What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Spot On

Coach
He did. It’s his responsibility but he almost always goes missing right when the game is there to be won.

Sezer is a joke. He had time and space when he received the ball and should have taken a shot, or handed it to a forward to set it up for the next tackle.

Havili knew what had to be done, he just executed poorly. Sezer had no idea and no awareness.

Same story in another game we lost, maybe Sharks? Sezer gets the ball in front with us needing a field goal and instead of taking it, he puts it through the hands.

His game goes to absolute shit in the final quarter and is a huge part of why we always lose - just cannot close out a game.

So we’ve offered him another 2 years. What a f**king joke.

That's more like it.

For the amount of games the Raiders have lost in the last 5 minutes in the last 2 or 3 years, I'd reckon any coaches temper would be tested.

Re his reactions - I don't think Bellamy is any different, he just does it in the box. And everyone always laughs..

Favourite coach blow-ups.. there's a thread idea..(if its not already in here somewhere..)

Ricky came to the Raiders when they were in the Abyss, no one wanted to go there etc. Their last few seasons must be frustrating for the fans.. Is he over-rated? I dont think so.. They should have a crack at Maloney next...(surely he's got another few clubs left in him yet). If they got a player like him I reckon a lot of their issues would go away.

Amazing what a good halfback can do to turn around a teams fortunes.. game control..

Sphagnum

Coach
For the amount of games the Raiders have lost in the last 5 minutes in the last 2 or 3 years, I'd reckon any coaches temper would be tested.

Re his reactions - I don't think Bellamy is any different, he just does it in the box. And everyone always laughs..

Favourite coach blow-ups.. there's a thread idea..(if its not already in here somewhere..)

Ricky came to the Raiders when they were in the Abyss, no one wanted to go there etc. Their last few seasons must be frustrating for the fans.. Is he over-rated? I dont think so.. They should have a crack at Maloney next...(surely he's got another few clubs left in him yet). If they got a player like him I reckon a lot of their issues would go away.

Amazing what a good halfback can do to turn around a teams fortunes.. game control..
Nah, hes just f**ken shit, bruh

Card Shark

Immortal
Just watched the extended (13 1/2 min) highlights & they showed 6 basic / critical dropped balls by the Raiders & just 1 by the Panthers.

Can’t see how Ricky could blame the refs although in his press conference he was blaming higher forces.

Maybe he should blame higher forces than his players....

Card Shark

Immortal
Also, the 2nd last try the Panthers scored, the Raiders probably should’ve had that covered but Austin was too focused on putting a big shot on Cleary, that was semi- late.

If he had held back, he could’ve slid to the right & helped his 2 mates hold them out.

I just thought in that situation it was not needed. His whole focus should’ve been on stopping a try, not trying to hurt Cleary.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Ricky can blame whoever he likes but against the Titans, Knights, Warriors, and Panthers, the Raiders have thrown away games they were in a position to win and probably should have won.

It's not coincidence, it's not random luck, it's not all down to refs, and it's Ricky's job to fix it.

Spade

Juniors
interesting stat that if games were 60 minutes long Raiders would be coming 1st.

Its just the way Ricky coaches his sides will have alot of close games and most the time they lose, I can think of 2 years it went the other way, Sharks when he coached them to 3rd, won like 10 games 1-8, following year those games went the other way he missed the 8 and when he coached Raiders to 2nd couple years ago won all the close ones but since has lost them all and missed the 8 since.

Leber

Bench
This has probably already been stated, but he can't be 'over'rated when he isn't rated at all.

Leber

Bench
Also, Andrew Mcfadden is moving back to canberra next year.

Not sure if he will be affiliated with the Raiders or not.

Card Shark

Immortal
If I were Ricky's boss I'd be telling the merkin to get in the coaches box and do his f**king job like every other coach does - observing the game from a vantage point, seeing the structure and plays of his side as well as the opposition and sending messages to adjust accordingly.

Good point.

When I go to the footy, I like to sit close to the game for the atmosphere.

At the Knights / Sharks game a few weeks back, sat high up in the stands & it’s a lot easier to see what’s unfolding.

Generalzod

Immortal
Just look at the Rooster team he inherited from Graham Murray a team full of stars, But do you honestly think that Ricky was the only person coaching the Roosters at the time, Phil Gould was controlling a lot of what was happening behind the scenes.

Generalzod

Immortal
I'm retired now, but if I had done this in full view of my employer's customers, I'd have been facing disciplinary action and likely dismissal. It is my view that letting such a senior figure in the club get away with such undisciplined behaviour is at the heart of the problems the Raiders currently have.
That’s a great point who got suspended for just throwing a plastic bottle?

davi

Juniors
It has gone largely unnoticed but Josh Hodgson returns for Canberra tomorrow. He was amazing for the Raiders in 2016. I say this to lose your best player injured in a rep game for a six months hurts your club for sure. Putting that aside the talent the Raiders have on the roster they should be further up on the ladder and Stuart has to take some accountability for that.

Latest posts