What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Roberts

myrrh ken

First Grade
different state laws.

Anyway, looks like the lady is talking to NRL investigators which is good.

Broncos will sack James Roberts if it is proven he manhandled a woman in Gold Coast nightclub
January 17, 2017 8:12pm
GREG STOLZ and ROBERT CRADDOCK

JAMES Roberts will be sacked by the Broncos and his NRL career could be over if it is proven he manhandled a woman in a Gold Coast nightclub.

A woman, who alleged she was mistreated by strife-prone Roberts, met with NRL Integrity Unit representative Karyn Murphy on Tuesday night.

Murphy is a former Australian rugby league captain and highly decorated police officer who once took on the Gold Coast bikies.

ROBERTS TALE ALL TOO FAMILIAR

The 23-year-old woman making the complaint, who works in a Gold Coast law firm, told The Courier-Mail Roberts grabbed her from behind at Broadbeach club Love Nightlife early on Sunday morning and pulled her hair so forcefully she was left with a sore neck.

She says bouncers then ejected the Broncos star, who was on the Gold Coast for the Magic Millions.

It is understood the Broncos will sack Roberts if the accusation against him is deemed to be correct. He has already been sacked by South Sydney and Penrith for off-field issues and was fined $20,000 by the Broncos last season after being kicked out of Brisbane’s Normanby Hotel for allegedly abusing a female staffer.

And the NRL, enduring yet another off-season of scandal, refused to rule out deregistering Roberts if he is found to have infringed again.

Roberts checked into a Thai rehab facility at the end of last season to overcome alcohol problems and was told he was on his last chance with the club.

While having some sympathy for Roberts’ challenging upbringing the club feels it has standards to uphold and is deeply embarrassed at having one of its players embroiled in a scandal over the manhandling of a woman. .

Roberts trained with the Broncos on Tuesday as club CEO Paul White said he had referred the allegations to the Integrity Unit to investigate.

“Late [Tuesday] I was made aware of an allegation involving a player via a media organisation,” Mr White said in a statement.

“At that time, the club had not received any information or complaint from any external person, licensed premises or investigative authority directly involved in this matter. The club still has not.

“However, I immediately notified the NRL Integrity Unit and they have subsequently commenced their inquiries.

“The club supports these inquiries being conducted independently and expediently, will offer any assistance and support required and will only make further comment once the process has been completed.”

Love Nightlife owner Tony Rigas declined to discuss the alleged incident but said he would be willing to assist the investigation.

“Of course … (although) we haven’t been contacted by anyone involved with the investigation yet,’’ he said. “The proper authorities are all over it.”

Spot On

Coach
Interesting. Roberts has said he doesn't recall doing any such thing.

So, what evidence are they going to use to help make their decision on his career.

Is there any reason the police haven't informed the NRL of the CCTV footage and whether or not this actually occurred?

Ray McKigney

Juniors
Regarding Roberts behavior, this all stems from his time at the Titans. After being sacked by Souths and Penrith you'd think they would of given him the help he needed. But no, the Titans allowed to this behavior to fester and then pass it off to the Broncos. What you're seeing now, these scandals are all because of the Titans lack of player care coming to bear fruit. The Broncos are actually trying to help the poor kid as well as guidance and wisdom of master coach Bennett. Hopefully James isn't a lost cause.

I don't see why this great club has to shoulder the burden that the Titans gave to them. It seems unfair.

Ray McKigney

Juniors
You didn't hear any headlines because it was all swept under the carpet. You know the NRL owns the Titans. Don't pretend otherwise. I get you're easily duped by the media but think for yourself, notice how all these incidents take place on the Coast.

I rest my case.

POLICE could become involved in the James Roberts investigation after the nightclub at the centre of the latest scandal embroiling the strife-prone Brisbane Broncos star refused to hand over security footage to NRL investigators.

Roberts’ career hangs in the balance after he was accused of manhandling a woman at Broadbeach club Love Nightlife last weekend.

The NRL Integrity Unit has launched an investigation into the alleged incident, revealed this week by The Courier-Mail.

The 23-year-old, who works in a Gold Coast law firm, claimed Roberts grabbed her from behind and yanked her long blonde hair so badly she was left with a sore neck. She said he was then ejected from the club by bouncers.

Integrity Unit investigators have spent the past three days in Queensland interviewing the woman involved and speaking with nightclub staff.

They interviewed Roberts, who claimed to have no recollection of the incident, yesterday.

But the investigation, which the Broncos want resolved quickly, has been hampered by the nightclub’s refusal to hand over CCTV tapes.

Love Nightlife owner Tony Rigas told The Courier-Mail he was not obliged to provide the footage to NRL investigators.

“It’s against the law under the Liquor Act until it becomes an official investigation,’’ he said. “It has to be an official investigation by the QPS (Queensland Police Service) or Liquor Licensing before I can do anything. It has to go through the proper channels, I can’t just hand over video footage to anyone.”

