What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
This is what Enforcer is referring to:

16730660_1304916272888200_18050177020757765_n.jpg

Important to note the Raiders were playing a horrendous squad in a trial match.

Knight76

Juniors
Their first half squad certainly wasn't horrendous and 30 points got put on them for zero scored.

Say what you like but it was a pitiful effort from the Raiders. Not what Ricky would have been looking for leading in to round one.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Back 5 missing but their halves and forward got owned by a bunch of minnows. Sticky conspicuous by his absence to be fair.

Prob lost the battle to win the war eh?

davi

Juniors
Trials mean sfa, this thread is dangerous territory if Sticky finishes in the top 4

Yep I agree. In trial games (coaches trial combinations, sit players out with niggling injuries, play players who are not high up in the pecking order to play first grade yet).

I don't think anyone on this thread suggesting the Raiders are going to do a George Piggins and sack a coach based on trial game results (ala Craig Coleman). But considering the Knights came last by a mile for Ricky Stuart it has to be a concern losing 44-0.

I will say though the league is a different compared to 20-30 years ago. Due to a salary cap teams can get out of a losing funk quicker these days because of the higher player movement in my opinion.

Spade

Juniors
They struggled against the Knights last season in the regular season and they come 3rd, bogey team haha.

carcharias

Immortal
Their first half squad certainly wasn't horrendous and 30 points got put on them for zero scored.

Say what you like but it was a pitiful effort from the Raiders. Not what Ricky would have been looking for leading in to round one.
Ennis would applaud this.

Buckle up raiders fans.
Ricky is about to unleash 2nd year syndrome hell on you.
It won't be long before he starts abusing you guys.

mozza91

Coach
Austin, Sezer, Hodgson, Papalli, Whitehead, Paulo and Boyd are horrendous?
IBM I'm assuming you've never heard of the f**kers?

beejay001

Juniors
Scoreline really jumps out.
I watched the game, and props to the Knights their defence really stood up. They played with alot of aggression in defence, there was a stark difference in the attitude they took into the game compared to the Raiders. Knights line speed was quite good all game.
We started with the FG team (missing 5) and they all came off between 15-20min. The only FGer to play past 20min was Jnr paulo.
We dominated the first 10 min creating plenty of chances and repeat sets, but just couldn't score. Knights worked hard in D.
In that first period when we have the FG players on, they scored 2 tries from a Dummy half barge over and a nice set play.
Barnett was a star, very aggressive in defence. Matautia, Gagai were quite good as well. I got on them at the line (-16) in their first game against the Warriors. I think they will be much better this year and might be some value jumping on them to start the year.

beejay001

Juniors
Wouldnt' be surprised if we start the year slow. That was our only trial and those that played only got 20mins...

Thats a different strategy to what all other teams have done so far..

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Thanks for the report Beejay but it doesn’t really fit the narrative for this thread. For all intensive purposes, Stuart was solely focussed on this trial match for months and fielded our full strength outfit for the entire 80 minutes. It was a must-win game.

……and the Sharks didn’t just lose to an ESL side.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Sharks were too busying holidaying in Paris to care.

Raiders are title favourites, yet have started to choke early.

betcats

Referee
Thanks for the report Beejay but it doesn’t really fit the narrative for this thread. For all intensive purposes, Stuart was solely focussed on this trial match for months and fielded our full strength outfit for the entire 80 minutes. It was a must-win game.

……and the Sharks didn’t just lose to an ESL side.

It is only a trial but 44-0 stinks, like really f**king stinks. The knights full strength side is made up of kids and reserve graders mostly anyway.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It is only a trial but 44-0 stinks, like really f**king stinks. The knights full strength side is made up of kids and reserve graders mostly anyway.
No doubt. But I think that highlighted our serious lack of depth more than anything.

Stuart hasn’t put much stock in trials since he’s been down here. Pretty sure we got roasted by the Knights last year or the year before too. Seems he would rather risk a slow start than injuries.