What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Topine sues Bulldogs

betcats

Referee
If they forced him to run laps or beep test till exhaustion with his teammates watching would that precipitate a mental health break down and be grounds for him to make accusations(legally speaking) tgat have been put forward?

Being pushed to exhaustion is something nrl players should be used to and need to be able to handle, in preseason I’m sure every nrl player to get pushed to exhaustion and has to keep going beyond that it can’t be the first topine has been exhausted so is it the fact that it was punishment that has made this so bad for him? Or is because it was it because it was wrestling to exhaustion with his teammates that has made it so bad? Or was it what was said by the trainer during the exercise that has was torturous?

Wrestling has been a popular sport for a long time, it still is. Find a mid level or above jiu jitsu class and you’ll see people who love to wrestle to exhaustion, they pay to do it. So an extra 5-30minutes of wrestling(depending on who you believe) doesn’t sound like torture for an elite athlete.

The shame and embarrassment of being punished sucks, we’ve all felt it. But that is kindve the point right? Consequences of not following the rules.

People talking about standards of society changing and mental health and bullying, do you want topine at your club being paid 400k?

MugaB

Coach
If they forced him to run laps or beep test till exhaustion with his teammates watching would that precipitate a mental health break down and be grounds for him to make accusations(legally speaking) tgat have been put forward?

Being pushed to exhaustion is something nrl players should be used to and need to be able to handle, in preseason I’m sure every nrl player to get pushed to exhaustion and has to keep going beyond that it can’t be the first topine has been exhausted so is it the fact that it was punishment that has made this so bad for him? Or is because it was it because it was wrestling to exhaustion with his teammates that has made it so bad? Or was it what was said by the trainer during the exercise that has was torturous?

Wrestling has been a popular sport for a long time, it still is. Find a mid level or above jiu jitsu class and you’ll see people who love to wrestle to exhaustion, they pay to do it. So an extra 5-30minutes of wrestling(depending on who you believe) doesn’t sound like torture for an elite athlete.

The shame and embarrassment of being punished sucks, we’ve all felt it. But that is kindve the point right? Consequences of not following the rules.

People talking about standards of society changing and mental health and bullying, do you want topine at your club being paid 400k?
Apparently he would be at 400k next year, for the next ten years, minus legal fees

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If you look at the incident, based on what we know, you can see why this lad is feeling mentally fragile. And this isn't about being a snowflake or a boomer or whatever.
1. He didn't believe he was late, had made an honest mistake. Then he's singled out for punishment.
2. The punishment is to wrestle all his friends - to be humiliated by and in front of his peer group.

This incident didn't ruin his career but it did expose that this career isn't for him. The big loss for him is the loss of the NRL lifestyle, hanging with the boys, gaming with the boys, getting food and flights and accommodation laid out for you, girls laid out for you.

Vlad59

Juniors
If you look at the incident, based on what we know, you can see why this lad is feeling mentally fragile. And this isn't about being a snowflake or a boomer or whatever.
1. He didn't believe he was late, had made an honest mistake. Then he's singled out for punishment.
2. The punishment is to wrestle all his friends - to be humiliated by and in front of his peer group.

This incident didn't ruin his career but it did expose that this career isn't for him. The big loss for him is the loss of the NRL lifestyle, hanging with the boys, gaming with the boys, getting food and flights and accommodation laid out for you, girls laid out for you.
. Whatever happens out of this you’ve got to hope he finds a good path to follow.

Reflector

Juniors

There's a club in regional NSW who'd probably take him...

Bazal

Post Whore

I'd the purpose of an action in the workplace is to induce shame and embarrassment then it is literally the legal definition of bullying, me lad. And there's a very big difference between a bit of private shame that you screwed up, and public humiliation in front of your colleagues.

People seriously need to realise that the world has moved on from punishment like this.

Irrelevant. Most people are going to say he's an ordinary player, nothing to with mental health.

Vlad59

Juniors
I'd the purpose of an action in the workplace is to induce shame and embarrassment then it is literally the legal definition of bullying, me lad. And there's a very big difference between a bit of private shame that you screwed up, and public humiliation in front of your colleagues.

People seriously need to realise that the world has moved on from punishment like this.

Irrelevant. Most people are going to say he's an ordinary player, nothing to with mental health.
Can we cite you now as the leading authority on what happened in this matter? I think it’s disputed but you seem to have made up your mind and exude an ‘I know better than you’ ambience. Go you!

betcats

Referee

Imagine You’ve got two players, equal age, size, talent. One of them get the punishment given to topine and while he doesn’t like it he gets up and thinks “well I won’t be late again”

The other one gets the same punishment and breakdowns and ends up suing the club.

