What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of Super Rugby's structure change on the NRL

Which team would you like to see gone?

• Western Force

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • ACT Brumbies

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Melbourne Rebels

Votes: 24 37.5%

• Total voters

PaulyTom

Juniors
With the Super 18 rugby format being analysed in London on Friday it would appear that the Australian conference could lose 1 or 2 teams.

What impact will that have on the NRL ? And any future growth/ expansion?

At present Western Force and Brumbies are on very thin ice. This could only mean good things for the Raiders who would get exclusivity to talent/support in that area . GWS have a lose presence in Canberra due to the lack of games and the deeper connection to Western Sydney. The Raiders as a team have turned things around in the past few years and started to grow their fanbase to levels not seen since the glory days of Grand final wins in the late 80s early 90s. The loss of the Brumbies would only solidify the Raiders brand in Canberra.

Expansion- If the Force were to fold it would open up an opportunity for the NRL to expand in the coming years .

If the Melbourne Rebels were to fold I doubt there would be much of an impact for the Storm , they may see a slight increase in crowds and membership with the large kiwi supporter base hungry for some form of Rugby.

Valheru

Coach
I would be stunned if the brumbies folded. They seem to have decent support over the years in Canberra. The force are unlikely also given their geographically startegic position as a pit stop for SA teams on the way to east coast of Australia and/or NZ.

The rebels will be the team to go as they have been an abject failure from day one. As you say, that will have no impact (positive or negative) on the NRL.

I voted Brumbies because it would be the funniest. I remember John O'Neill (not the league legend from Gunnedah) boasting about vichyball owning Canberra (that was the only place he could come up with) so this would be gold.

The Rebels don't seem to worry the Storm and there's no point the Force going because there will never be a Perth NRL team while the game is run by the current oxygen thieves.

hellteam

First Grade
I live in Melbourne and I have not seen or heard one mention of the Rebels. If they were gone no one would bat an eyelid. I don't think it would have too much of an impact either way on the Storm.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Doubt they will dump the brumbies that would be a cataclysmic failure on behalf of the ARU. They seem to have a widespread support across Nsw so do dump them will alienate the most 'rugby' fans compared to say Perth or Melbourne.

I think they will actually keep 5 sides and they will just change the 18 team format to conferences of 6 or something like that. The most radical change would be a Trans Tasman comp less RSA but that would mean abandoning their significant tv revenue input.

Never understood they do it as a franchise league when the likes of NZ and RSA have provincial unions with lots of history, I always thought they should make super rugby the equivalent to the European club cup and focus more on the domestic league in each country. But maybe that's just my club centric British up bringing

Red Bear

Referee
Perth going would be a pretty good opportunity to jump in there for the NRL.

The Brumbies going would be piss funny, but not great for the Raiders. Would be the end of a new stadium in the CBD with some sort of insulation against the crap winters we get here.

Rebels are in a position where they are financially sound despite being complete shit in every other department.

It's lose lose lose for ARU if they have to cut a side. They either remove a side in a reasonably strong (but small) Union area or they admit defeat in expansion areas, incl. the second biggest city in Australia. Or they maintain five sides, spread the talent thinly and continue to suck the top level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Raiderdave

First Grade
Perth going would be a pretty good opportunity to jump in there for the NRL.

The Brumbies going would be piss funny, but not great for the Raiders. Would be the end of a new stadium in the CBD with some sort of insulation against the crap winters we get here.

Rebels are in a position where they are financially sound despite being complete shit in every other department.

It's lose lose lose for ARU if they have to cut a side. They either remove a side in a reasonably strong (but small) Union area or they admit defeat in expansion areas, incl. the second biggest city in Australia. Or they maintain five sides, spread the talent thinly and continue to suck the top level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

yeah
poor old toffball is on a hiding to nothing regardless of what they end up doing & how they spin it

enjoy you pims sucking F witz : )

taipan

Referee
Well what's the decision by the leather patch mob?It's near 5am in London Saturday.
Are they all p*ssed from sucking on too much Pimms?

My recommendation would be two teams in each country.No one gives a rat's rectum about the Rebs or Farce.

Billythekid

First Grade
I can't see them actually cutting a team. It would be the beginning of the end for Australian rugby IMO. It's dancing around the big issue anyway and that is that super rugby in its current format isn't tenable. They need to rethink the whole thing and IMO either break it into smaller groups. Even then I'm not sure if that will turn things around in Australia.

axl rose

Bench
I can't see them actually cutting a team. It would be the beginning of the end for Australian rugby IMO. It's dancing around the big issue anyway and that is that super rugby in its current format isn't tenable. They need to rethink the whole thing and IMO either break it into smaller groups. Even then I'm not sure if that will turn things around in Australia.

No choice, cant afford to bail them out every year. My heart bleeds. They had shed loads of cash after the 2003 World Cup but they pissed it away on god knows what, probably that dud Folau or Saliors salary.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It shows what can happen to your sport if it gets buried on pay tv only. Without fta main stream coverage both aleague and super15 will remain non entities. Sadly we can see the same for rugby league in England.

T to the T

Juniors
As I've mentioned elsewhere, if the Farce are cut, the NRL needs to ramp up it's Perth expansion efforts immediately. A major charm offensive to fill the void.

Axing the Brumbies or the Webels won't affect the NRL really, Perth is the market NRL wants and needs

PaulyTom

Juniors
Brumbies axing will help raiders dominate the ACT and potentially hold off AFLs surge into the ACT and NSW country

Diesel

Referee
As I've mentioned elsewhere, if the Farce are cut, the NRL needs to ramp up it's Perth expansion efforts immediately. A major charm offensive to fill the void.

Axing the Brumbies or the Webels won't affect the NRL really, Perth is the market NRL wants and needs
Surely someone at HQ would be thinking that way, but... Grant and the other commissioners left are too busy making sure they stay on the gravy train along with the clubs who are trying to get their two fingers into they pie.

FFS, they're useless when it comes to vision