What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary Confirmed As New Panthers Coach

franklin2323

Immortal
Warriors fans I understand your frustration. IF as stated Cleary had agreed to come in 2013? Would it be better to stay next your or come ASAP?

franklin2323

Immortal
Cheers for that guys.

Do you think there'd be any creedence to the thought that Cleary might be toning down the Warriors style of play (which has traditionally been very flamboyant and off the cuff) in an attempt to make them more consistent/professional (ala Dragons/Melbourne).

Sounds like mostly positive thoughts for us, especially given we have Gould on board. Just 2/3 quality signings short of a really competitive team.

Teams always copy the successful teams. I am waiting for an attacking team to win the comp and then wait the influx of expansive footy

devoid

Juniors
Do you think there'd be any creedence to the thought that Cleary might be toning down the Warriors style of play (which has traditionally been very flamboyant and off the cuff) in an attempt to make them more consistent/professional (ala Dragons/Melbourne).

Yes, definitely. But again as KTF said, it is a double edged sword. He put us in the position to win the premiership, by making the 8 - but once we made the 8, we didn't have the dynamics to beat opponents, and to win 4 weeks straight by playing structure against other tough sides (usually in form) was never likely to happen.

devoid

Juniors
Thanks Iafeta and devoid, both good posts about your opinions on Cleary, I think if we can find a decent 6 to partner Walshy and a backrower or two that CLeary could do very well at Penrith.

Can't disagree with that.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It is funny, I do not rate Ivan, and my observations of what he did at warriors, is not much.

That said, at Penrith with Gould advising, this may be a good fit.

devoid

Juniors
Warriors fans I understand your frustration. IF as stated Cleary had agreed to come in 2013? Would it be better to stay next your or come ASAP?

IMO, asap - as in right now. The second he entertained being coach of the Panthers in 2013 was (again, IMO) the moment he stopped being our coach. He should be with your mob now, and let us get on with it, regardless of how 2011 plays out. He has taken our focus off the end result, and by sticking around it doesn't help us as a club, nor Ivan as a coach.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

Have a coach for 18 months knowing he was definitely leaving regardless of results? No way, wouldn't want that. Happy it's all sorted, felt he had reached his limits at the Warriors a good couple of seasons ago.

That's not to say he can't improve, especially with Gould nearby, but I feel at the Warriors he'd gone as far as he could go. If he wins a premiership for you guys then that's great for him, but I don't think he would've done it with us regardless.

Don't have any ill feelings at all and hope he does very well for the Panthers except of course for when they play the Warriors.

Rich102

Staff member
Good luck Panthers.
Have you heard Cleary speak? It takes him 3 minutes to say three words - and then you don't know what he was talking about. Most of the time his teams are asleep when they get onto the field.
As for a game plan? Don't hold your breath.
Glad you have him and not us.
Wait till Bluey joins us :D

franklin2323

Immortal
IMO, asap - as in right now. The second he entertained being coach of the Panthers in 2013 was (again, IMO) the moment he stopped being our coach. He should be with your mob now, and let us get on with it, regardless of how 2011 plays out. He has taken our focus off the end result, and by sticking around it doesn't help us as a club, nor Ivan as a coach.

That's the thing. I can understand your management releasing him early IF he did agree for 2013. However I would of thought ASAP was the better thing even if he couldn't coach us until next year. As with us you guys are on the cusp of the 8 and now have players up in the air etc. Very strange

Black Majik

Juniors

May still happen...Elliot case in point!

We could have given you Elliot as a swap, but I actually don't mind the Warriors.......

murraymob

Coach
there will be a lot of people paying close attention to how cleary goes and more importantly the style of play he uses from both the warriors and panther supporters.As i want to see him use a open style of footy and not elliotts 1 pass run get to the last and hope type of footy
Georgalis deserved his shot