What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortality

18to87

First Grade
Does anyone here take any drugs, supplements or have any regimens that they use for longevity?

God-King Dean

Immortal
8.jpg

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The spice melange from the desert planet Arrakis is good for longevity -

"The spice has given me excelerated evolution for four thousand years." Third stage Spacing Guild Navigator.

Ridders

Coach
Collect the 7 Dragonballs, raise Shenron (or Porunga if your on Namek in which case you would need a Namekian to raise the dragon for you), and then make your wish.

Immortality is over-rated though. Just as Garlic Jr.

Danish

Referee
Gooogle a bloke named Ben Abba.... he seems to think that immortality is possible and even produces a podcast on the various techniques to do so.

He also has a book where he interviews a supposedly 2800 year old man for the low low price of US$27 :sarcasm:

roopy

Referee
It's probably more the other way around - you can cut years off your life by poor lifestyle choices (smoking, drinking too much, being overweight, not getting enough exercise), but you can't add more than a few years maybe by getting stuck into the anti oxidents, omega 3s, vitamins, etc that are supposed to slow down the ageing process.
A healthy lifestyle and a good diet is the main thing - but you should also make sure you don't develop disease like diabetes, because untreated diabetes will knock years off your life, while treating it properly will mean you can live a normal lifespan.

DeeJ

Bench
I've read articles that limiting your calorie intake will increase your lifespan. Experiments have shown that it works in mice and there are some that believe the same will work with humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction

I read an article a few years ago about a man that was doing this. For lunch he would eat half a slice of wholegrain bread, half a boiled egg and a couple slices of apple. He was also constantly cold because his body didn't have enough energy for warmth.

GB!

Juniors
just incase anyone missed it:

Yeah calorie restriction certainly is quite popular for people aiming to life a long life.

Eating like a caveman is supposed to extend lifespan also and reduce the chances of getting cancer etc.

Also it is interesting that some of countries like Japan and Korea where many people smoke, do not have as high instance of cancer. They eat a lot of raw foods and fish. Where as the western diet and smoking is a deadly combination.

Martli

Coach
No, but I do listen to Immortal. Does that count?

If it makes you want to go hiking in the mountains of Norway with nothing but a few swords then, probably.

At least, that's how I feel when I listen to Immortal.

roopy

Referee
The longest lived community in the 'anglo' world are the seventh day adventists in California.
They don't do anything weird like starving themselves, although what they do was seen as weird 100 years ago when they started doing it.
They actually invented the idea of cereals for breakfast, with the guy who invented Corn Flakes, Kellog, being a Californian seventh day adventist - and in Australia they run the sanitarium health food company that makes many of our most popular cereals including weet bix.
Basically, they don't drink, don't smoke, eat vegetarian diet with a strong emphasis on nuts and grains.
With all the efforts they go to, their average life span is less than a decade longer than the rest of us, but i live near a community of seventh day adventists in NSW that was started in the 1890s, and they usually stay fit and robust well into their 60s or 70s, so they have a good quality of life.