Which one do you want your club paying?

As for the world moving on from this type of punishment, he had to a bit more wrestling, something they train for every week and is a key skill in the workplace he’s in. He wasn’t taken to the front of class and hit with a cane.

Chimp

Bench
A perfectly legitimate way to tackle and the sport is poorer for the loss of it
Agree!!!! My theory is also that banning the shoulder charge has had an adverse impact on concussions, and has actually increased the number of concussions, by moving the risk from the attacker (where risk was generally limited to illegal high contact and infrequently whiplash related concussion), to the defender. Defenders now can’t be side on and braced for contact, so their head/face is smack bang in middle of contact zone, whether they go low or high. Attackers can run kamikaze and upright without fear of being smashed, as they have all momentum and know a legal tackle is highly unlikely to have enough force to snap them backwards. Without that fear, they can run bolt upright, square on and straight at a defender, rather than having to adjust and ready themselves for contact, as they need to consider what the defender might do to them. No need for the attacker to protect themselves, no late footwork needed, minimal risk to themselves, they’ve got the position of power as the attacker.

Defenders being knocked out from kick off runs would be minimised if they could brace side on for impact and meet force with force. The Tedesco example from a few weeks ago where he tried to legitimately smash Kikau into touch, would have been avoided if he could shoulder charge - a shoulder charge in that instance is the safest way for him to tackle Kikau, and in reality, the only way he could have prevented the try.

Every action as a re-action. The significant increase in defensive concussions are an unexpected consequence of banning the shoulder charge.

dogslife

Coach
Imagine You’ve got two players, equal age, size, talent. One of them get the punishment given to topine and while he doesn’t like it he gets up and thinks “well I won’t be late again”

The other one gets the same punishment and breakdowns and ends up suing the club.

Which one do you want your club paying?

As for the world moving on from this type of punishment, he had to a bit more wrestling, something they train for every week and is a key skill in the workplace he’s in. He wasn’t taken to the front of class and hit with a cane.
I'd love to get to a point where we stop pretending that extra wrestling at the end of a wrestling session is like being waterboarded at Guantanamo

Bazal

Post Whore
Can we cite you now as the leading authority on what happened in this matter? I think it’s disputed but you seem to have made up your mind and exude an ‘I know better than you’ ambience. Go you!

Sure. If you can first explain how a general reply to a general comment is specifically aimed at determining what happened in this case?

You seem more sure than anyone else, championship. All I've said here is that if any punishment is aimed at humiliation then it's actually the definition of bullying. That seems to upset you?

Or maybe you could try and play the ball and not the man? I’d suggest it’s you (and not Maximus or Bazal) who is on your high horse.

simmo05

Bench

People seem the think that because it is an nrl club, it is exempt from Australian workplace laws.

Maximus

Coach
Sure. If you can first explain how a general reply to a general comment is specifically aimed at determining what happened in this case?

You seem more sure than anyone else, championship. All I've said here is that if any punishment is aimed at humiliation then it's actually the definition of bullying. That seems to upset you?

Are you a scratch golfer? If not, you're not allowed an opinion.

Penrith fan

Juniors

Actually the world is moving back to discipline. At least that is what they are trying to get back to in the schools these days.

Kids to be taught old-school discipline in behaviour crackdown​

Aussie students will be taught old-school discipline, including how to line up and keep quiet, in a bid to tackle the classroom behaviour crisis that sees teachers routinely abused and children disrupted.

They found out that letting people play the victim all the time doesn't work.

kurt faulk

Coach
Actually the world is moving back to discipline. At least that is what they are trying to get back to in the schools these days.

Aussie students will be taught old-school discipline, including how to line up and keep quiet, in a bid to tackle the classroom behaviour crisis that sees teachers routinely abused and children disrupted.

The kids nowadays are like the little hookers and half-backs in league these days. Very chirpy when they know that there are no repercussions. In the 70s and 80s if they started any niggle they got their bell rung forcefully. That kept them in line. Can you imagine what would have happened to mahoney back then.

Bazal

Post Whore

I'm sure you're aware that discipline and punishment are actually different words? The Penrith education system isn't that poor surely

Penrith fan

Juniors
I'm sure you're aware that discipline and punishment are actually different words? The Penrith education system isn't that poor surely
There will also be more punishments handed out once the discipline is implemented, if you want to get that pedantic. That is the way these things go.

Latest posts