What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury Updates

Gronk

Staff member
Moses’ heroics were topped only by those of Bryce Cartwright, who suffered a rib injury in the opening exchanges.

“He could be out one week, he could be out four, but he’s also every chance of playing on Monday,” Arthur said of Cartwright. “He’d had rib issues before. It’s now a case of how much pain he can tolerate.

He got needled the other day at half-time and told me he’ll see how much longer he can keep going, and gave as much as he could. He lasted 52 minutes. If he asks me to give him every opportunity to play this week, I’ll give him until Sunday because he’s earned that right.”

emjaycee

Coach
Fox Sports Team list update.

It’s also emerged that backrower Bryce Cartwright is set to be sidelined for potentially four weeks with a rib injury according to The Daily Telegraph. However, the SMH is also reporting the severity of the injury still is unknown and the publication is reporting he could even take the field on Easter Monday if he can manage his pain.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Yep, nothing official it seems.

I think I saw a BA interview quote floating around, saying they'd give Carty up until Sunday to say whether he thought he'd be ok to play, because he's earnt that right.

eels_fan

First Grade
From NRL Physio socials (@nrlphysio)

Mitch Moses and his foot fracture are the Patreon Injury of the Week.

Surgery on Monday with an expected 8 week return, but this isn’t a fracture you want to rush!

Poor blood supply, tricky rehab, high re-fracture rate? All discussed in the Patreon Casualty Ward this week:

Mitch Moses - Jones fracture

Had surgery to stabilise a Jones fracture on Monday. Is a fracture of the bone on the pinky toe side of your foot (called the 5th metatarsal), and in short it’s one of the bones in the foot you don’t want to break. Why? The 5th metatarsal has a particularly poor blood supply, so healing and recovery times are more unpredictable. There a few tendons that attach onto this bone and often pull on the area of healing too.

It’s not the most common injury so we only have a few recent examples in NRL players:

Reed Mahoney - 10 week return to play
Aaron Woods - 12 week return to play (initially was aiming for an 8 week return to play)

The usual return to play range for this fracture type + surgery is 8-12 weeks, and those recent examples illustrate that. The important point here is considering the nature of Jones fractures (poor blood supply, extended healing times, tendon attachments etc) - trying to accelerate a return can have nasty consequences. Pushing rehab progress too quickly can cause increased soreness and actually extend the return date. But the real concern is that the rate of re-fracture and requiring a 2nd surgery globally in elite athletes is approx 20-25% - in the NFL it sits at 20% but they typically aim for a return in 6-8 weeks. So a case where accelerating a return is definitely possible, but doesn’t come without risk!

A great recent example of this (cross sport) is Lisandro Martinez (Manchester United football/soccer player). Returned to sport at 11 weeks post surgery, then re-fractured at approx 20 weeks post and required a 2nd surgical procedure.

The Eels are reportedly aiming for a return around the 8 week mark post surgery, which would track about right but re-injury risk is the main concern here.

Expected return - Rd 11-15

Every injured player is covered in depth like this each week in the NRL Physio Patreon Casualty Ward - over 55 players & 6000 words just this week! All related back to NRL SuperCoach & Fantasy too.

patreon.com/nrlphysio to check it out!

JokerEel

Coach

Round 12 for Mitch
Round 8 or so for Carty

Dunster ankle injury doubt we see him again
Mataele another Hammy injury

Gronk

Staff member
Can't we medically retire Haze? I mean, blind Freddy can see he can't run at pace any more.
I know that he is taking up a slot in the Top 30 and that he is the butt of jokes on here, but the guy was most definitely part of our young gen coming through and a victim of the worst (?) hip-drop so far in NRL history.

Walk a mile in another man’s shoes.