What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Issues

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Fellow Tragics

I finally could bring myself to watch the CS press conference today. I listened to McGregor for about 30 seconds and was watching Widdop sitting next to him and in that exact moment I understood that season 2017 is dead and buried.

Simply put the two biggest on field issues facing the club as of today are:

1. Paul McGregor

2. Gareth Widdop
Both of these poor fellow are woefully out of their depth. Indeed it is difficult to watch them at these press conferences. I wonder if they realise how embarrassing they are? Paul McGregor thought the performance was "good"?

We have some decent talent in our group and with the right coach we could do pretty well this year; but with this coach and on field clown directing us around we really have no hope.

If the problem is so obvious to a 53 year old sitting on the Sunshine Coast is it not lost on those board members sitting down for a Chinese feed each Thursday evening at the St George Leagues Club? Really?

So the problem therefore really resides with the Board of Directors. It is incumbent on them; indeed they have specific duties as directors under the Corporations Law to administer the club and its finances appropriately. If they cannot fulfill these duties then they should resign. I have worked in business for many years and I have held various directorships and I would be very proactive in ensuring our grant, sponsorship and membership funds were spent appropriately. This level of fiduciary diligence appears to be sadly lacking. Tell me what other corporation would have allowed a CEO to reside over the level of balance sheet deterioration as has been evident within our club? Make no mistake folks; this is a multi-million dollar business and it is being administered in a most staggering fashion.

Simply put no credible organisation would allow Doust, McGregor and Widdop to continue for another day.

Bewildered? Staggeringly so!

I was discussing this issue with a lawyer today I am asked him what avenues might be available to challenge the board of directors over this appalling deterioration. His advice was instructive. He noted problems due to the fact this is not a public board and this would be complicated by the license agreement with the NRL. He did however table actions that would enable members to put appropriate legal pressure on the board. Interesting isn’t it?

hewi

Bench
It would appear to me that these two are joined at the hip and neither one realises that the other is dragging them over a cliff. I actually think that with a good coach Widdop would be ok, he went ok in his first year with us , however now he is hopeless . He is the focal point of the attack and it just breaks down. Coach or him? Chicken or egg? I don't know, what I do think thou is that the time will come when they will both race for the door together to save their own skin , who will break first ? Who will get thru?

ALSGI

Bench
Fellow Tragics

I finally could bring myself to watch the CS press conference today. I listened to McGregor for about 30 seconds and was watching Widdop sitting next to him and in that exact moment I understood that season 2017 is dead and buried.

1. Paul McGregor

2. Gareth Widdop
Both of these poor fellow are woefully out of their depth. Indeed it is difficult to watch them at these press conferences. I wonder if they realise how embarrassing they are? Paul McGregor thought the performance was "good"?

We have some decent talent in our group and with the right coach we could do pretty well this year; but with this coach and on field clown directing us around we really have no hope.

If the problem is so obvious to a 53 year old sitting on the Sunshine Coast is it not lost on those board members sitting down for a Chinese feed each Thursday evening at the St George Leagues Club? Really?

So the problem therefore really resides with the Board of Directors. It is incumbent on them; indeed they have specific duties as directors under the Corporations Law to administer the club and its finances appropriately. If they cannot fulfill these duties then they should resign. I have worked in business for many years and I have held various directorships and I would be very proactive in ensuring our grant, sponsorship and membership funds were spent appropriately. This level of fiduciary diligence appears to be sadly lacking. Tell me what other corporation would have allowed a CEO to reside over the level of balance sheet deterioration as has been evident within our club? Make no mistake folks; this is a multi-million dollar business and it is being administered in a most staggering fashion.

Simply put no credible organisation would allow Doust, McGregor and Widdop to continue for another day.

I was discussing this issue with a lawyer today I am asked him what avenues might be available to challenge the board of directors over this appalling deterioration. His advice was instructive. He noted problems due to the fact this is not a public board and this would be complicated by the license agreement with the NRL. He did however table actions that would enable members to put appropriate legal pressure on the board. Interesting isn’t it?
Sounded ok mate until you mentioned the 'L word'. I'd almost have as much faith in Doust and McIdiot as a Lawyer.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
You've done well to sit through the presser. I switched off after McClueless said it was good. Watched the Souths presser instead. Even though Madge and Burgess looked too pleased with themselves I figure it was better than watching a clueless McGregor and a perennially disinterested Widdop.

Glenn01

Juniors
Fellow Tragics

1. Paul McGregor

2. Gareth Widdop

I knew and stated as much from about 5 games into Widdop's tenure as our main playmaker on big money for 4 years that we were in a crisis. He wasn't even "that bad" at the time. It's just his playmaking ability was non-existent.

But in this case I'm going to support him...... in a way. I know a guy doing a postdoc in a field of science I find very interesting but know very little about. He said "Our lab doesn't have a professor at present." I raised my hand and said "I'll do it." Obviously I'm not even remotely qualified but if that university was stupid enough to offer me a 4 year contract on big money to do that job without any kind of performance clauses, I would take it in an instant.

Price is to blame for signing him for 4 years on big money. McGregor is to blame for making him captain and not dropping him. Doust is to blame for not firing Price sooner than he did and ditto for McGregor. Though Widdop could voluntarily stand down as captain.

Last edited:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I knew and stated as much from about 5 games into Widdop's tenure as our main playmaker on big money for 4 years that we were in a crisis. He wasn't even "that bad" at the time. It's just his playmaking ability was non-existent.

But in this case I'm going to support him...... in a way. I know a guy doing a postdoc in a field of science I find very interesting but know very little about. He said "Our lab doesn't have a professor at present." I raised my hand and said "I'll do it." Obviously I'm not even remotely qualified but if that university was stupid enough to offer me a 4 year contract on big money to do that job without any kind of performance clauses, I would take it in an instant.

