What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im supporting Steve Smith

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't it a bit odd that three batsmen have been done for ball tampering, and not a single bowler? And none of the bowlers even knew anything about it? It's a bit odd, right?
Not really.

Batsmen don't know jack shit about bowling, so i'd expect those stupid pricks to be f**king around with a piece of equipment they can't use.

/sarcasm

blaza88z

Coach
Our team is going to get walloped but I am happy with the punishments handed down

I don't think it's right to compare this punishment with how other countries deal with it (let's be honest.. they don't, the ICC does)

This was the worst case of ball tampering ever seen, I don't care who you are.. think about ball tampering, what it is and what you're actually trying to achieve, taking sandpaper out onto the field and grinding it into the abrasive side of the ball is as blatant as it gets when it comes to cheating. They deserved the book thrown at them and they got it, anyone saying otherwise is only considering the short-term and has no care for the integrity of the sport

Last edited:
Our team is going to get walloped but I am happy with the punishments handed down

I don't think it's right to compare this punishment with how other countries deal with it (let's be honest.. they don't, the ICC does)

This was the worst case of ball tampering ever seen, I don't care who you are.. think about ball tampering, what it is and what you're actually trying to achieve, taking sandpaper out onto the field and grinding it into the abrasive side of the ball is as blatant as it gets when it comes to cheating. They deserved the book thrown at them and they got it, anyone saying otherwise is only considering the short-term and has no care for the integrity of the sport
"This was the worst case of ball tampering ever seen"....yes, it was. Is that because it's the greatest attempt by a team to alter the ball? Or just the most ham-fisted? Or is it that this time we have video evidence?

The truth is that the reality of the way cricket is played is too far removed from the casual fan, and everyone had been profiting from that. When the truth became impossible to conceal, the authorities went for scapegoats. Gotta keep sponsors happy. The scapegoats will pay a higher price than their colleagues, and in that respect it's not fair, but in the long run they will come out on top.

myrrh ken

First Grade
The best example of ball tampering was 2005 ashes and the use of murrays mints. Extremely effective and we didnt have a clue.

Even though it was technically within the rules, england agreed not to do it again. I wonder why.

billygilmore

Juniors
Smith has copped more shit from the baying self righteous crowd than Jesus

Quite an apt Easter message, crucify him crucify him.

I blame social media for giving morons a soapbox.

They should have got him to do his press conferences while nailed to a cross then finished with all 3 of them nailed up singing “always look on the bright side of life”

Pete Cash

Post Whore

its not the worst case of ball tampering ever seen.

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...o/news-story/e6273b668758d4a8037bbf89ea991650

TEAM selector Mark Waugh is keen to see Australian cricket’s banned Test trio wear the Baggy Green again and says the team’s maligned culture is no different to past eras.

As Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft weigh up challenging their lengthy bans from the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal, Waugh has deflected criticism of officials for not doing enough to discourage poor behaviour in the side.

The batting great backed the trio’s character and their ability to return to international cricket, and wouldn’t be surprised if Smith and Warner appeal their 12-month bans and Bancroft his nine.

“I would (pick them), for sure,” Waugh told Sky Sports Radio on Tuesday. “My personal contact with these three guys is they’re all good people. They’re very fine players.

“They’ve made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. This is a major one.

“We all hope they bounce back to their best form when the penalties are finished. We should all look at the facts and you’ve got to let them back into the fold again. You’ve got to forgive them.”

The Australian team’s reputation has taken a battering since Bancroft was found to have used sandpaper on the ball during the third Test at Newlands, with Cricket Australia’s investigation also finding vice-captain David Warner instigated the plan and captain Smith failed to stop it.

Waugh, who regularly tours with the side, rejected the notion the scandal was the result of a poor culture amid widespread criticism of players’ on-field sledging.

“I might be missing something, but I don’t see this team as any different as any other team from previous eras,” he said.

fe4abae49e6183ea2567d9bed4530fee

“Of course there’s the odd individual player who’ll push the boundaries. That’s always happened and is going to happen.

“But to then say because of that there’s a whole toxic culture of Australian cricket, I’m just not seeing that.

“I think that people are drawing a long bow there, saying the whole cricket culture’s toxic. Most of this team, they’re so quiet on the field. You run through the players, there’s not too many guys there up and in your face.”

Waugh believes the International Cricket Council remains in a position to prevent ball-tampering scandals and also bad on-field behaviour. “If there were stiffer penalties in place, it wouldn’t have happened,” he said.

“If you know you’re going to get six months or 10 games for ball tampering, do you think it’s going to go on? Or if you’re going to sledge someone in an aggressive way, if you’re going to get 10 games, do you think they’ll be much of it?

“I think the ICC out of this will certainly ramp up their penalties and that’ll help the game as well.”

myrrh ken

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...o/news-story/e6273b668758d4a8037bbf89ea991650

TEAM selector Mark Waugh is keen to see Australian cricket’s banned Test trio wear the Baggy Green again and says the team’s maligned culture is no different to past eras.

As Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft weigh up challenging their lengthy bans from the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal, Waugh has deflected criticism of officials for not doing enough to discourage poor behaviour in the side.

The batting great backed the trio’s character and their ability to return to international cricket, and wouldn’t be surprised if Smith and Warner appeal their 12-month bans and Bancroft his nine.

“I would (pick them), for sure,” Waugh told Sky Sports Radio on Tuesday. “My personal contact with these three guys is they’re all good people. They’re very fine players.

“They’ve made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. This is a major one.

“We all hope they bounce back to their best form when the penalties are finished. We should all look at the facts and you’ve got to let them back into the fold again. You’ve got to forgive them.”

The Australian team’s reputation has taken a battering since Bancroft was found to have used sandpaper on the ball during the third Test at Newlands, with Cricket Australia’s investigation also finding vice-captain David Warner instigated the plan and captain Smith failed to stop it.

Waugh, who regularly tours with the side, rejected the notion the scandal was the result of a poor culture amid widespread criticism of players’ on-field sledging.

“I might be missing something, but I don’t see this team as any different as any other team from previous eras,” he said.

fe4abae49e6183ea2567d9bed4530fee

“Of course there’s the odd individual player who’ll push the boundaries. That’s always happened and is going to happen.

“But to then say because of that there’s a whole toxic culture of Australian cricket, I’m just not seeing that.

“I think that people are drawing a long bow there, saying the whole cricket culture’s toxic. Most of this team, they’re so quiet on the field. You run through the players, there’s not too many guys there up and in your face.”

Waugh believes the International Cricket Council remains in a position to prevent ball-tampering scandals and also bad on-field behaviour. “If there were stiffer penalties in place, it wouldn’t have happened,” he said.

“If you know you’re going to get six months or 10 games for ball tampering, do you think it’s going to go on? Or if you’re going to sledge someone in an aggressive way, if you’re going to get 10 games, do you think they’ll be much of it?

“I think the ICC out of this will certainly ramp up their penalties and that’ll help the game as well.”

Agree with the sentiment. Although M Waugh did take cash from an Indian bookie for "weather reports" and "pitch information".

Latest posts