What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inconsistent Suspensions

davi

Juniors
The Tyson Frizzel one was beyond ridiculous. Of all the inane, moronic decisions ever concluded this was the worst. The referee moved towards him and he placed his hand on the guys back to make sure he didn't back in further and cop a wallop. It was totally instinctive.

A suspension for ensuring care of a referee was my read on that one. Brilliant.

Its silly because Semi Radradra bowled over a ref last weekend and escaped a suspension.

Get some consistency NRL!!!!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...g/news-story/ae2ff70d346f00ebb3130e29647d7e7b

TheDMC

Bench
Curtis Scott gets a very lenient two weeks for punching Dylan Walker in the face, but Andrew McCullough gets just a $1,100 fine for face punching Chris Satae three/four times while the bloke is utterly defenceless (being held by McGuire).

Was it because Scott can actually punch? Or because McCullough is a Bronco? Probably just usual NRL incompetence...

Meth

Staff member
Curtis Scott gets a very lenient two weeks for punching Dylan Walker in the face, but Andrew McCullough gets just a $1,100 fine for face punching Chris Satae three/four times while the bloke is utterly defenceless (being held by McGuire).

Was it because Scott can actually punch? Or because McCullough is a Bronco? Probably just usual NRL incompetence...

Almost undoubtedly. I'm not sure that it should, but the effectiveness of the punch and damage caused comes into play.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess leading with the elbow was also considered a factor as a contributor to the incident, and his wet lettuce attempt at hitting him lol

But since when has there been consistency in punishments in NRL?

TheDMC

Bench
Almost undoubtedly. I'm not sure that it should, but the effectiveness of the punch and damage caused comes into play.

If that does, then so should the dogness of (trying) to hit a bloke who was being restrained and couldn't defend himself. McGuire should get horsewhipped too. I'm okay with 'extra' penalties for damage caused, but the base offence (throwing connecting punches with intent to injure) should see the merkin miss a few games (but then Scott should have missed more than two weeks...).

End of the day Broncos came out of this malarky with less punishment than the Warriors got, which is stupid. Oh well. At least we wasted them.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I'm personally pretty neutral about the whole "bring back the biff/don't bring back the biff" debate.

However in the context of the biff now being summarily banned, it is completely outrageous to not suspend someone who lined someone up and let 3 or 4 punches go with nothing coming back.

Is it now "sin bin only" to throw as many as you want on anyone who commits a reportable offence? So we basically have a "square-up" rule?

2 weeks

Coach
I'm personally pretty neutral about the whole "bring back the biff/don't bring back the biff" debate.

However in the context of the biff now being summarily banned, it is completely outrageous to not suspend someone who lined someone up and let 3 or 4 punches go with nothing coming back.

Is it now "sin bin only" to throw as many as you want on anyone who commits a reportable offence? So we basically have a "square-up" rule?

I'm working off the theory that the NRL only gave McCullough a fine because he floats like a bee and stings like a butterfly.

no name

Coach
These f**king dopes painted themselves into a corner and now look like dickheads.
It would be absurd to think any of McCulloch, Satae or McGuire SHOULD be suspended but going on precedence, all three probably should.

McCulloch - see Curtis Scott
Satae- see Sam Burgess
McGuire - see Tyson Frizell.

FWIW I think it is BS that Satae even got caught up in any of that, the contact was very innocuous and you could find dozens of similar incidents a game.
McCulloch should be in the most shit for escalating a nothing incident.

blaza88z

Coach

I like how you think that the fact the bloke was being held has anything to do with the penalty that was handed out, you just threw that in there because you wanted to make it sound 10 times worse than it actually was

I notice you made no mention of the forearm to the throat which is what instigated this whole thing, do you work for the Telegraph at all?

SBD82

Coach
Doesn't McCullough have to plead guilty to take the fine?

Pretty sure he should fight it. He'd have no chance of winning. But no way in hell that he should admit that he was trying to throw punches. The embarrassment would be far more detrimental to his career than a couple of weeks off.

mave

Coach
I remember a guy getting a 4 week suspension for being allegedly drunk at a club function.

no name

Coach
I like how you think that the fact the bloke was being held has anything to do with the penalty that was handed out, you just threw that in there because you wanted to make it sound 10 times worse than it actually was

I notice you made no mention of the forearm to the throat which is what instigated this whole thing, do you work for the Telegraph at all?
Haha, people bring up the fact he is being held back because it renders Satae defenceless.
The punches could have caused some serious damage if the bloke throwing them wasn’t a complete powder puff.

The fact he was held back should be one of the major contributors to his punishment.

TheDMC

Bench

Dunno dude but punching someone in the face who is being held by someone else is not seen as a fair fight where I come from. Maybe it is standard fare in your neck of the woods?

Card Shark

Immortal
Raiders aren’t happy with the 10 week Wighton suspension & reckon it’s because the NRL took it easy on lodge.

They have had some f**kwits down there & have always taken a hard stance. 6 weeks that they proposed is probably a bit lenient but they deserved to get a break given their previous stance.

Meth

Staff member
Satae's was way more innocuous than Burgess'

McCulloch though should be facing 2 weeks, whether he landed his punches or not.

blaza88z

Coach
Dunno dude but punching someone in the face who is being held by someone else is not seen as a fair fight where I come from. Maybe it is standard fare in your neck of the woods?

Does a fair or unfair fight hold any weight when penalties are handed out?

Latest posts