What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IGN's top 100 modern video games

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I know you already know, but everyone else would have it in their top 5 modern games.....it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people say it is close to the best game of all time. That and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are my top two modern video-games, without peer, not even GTA4 comes close to those two in my opinion. Mass Effect 2 was amazing but, honestly, despite my massive Bioware bias, it can't hold a candle to those two.

If you said greatest interactive movie of all time you might have a bit more credence. Honestly who wants to sit through an opening cinematic that goes for 45 minutes full of contrived, cliche, japanese drivel before you can even start the game. Unfortunately that wasn't the last of it... Play for 5 minutes watch another 20 minute cinematic... Honestly I think I invested about 8-10 hours of my time into that game wanting to enjoy it, it's a shame I only really played the game for about an hour. I loved every MGS game in the series, except for 4, I hated it with such venom that I will not even consider playing the next one irrespective of how cool it looks.

It was painful, and unless you're a glutton for punishment I don't understand how you could enjoy it. Splinter cell conviction did stealth gameplay a bucketload better, and you can play any japanese RPG for a better quirky japanese story. Very few people I know actually finished it, they got so sick of all the videos.

Mass Effect 2 was 1000x better, and I'm being generous to MGS4. Compelling story, great gameplay, fantastic graphics and mechanics that allowed even casual gamers to enjoy it. MGS4 isn't even remotely close to mass effect 2, it's not even remotely close to mass effect 1.

Last edited:

user_nat

Coach
Were they scared of naming 2 games from the same franchise? How can you have ME2 as the number 1 game and not have Mass Effect in the top 100.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I love the ME franchise but ME2 was always a let down somewhat in that it ditched so much of the RPG stuff to dumb it down for the masses. Cannot wait for ME3 but best game of the current generation? I dunno.. ME1 was more revolutionary IMO.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mass Effect 1 was better in both Gameplay depth and story imo. My favourite game of this generation by far.

boxhead

First Grade
Anyone who says MGS4 is the best game of all time should be ignored

I don't think it is but I can understand why some would have it there. It is easily one of the most highly rated games of this generation.

almost everyone else then, because I believe MGS is just plain balls

That's understandable, it's the type of game of which you either love it or hate it.

If you said greatest interactive movie of all time you might have a bit more credence. Honestly who wants to sit through an opening cinematic that goes for 45 minutes full of contrived, cliche, japanese drivel before you can even start the game. Unfortunately that wasn't the last of it... Play for 5 minutes watch another 20 minute cinematic... Honestly I think I invested about 8-10 hours of my time into that game wanting to enjoy it, it's a shame I only really played the game for about an hour. I loved every MGS game in the series, except for 4, I hated it with such venom that I will not even consider playing the next one irrespective of how cool it looks.

It was painful, and unless you're a glutton for punishment I don't understand how you could enjoy it. Splinter cell conviction did stealth gameplay a bucketload better, and you can play any japanese RPG for a better quirky japanese story. Very few people I know actually finished it, they got so sick of all the videos.

Mass Effect 2 was 1000x better, and I'm being generous to MGS4. Compelling story, great gameplay, fantastic graphics and mechanics that allowed even casual gamers to enjoy it. MGS4 isn't even remotely close to mass effect 2, it's not even remotely close to mass effect 1.

:lol: Mate, it doesn't change the fact it is one of the most beloved, most highly acclaimed games of all time.

Were they scared of naming 2 games from the same franchise? How can you have ME2 as the number 1 game and not have Mass Effect in the top 100.

It is ridiculous, indeed.

boxhead

First Grade
I know you already know, but everyone else would have it in their top 5 modern games.....it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people say it is close to the best game of all time. That and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are my top two modern video-games, without peer, not even GTA4 comes close to those two in my opinion. Mass Effect 2 was amazing but, honestly, despite my massive Bioware bias, it can't hold a candle to those two.

<sigh>
I was drunk on something.

I can't honestly say what my top modern video-game would be. I loved ME2 but I don't think it is number 1. Again, GTA4, SMG2, MGS4, and I'll even throw in Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted 2.

I wouldn't put MGS4 in my top 30 of all time and not top 20 modern.

It wasn't great and it wasn't bad just an average movie with the odd gameplay here and there

I love the ME franchise but ME2 was always a let down somewhat in that it ditched so much of the RPG stuff to dumb it down for the masses. Cannot wait for ME3 but best game of the current generation? I dunno.. ME1 was more revolutionary IMO.
Same thing happened to Uncharted 2 with much more of a shooter influence and multiplayer

Last edited:

bomberman

Juniors

They had a ton of Mario games in there. Mass Effect should have been in there somewhere., pretty lame effort with that.

adamkungl

Immortal
Twilight Princess, although a fantastic game, simply wasn't groundbreaking. It was like Ocarina of Time with better graphics, but less brilliant. Justified.

Parra Pride

Coach
Though not as good as Ocariba of Time, which to be fair not many games are, it was still a great game in it's own right, as are most Zelda games.

boxhead

First Grade
Yet it didn't make the top 100 cut. Just shows that it really stood the test of time.

#-o You obviously didn't read TT's initial post, he quite clearly states that they only had one game from each series in the list, and for some reason they picked Peace Walker.
You want proof; they didn't put Mass Effect 1 in there either, and we all know that should be top 100 if not top 40 at least.
If IGN had brains, they would have had it in the top 20 at the very least. Consider that it has a review average of 94.

whall15

Coach
What a shit list how does FIFA make it but not Football Manager and the lack of Gran Turismo is criminal.

Latest posts