Police confirmed the NRL Integrity Unit, despite being manned by former senior Queensland detectives Karyn Murphy and Grant Boorman, had “no legal standing” and could not force the nightclub to hand over the footage.

However, they said that they could become involved in the investigation if the woman made a formal assault complaint.

The woman has been reluctant to pursue a criminal complaint, but that could change if the NRL investigation is derailed. Her parents are understood to be furious at Roberts’ alleged actions.

The Broncos are poised to sack the talented but troubled star if the allegation is proved.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/a64ad72b08d0e3d0e5869897d8084737

Club owner probably on the Broncos payroll too, loves working under Uncle Wayne.

Ray McKigney

Juniors
lol tin foil. The reason the media prints negative articles about the Broncos is because they're are a big club. You don't hear anything about the Tigers do you?

PaulyTom

Juniors
Roberts to be shipped off to another club , if not before the start of this season he will be gone at the end

myrrh ken

First Grade
You didn't hear any headlines because it was all swept under the carpet. You know the NRL owns the Titans. Don't pretend otherwise. I get you're easily duped by the media but think for yourself, notice how all these incidents take place on the Coast.

I rest my case.

You are a genius

1. Roberts was at gc for two years. Only one of those years was when the nrl took over the club.

2. GC had a bit of a coke problem that was well publicised by the media when nrl took over control.

3. Normanby hotel aint in the gc.

4. Try harder gw. This troll account is bollocksed already

JamesRustle

First Grade
If this bloke is not hands down the biggest f*ckwit running around in the NRL......

He is just and out and out grub.

For a club publicly listed on the ASX and ruled by the corporate dollar, I am stunned they keep this scumbag around.

If I were a sponsor I would not want this germ promoting my product.
Two of their sponsors are probably happy... slater & gordon and pain away.

gcboyz

Juniors
When Roberts left the Titans it was presumed by most supporters that the club had not tried hard enough to retain him. He publicly stated that he wanted to stay (blah blah blah). Maybe with some knowledge and foresight he was off to the Donkeys with little resistance. He actually played his best football while at the Titans and last year at the Drongos was well below his best.
Take up boxing like your cousin Mundane, oops the you might have to fight men and thats not fair because they might hit back.

Ray McKigney

Juniors
When Roberts left the Titans it was presumed by most supporters that the club had not tried hard enough to retain him. He publicly stated that he wanted to stay (blah blah blah). Maybe with some knowledge and foresight he was off to the Donkeys with little resistance. He actually played his best football while at the Titans and last year at the Drongos was well below his best.
Take up boxing like your cousin Mundane, oops the you might have to fight men and thats not fair because they might hit back.

Titans fan I assume. You're one of the four. I can tell you're still butthurt over the elimination final. Get over it. Not even the refs could help your nrl owned rabble to a win.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.themercury.com.au/news/n...k=0e7658870734715f8083d67dc5ffc1af-1484911019

Brisbane Broncos James Roberts in new drunk claim
86a870238582f6c41298eb6c643194bf

GREG STOLZ, The Courier-Mail
January 20, 2017 9:13pm

THE James Roberts scandal has taken a further dive, with NRL investigators probing fresh claims about a second drunken incident on the night he allegedly pulled a woman’s hair.

Roberts was set to evade allegations he manhandled a young woman in a Gold Coast nightclub last weekend after the club refused to hand over CCTV footage to NRL Integrity Unit investigators.

But senior investigator Karyn Murphy will stay on the Coast this weekend to examine new claims that Roberts was issued with a drunk diversion notice by police after the alleged nightclub incident.

Channel 7 reported Friday that police were called after Roberts, who had been at the Gold Coast Magic Millions races, fell asleep in a cab at a McDonald’s restaurant.

Police reportedly bought Roberts a burger before dropping him off at a nearby unit complex. It is understood police were later called to a disturbance at the property.

The Broncos are likely to sack Roberts if the allegations are proven, meaning his NRL career hangs by a thread.

The Broncos referred Roberts to the Integrity Unit after a 23-year-old woman accused him of grabbing her from behind at Broadbeach nightclub Love Nightlife last weekend and yanking her hair so hard she was left with a sore neck.

But the investigation was stymied after the nightclub refused to hand over CCTV footage to Integrity Unit investigators.

Love Nightlife owner Tony Rigas told The Courier-Mail he could not release the footage unless there was an official police probe.

The alleged victim, who works in a Gold Coast law firm, was interviewed by Integrity Unit investigators on Tuesday but is reluctant to pursue a criminal complaint.

Her father said he was “furious” that the nightclub would not release the footage.

Whats Doing

Bench
Being issued with a drunk diversion notice by QPOL would appear to warrant termination of his contract based on past and recent behaviour.