you got it all day with replays of all the games from the weekend, plus league liftours covering all the weekends games and then on Fox you've got NRL Scoreboard which goes for about an hour. Tuesday theres nothing. Wednesday you've got NRL on fox and rugby league week if your really into it. Then thursday, you've got big league, the footy show and that main game show. Friday you've got the actual game, 10 pages of liftouts in the papers and that half hour roundup and preview at the end of the nine game. Then on saturday, up in qld you've got local league, then about 6 hours of supersaturday, + the super saturday preview. Then sunday you've got all the afternoon games + about 5 hours of league talk on the radio from 2gb , 4bc in Brisbane and the ABC. If you add to this the fact you can probably hear close to an hour of league talk every night of the week on 4bc in brisbane or 2ue in sydney on spors today, then how much more league could you want? Also with the internet now you can talk on these forums about league as much as you want and read articles from all the papers about league.

I'd say the reason the AFL channel fails , and the reason an NRL channel wouldn't be as good as it sounds, is theres only so many times you can talk about a game, or preview matches. I think we here enough Cliches and enough commenators talking and saying nothing as it is. The players never really say anything either when there interviewed. The only good thing about a league channel would be replays of old games, but I'd be happy to just see this on fox sports once in a while. Bascially if I feel like I want to read about league, hear about league, talk about it or watch it I don't have to wait long before I can.

Razor

Coach
What C7 was going to show on theirs, was 3 Premier League and 3 QLD Cup games a week, plus Metro Cup finals. They showed Metro cup finals on their regular channels, and were planning to show 2 QLD Cup games on their regular channels when it died. Fox Sports have the rights to the NRL, QLD Cup, ESL, Premier League, so they can show those, plus sign rights to Jim Bean Cup.

Don't know how the Premier League will go though. SportsAustralia showed 2 reserve grade games a week in 1996 and they didn't rate very well.

RICHO

Juniors
Who wants to watch Premier League games on TV???
People won't even turn up an hour early to watch the live before 1st Grade.

Really, there's not much need to a Rugby League channel. Sure, it would be good for those days when you are bored with nothing to do, but it'd be a very expensive thing to do.

They'd charge a bucketload, and no games would be on FoxSports. So not only do you have to pay for Austar/Foxtel, but also extra to watch the footy.

And besides, isn't there a lot of dissent about CHannel 9 only showing 2 games per week? Can't see this helping there.

Parra_Boy

Juniors
The afl footy show is free so I don't see why the Rugby League Channel wouldn't be also.

Why not just have a Rugby Union/League channel, that's more than enough to fill up a weeks worth of viewing.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
I would like all grades on TV. I'd watch Jersey Flegg, Premier League, QLD Cup, Jim Beam, obviously NRL and probably even Bartercard Cup!

dimitri

First Grade
tbe answer is simple

for the sake of RL

instead of showing premier league and jim beam cup

show first divisions from around the world

see the big crowds in russia

watch quality games from france

see enthusiastic players from png

etc etc

aus
eng
nz - bartercard cup
pacific
russia
france
etc etc etc

and the amnrl

that would make a great channel with plenty of variety

rugged

Juniors
I think some retro games would be great to add in, like games from the 70s etc and some old tests. Wouldn't cost them much to show them surely.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Actually, yes the retro games cost a fortune.
fox Sports have tried continuosly to get old games but the NRL make it price prohibitive.
Fox Sports would also like to pay nothing, of course.
Fox Sports is a dedicated NRL Channel. It is the flag ship product. There is more than enough league content to watch.

As for C7's plan to televise lower comps, what a load of crap that was. The cost of running an outside broadcast unit & the lack of viewers for the product would have killed that idea at conception.
Peoples eyes would pop at the amount of money 1 OB unit costs for a day.
That C7 plan will only work when a relegation system of comps is in place. Maybe.
As for more NRL stuff one area being investigated is club based programming. Perhaps along the line of Storm Talk. But better. The active service may come into play here.

As for Foxtel wanting the AFL channel to die, that is not the case.
They want the channel to evolve int o it's own entity & not be part of Foxtel, as all other channels are. The channel has immense value & rates well. I don't know why.

So, there will oneday be an NRL channel, most likely run by Fox Sports. There will also be an AFL channel a golf channel a cricket channel & a soccer channel & perhaps a motorsports channel.
All it takes is for penetration to get higher.

Big Bunny

Juniors
blacktip-reefy said:
Actually, yes the retro games cost a fortune.
fox Sports have tried continuosly to get old games but the NRL make it price prohibitive.

The NRL has nothing to do with the broadcast of retro matches. The games are owned lock stock and barrel by the television networks that originally broadcast them.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
I think We should run a Poll, which will get Hundreds of Hits, and im sure we would get 1 99% YES vote.

Send that Poll to these guys.

Better than having 10 emails sent.

Cheers.

RICHO

Juniors
How much time do you guys have?!?!?
You seriously can't watch THAT much Rugby League!!!
Do you have no life?!?
LOL