What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ISP

Just a bit of an individual player wrap (on our most notable players) for those who missed the game:

Herbert: Quality player. Has just come along in leaps and bounds since moving back to fullback. It's good to know that if Dufty needs an arse kicking, Herbert is in line to replace him. Plenty of pace, great passing game and seems pretty safe under the high ball. Tackle busting machine too. Not sure about his defence, haven't seen a lot of it, but he definitely has a bigger body than Duff.
Lomax: Get him in. Now. He is just absolutely everywhere. Always puts his hand up for hit-ups around the middle, has good pace on him... But it's the footwork and ball-skills that set him apart from the rest. Whoever plays right wing outside him when he hits first grade is going to score A LOT of tries. He's got a killer right handed flick pass. Even though he had a bad day with the boot yesterday (windy day), you could tell he has a good goal-kicking technique. I think his greatest asset is his ability under the high ball. He just gets so high in the air, kinda like an AFL player. He should be a shoe-in for 2019.
Marsters: Good young player, but that's the thing... Very young. I see him as a future centre, I just don't think he has enough pace to be that damaging winger/fullback we thought he might be. He's strong, quite good in the air and can finish off a try.
Garrick: Forget about him, he is not up to first grade standard. Not quick enough, poor defence and doesn't offer a lot in attack.
Field: He has surprised me the last few weeks. It's getting to the stage where I may have to start eating my words if he keeps performing like this. He hit the line well before passing and was playing very direct. He looked sliiiiiiiick. Very dangerous every time he touched the ball. He's definitely a 'make-something-out-of-nothing' player. If he works on his kicking game and cuts out the brain explosions and poor last play options then he could be a permanent utility for us. Just can't see him breaking into the starting 13 over Widdop/Hunt/Dufty and potential back-ups like Mann/Herbert.
Robson: Apart from Lomax, this kid is probably our brightest prospect. He fair dinkum looks more dangerous than McInnes right now and would cause havoc off the bench. So quick out of dummy half, has Cook-like vision for a gap and just hits it with pace. Good passing game and is nuggety in defence. Can see him playing a lot of first grade for us in the future.
Lawrie: Strikes me as a Nathan Brown style player, but not as strong. He hits the line very hard, but that's about it. He needs to work on his muscle-mass I think, start strengthening up and developing an offload in his game. He had a good game against Mounties, you can always rely on him for those strong runs up the middle.
Kerr: Has just totally faded into obscurity, and for good reason. The people who were calling for him to get a shot need a f**king wake up call. He's big, but that's it really. Not a lot of stamina, doesn't seem to have ball-skills and just sort of trundles to the line and hits the grass. Not what you want from somebody of his size. But the red line through him.
Ford: Young, but has potential. He has a problem though and that's his current size/weight. He just seems a bit small to make an impact as a back-rower. 187cm and 95kg just won't cut it in the NRL at the moment. If you're going to be under 100kg as a back-rower then you need to have that point of difference, for example that extra turn of speed or ball-skills. At the moment he's lacking that, just seems to be a line-running forward. Although to his credit, against Mounties he was definitely looking like he's been working on his physique.
Lovodua: Love his enthusiasm. Just seems to want to get his hands on the ball as much as possible. He's strong as well, I like the way he carries the ball up. However, I think he's going to have the same problem Mann has. I have no f**king idea what his best position is. He came through the ranks as a 5/8, but I think he's a little too big for that now and to be quite honest, he doesn't strike me as a 5/8 at all. Is he a forward? A centre? A ball-playing lock? I've seen him play hooker before too.
He'll be a good utility for us I think.

And also just on a side note. Darren Nichols controlled the game very well. He's a good player, even though he had a shocker in first grade.
So in regards to Kerr, he’s Latimore, but younger.

getsmarty

Immortal
dragonsdogsfinal.png

INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP

ISP PREVIEW | Dragons v Bulldogs
Author
Ryan Selvage NSWRL.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 13 Sep 2018, 05:12 PM

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs will have to reverse the trend of their 2018 season if they are to beat St George-Illawarra Dragons in the sides' Preliminary Finals clash, when the pair meets at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, 16 September.

Venue: Leichhardt Oval

Buy Tickets
Despite having won seven of their past nine matches heading into the Dragons showdown, the Bulldogs have found tough work in the form of their fellow 'top four' counterparts throughout the 2018 season.

From seven matches played against the Dragons, Penrith Panthers and Newtown Jets this season, the Bulldogs have not won a match – their record reading zero wins, seven losses.

It's a damning statistic for the 'Dogs, and one that must change quickly, if their hopes of a break-through premiership are to come to fruition.

The 2018 Preliminary Finals appearance is the Bulldogs' third time into the competition's penultimate week in the past four seasons. But it has been a case of so near, yet so far for the club – unable to make a Grand Final since they last took out the competition in 2011.

Set to again be bolstered by the inclusion of their NRL contingent in Rhyse Martin, Matt Frawley and Greg Eastwood this weekend, the Bulldogs side to run out onto Leichhardt Oval will be one far stronger than the one sighted across much of the regular season.

Bulldogs Pip Roos to Progress to Week Three

In other team news, fellow Bulldogs ISP-turn-NRL-regulars Reimis Smith and Lachlan Lewis are also eligible to play in Sunday's Preliminary Final, though the pair were not named by Steve Georgallis on Tuesday.

Despite a Finals Week One loss to the Panthers, the Bulldogs steadied in their title tilt with a win over the Wyong Roos last Sunday – but they will have to improve again, to knock over the in-form Dragons.

2018_isp-to_gf.jpg

Triumphant in their past four outings, St George-Illawarra will be minus ISP-regulars Hame Sele and Zac Lomax for the Bulldogs clash, with the pair set to feature in the club's NRL Semi-Final against South Sydney on Saturday.

The Dragons and Bulldogs have met twice already in 2018, with only the barest of margins to separate the sides on both occasions.

In Round 10, the trusted boot of Darren Nicholls kicked the Dragons one point clear of the Bulldogs to seal a dramatic come-from-behind victory for Mat Head's men.

Field, Nicholls Engineer Dragons Fightback

And so, would it again when the Dragons and Bulldogs met later in the season. Trailing 14-8 to the Bulldogs in Round 21, Nicholls converted Reuben Garrick's try before potting a field-goal with under 10 minutes to play, edging the Dragons to the final 15-14 scoreline.

And while there stands enough reason for the Bulldogs to rally in the hope of 'getting one back' over the Red V, don't count out the Dragons using recent history as a source of motivation in quest for a premiership in 2018.

Nicholls the Hero as Dragons Down Dogs

Looking to be the first team to win back-to-back Intrust Super Premiership (nee-NSW Cup) titles since, ironically the Bulldogs of 2010-11, Illawarra RLFC's (now Dragons') 2017 season was cut short by Canterbury-Bankstown in the sides' Semi-Final clash at Jubilee Oval.

HIGHLIGHTS | Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Illawarra RLFC

Tune in to FOX League's coverage as St George-Illawarra square-off with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs for a place in the 2018 Intrust Super Premiership NSW Grand Final. Kick-off from 5pm, AEDT. Check local guides.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/14/isp-preview--dragons-v-bulldogs/

Latest posts