What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ja reckon the Refs like the game?

maccattack

Juniors
I've often wondered why ex players dont become referees. To my mind you play the game because you love it right?

But I guess that's a different story.

Just watching the Panthers / Tigers game where there was (almost ) a bit of stink and the ref calmed it very authoritivly.

I imagined he did it coz he is concerned about the games image .

Whether thats the case ir not my next thought was to wonder what motivates a person to become a rugby league referee. Tough call if you ask me. Trying to herd a bunch of knuckle heads high on adrenalin cant be fun.
So what motivates someone to become a ref?

Ps more ex players as refs

Pps get women behind the whistle!

some11

Referee
tumblr_ml26saFV2i1qfrkf9o9_250.gif

Chook Norris

First Grade
Sort of same as what motivates a person to become a police officer i imagine. Someone who likes rules, order and control around that. I don't know how many of them were or have ever been police officers but i imagine a few have been.

But I also do agree with you. Most would also have to love the game and be concerned around it's image

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I will do a referees course before too long, as it is the best way for me too put back into the game. Though I've put it off for a few years so need to get cracking.

It also fits with my work background which involves dealing with young, boisterous and competing personalities.

Lesstar would have more to add, he is a ref in the VRL I am pretty sure.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Its true they are the type that enjoy having authority (would likely have been bully types at school).
But that aside I like the refs, they do a good job in tough circumstances. Its not the fault of the referees but rather the rules of the game and the way the coaches coach that give them so much power and influence in the game.
We need to get the game to a point where the line breaks (or other positive player play) stats are equal to or greater than the penalty count. I think presently there is about 2 penalties for every line break in the game. Thats wrong given that half the time the refs are guessing.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
They'll tell you I'm insane
'Cause you know I love the players
And you love the game

myrrh ken

First Grade
Theres a few already: patten, phillips and mellor. Patten cops shit for his dumb decisions and accusations of bias.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sado masichists. Love being master of the big men and enjoy a good whipping by the media.

TheDalek079

Bench
they like the game, but are too shit to play it. they get coerced into reffing by somebody at their local club, move up the ranks and then they're at NRL level making monumental clusterf**k decisions

Card Shark

Immortal
They probably start in U6, like the kids.

As they get better, they ref the older kids, then adults...then grade, then NRL.

Suppose it's a natural progression for the better ones. Once they hit first grade, under the spotlight, they turn to shit as they lose the feel for the game they've probably built up over 10 years.

Many ex-players do not become referees as they don't want the physical grind that goes with it. The full time NRL Referees squad train as often as the players do, and but whilst the players do weights, ball work and cardio sessions, the referees training is mostly cardio work and it is not easy. They proverbially whip you physically. A referee runs more metres per game than any player does as they are expected to be up with the play at all times. Hence very few ex-players want that level of grind.

As to why, it is highly personal. I went into it as I loved league but I was too old by the time I wanted to go into it to become a player, I was 23 at the time so I took up refereeing. I started doing Under 7s - Under 9s (we didn't have Under 6's when I started) but it was not long before I'd moved to doing U/10s thru to U/16s. In my junior league (Parramatta) you would often do 3-4 games on Saturdays (which is when the U/7s-U/15s would play) as a referee (you have volunteers as touch judges for those games as there are not enough referees to also provide touch judges due to the sheer number of game) and on Sunday you would referee 1 game and then be a touch judge in another 2-3 games (as this is when the U/16s to A Grade games would be played).

Some people become referees as they want to put something back in. Some because they played the game at junior level but weren't quite good enough. Others because a parent or sibiling did. Yes some because they are predisposed to being authority figures.

One thing all referees are aware of is that from when the player enters the "playing area", they are under his/her control. Enforcing the rules and getting the teams to play football(as opposed to say brawling/sledging each other) is part of their job. Hence if they do not do so, they will be marked poorly by their appointments board which will effect the game they get the following week and ultimately whether they are classified as "good enough" to referee during their competition's final series.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
you beat me to it, the ref most of the time is the fittest bloke on the field so after umpteen years of training, x amount of off season surgeries etc they would be quite happy to get up during the pre-season and not feel like their hamstring has a bullet in it.

Brett Suttor just wanted his mug on tv, only one that actually looked like he was aroused when a decision/event happened that was controversial and meant he would be mentioned in the post match report

T-Boon

Coach
The referees are pretty good - they aren't going to get any better.
The thing to do is change the rules a bit to reduce the impact of referees.
Like for instance: the recipient of a penalty should not get to kick for touch - this is just a gift of territory (usually about 30 metres) and makes these arbitrary often erroneous decisions of the referees more influential on the game than actual plays made by players. I would prefer that on a penalty the tackle count restarts and on the first tackle play an advantage so if there is an error the penalty recipient still gets the scrum feed.
Additionally increase the ways in which the players can make momentum swinging plays for example fully legitimise stripping in a one man tackle so that there are no knock-on calls or tackle count restarts in attempting the strip (these risks are what stop players attempting to make a strip). Also attempted charge downs or intercepts (even when a knocked on) should not restart the tackle count if the dispossessed team comes back up with the ball.

cleary89

Coach
I did it when i was 16 because it was an easy job doing something that was fun and kept me active. Have thought about going back but am coaching atm.

I've had a fair bit to do with Hollywood Bill as I coached his son.
He is a special kind of personality. Totally and fully attracted to the rush of authority. A former copper, now runs referees, cant help but thrust himself into the centre all the times.

He is a nice bloke, will do anything to help and was extraordinarily supportive of the young referees in our district but certainly not like anyone else I have ever met.

I also encouraged all my players to get their referees tickets once they were old enough. Piss easy money and a great way to learn more about the game and give back.