What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury update

Luke Bowden

First Grade
On the bright side... Critter is better under the high ball.... I will miss Sauce, but one thing I won’t miss is him standing under a bomb.

Hopefully it turns out better than reported.

OldPanther

Coach
Not Great, Poor Sauce!

Bugger. That is really shit.

f**king hell. I feel terrible for the guy.

The circumstances of his two injuries have also been so unlucky - his ACL was done in an unlikely accidental knock from Josh Dugan, and Don’s flying knee to the head was also freakishly unlucky.

My wife is even more devastated than me. He is her favourite player. True to female form she said to me “will he still look as good once they fix his face?”

Haha typical.

TheFrog

Coach
I'm a touch astounded that the game allows players to fly through the air with knees cocked causing this sort of injury. I know it wasn't deliberate, but it was reckless. People are held to account every day for causing injuries through incidents that weren't deliberate, but were forseeable and preventable. The NRL needs to follow OH&S best practice or it will find itself on the wrong end of a huge damages payout one of these days.

I'm a touch astounded that the game allows players to fly through the air with knees cocked causing this sort of injury. I know it wasn't deliberate, but it was reckless. People are held to account every day for causing injuries through incidents that weren't deliberate, but were forseeable and preventable. The NRL needs to follow OH&S best practice or it will find itself on the wrong end of a huge damages payout one of these days.

Oh&s best practice is pretty murky territory for a contact sport.

If that was ruled reckless I’d be more upset than the injury, softening the game too much will cause it to lose uniqueness.

mxlegend99

Referee
I guess its time to prepare for life after Mansour. I love the guy. But if we need to replace him for the rest of the year... we might aswell make it a permanent change.

Samoan Sauce is getting the same run Blake had in 2015. He was supposed to be short term yet has played every single game he has been fit for aside from last year when dropped for drinking with Moylan.

Crichton has been less of a liability than Blake in 2015 also. Can only imagine like Blake that he will be better for the run.

mxlegend99

Referee
I actually think this may work in our favour for retaining him. If the club wants to of course.
Actually it very well could help.

But is he worth re-signing for us? He will have missed more than a seasons worth of footy between 2017 and 2018.

He has been a beast getting us up the field. But that was more important when we had Moylan at fullback. Crichton isnt nearly as effective as Sauce yet. But by Round 1 next year that could change.

Actually it very well could help.

But is he worth re-signing for us? He will have missed more than a seasons worth of footy between 2017 and 2018.

He has been a beast getting us up the field. But that was more important when we had Moylan at fullback. Crichton isnt nearly as effective as Sauce yet. But by Round 1 next year that could change.

Yeah it’ll depend on a few factors, Chricton or potentially someone else performing is the key one.

OldPanther

Coach

If you run and jump like that your knee will raise naturally. It's almost 100% unavoidable.

mxlegend99

Referee
If you run and jump like that your knee will raise naturally. It's almost 100% unavoidable.
Yeah I hate seeing our guys injured. But Don didnt do anything wrong. Its just terrible luck.

If we watched most kick contests legs go all over the place. The issue here was Mansour is standing rather than leaping. He wanted to make the tackle... presumably having flashbacks to Feldt last year and things went bad.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Yeah I hate seeing our guys injured. But Don didnt do anything wrong. Its just terrible luck.

If we watched most kick contests legs go all over the place. The issue here was Mansour is standing rather than leaping. He wanted to make the tackle... presumably having flashbacks to Feldt last year and things went bad.

Whilst I agree with you, I don’t believe for a second that Don did anything wrong. Sam Burgess got 2 weeks for an incident that was not that dissimilar.

I think the Don can consider himself lucky.

Exactly. If that’s considered reckless then it almost impossible for an attacking player to compete for the ball. A defensive player can jump standing still but an attacking player is on the run.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Whilst I agree with you, I don’t believe for a second that Don did anything wrong. Sam Burgess got 2 weeks for an incident that was not that dissimilar.

Perhaps your right.

I have a feeling that Sauce could stay. I hope so. The pain from an injury like this would be nasty too. I suppose he's eating through a straw too. Get well sauce.

They’re not similar because it’s possible to run into defenders without lifting your elbow.

It’s impossible for an attacking player to jump without bending their knees.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
They’re not similar because it’s possible to run into defenders without lifting your elbow.

It’s impossible for an attacking player to jump without bending their knees.

95% of the big boys running into the line, brace themselves just as Sam did. No one means to contact the throat or head but sometimes it happens.

Players jump for the ball with their knees raised to brace for the contact just as Don did. No one means to contact the throat or head but sometimes it happens.

IMO they are pretty similar.

I don’t think either player should be punished.

95% of the big boys running into the line, brace themselves just as Sam did. No one means to contact the throat or head but sometimes it happens.

Players jump for the ball with their knees raised to brace for the contact just as Don did. No one means to contact the throat or head but sometimes it happens.

IMO they are pretty similar.

I don’t think either player should be punished.

You bend your knees naturally from a running jump, it’s not a bracing technique for the impact.

Latest posts