Price is to blame for signing him for 4 years on big money. McGregor is to blame for making him captain and not dropping him. Doust is to blame for not firing Price sooner than he did and ditto for McGregor. Though Widdop could voluntarily stand down as captain.

A poster on this forum named Vasilevsky first made me critically review Widdops performance. Another poster named Sigurd pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. But you've lost me here Glenn. I fail to see how an international player, any international player, cannot be responsible for his own game, his own game plan, and his own skill set including practicing those skills on his own if necessary.

He doesnt need the coach to sit with him while he practices goal kicking. He doesnt need to coach to practice bombs to the wing. He doesnt need the coach to help him practice 40-20's on the fly. He doesnt need the coach to practice grubber kicks either side of a player running towards him. He just needs to practice. If he needs guidance from MacGregor to improve his game, theyre both as bad as each other.

Carlton

Juniors
Fellow Tragics

1. Paul McGregor

2. Gareth Widdop

I think your questioning the issue of directors responsibilities and whether they are fulfilling their statutory duties is spot on. As I have said in other posts the purpose of the club in the constitution and reiterated in their annual report is to promote rugby league in the area. I suspect that there is an argument around RGRV, falling memberships, falling crowds, reduction of financial support for the football club and fan discontent to the extent is reducing support for rugby league in general, increase of other codes in the area etc.

If you have some specific arguments I would love to hear them.

Reactions: Qdf

dragons girl

Juniors
Interesting comparison was Bennett. After their loss in England, Bennett said the Broncos were woeful and that none of them would have been picked if that was round 1 except Josh Maguire.
Our coach makes excuses and calls the performance good. Therein lies the problem.
We all know a coach who makes tough calls is needed.As stated Bennett would not be impressed with th CS performance,and would not have minced words.Makes me wonder what game Mary was watching.Mary make the tough calls although its all too late

possm

Coach
Naming management staff and Board members in poor publicity articles would be the most effective way of influencing change within our Club. Allocating blame directly to these figures could cause a change in attitude. Right now these people think they can just see out the rage.

Glenn01

Juniors
A poster on this forum named Vasilevsky first made me critically review Widdops performance. Another poster named Sigurd pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. But you've lost me here Glenn. I fail to see how an international player, any international player, cannot be responsible for his own game, his own game plan, and his own skill set including practicing those skills on his own if necessary.

He doesnt need the coach to sit with him while he practices goal kicking. He doesnt need to coach to practice bombs to the wing. He doesnt need the coach to help him practice 40-20's on the fly. He doesnt need the coach to practice grubber kicks either side of a player running towards him. He just needs to practice. If he needs guidance from MacGregor to improve his game, theyre both as bad as each other.

You are missing my point. That is no offense. I often miss the basic point people are trying to make and my writing is so muddled, when I look back at it, I often can't quite understand it either.

Even if I were to train 14 hours a day, 7 days a week I will never be able to run 100m in under 11sec. Not even close. Widdop will never be a good playmaker even if he trains 14 hours a day 6 days a week, only excluding game day. If some organization were stupid enough to offer me 10 times my current salary to join their relay team and was stupid enough to keep me on the team even when I was the main reason they kept losing, that isn't my fault.

Though I can't quite understand his goal kicking either. He seems to strike the ball quite well but he very rarely kicks them from wide out and often misses them when closer to the posts than to the sideline.

Qdf

Juniors
Fellow Tragics

1. Paul McGregor

2. Gareth Widdop

Fellow Tragics

1. Paul McGregor

2. Gareth Widdop

RD, ... would very much like to know what legal actions your lawyer tabled. I think pressure, bought to bare on this incompetent board is definitely a step in the right direction.... Maybe if the boards feet are in the fire they may start to lean on DOUST. Even if it just made the management feel the pressure ,( they may decide to abandon the ship.) Let's at least try something to rid ourselves of this toxic management and their underhanded governance.Its set up all their favour, why don't we try to unsettle these parasites, that are slowly sucking the life out of our club.
Until we cut off the head(management), it won't make any difference who the coach is. Because once his contract expires, we're back with the same old boys club covering one anothers arses & treating it's fans with contempt..

Carlton

Juniors
Couldn't agree more. Its going to take an orchestrated strategy to achieve anything. Someone with the knowledge will need to map out the actions available to the members/fans.

Qdf

Juniors
Like once mentioned by a ledged of the game.... If the front office is not in order, the the footy team won't fire...

Carlton

Juniors
Like once mentioned by a ledged of the game.... If the front office is not in order, the the footy team won't fire...

We all agree that this is the real issue and this is the fundamental change the club desperately needs but the problem is how do we achieve it. At this stage there is no answer just a lot of passion from fans. What we don't have is a strategy to achieve a solution.

I would love someone to speak up and tell me exactly how the Board can be changed and don't say become a Leagues club member. By the time we can vote the club may well not exist.

Wauchope Dragon

Juniors
I thought Widdop was pretty good two years ago. He lifted us into the semis. I do find his kicking odd. I watched him warm up for a game last year with a winger. Every kick landed 10m out instead of 1-2m. Not sure why that appears to be the goal. Agreed he had a shocker last week. Thought we looked good going right last week through the half backs.

Hope we do well, but am nervous.

Glenn01

Juniors
I thought Widdop was pretty good two years ago. He lifted us into the semis. I do find his kicking odd. I watched him warm up for a game last year with a winger. Every kick landed 10m out instead of 1-2m. Not sure why that appears to be the goal. Agreed he had a shocker last week. Thought we looked good going right last week through the half backs.

Hope we do well, but am nervous.
He lifted us to the semis...... No, he didn't. With a decent 5/8, the way the rest of the team was playing, we had a real chance to go deep into the finals.

Latest posts