What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taumalolo

Veteran Dragon

Juniors
The latest move, and particularly Payten’s comments, have seemingly reignited rumour mill that Taumalolo is on the outer at the club.
Speaking on LISTNR podcast Footy Talk, Newcorp footy journalist Brent Read said there had been “whispers they’re not on the same page”.
“I think he’d be a great pick up for the Dogs, because they’re desperately short of middles,” Read said. “I think he’d be a great pick up for the Dragons, and the Dragons need a kill.”
Nine’s Michael Chammas said he believed some teams would baulk at a price tag of $950,000, but suggested he’d “would be a bad buy” for $750,000 $800,000.

TheRev

First Grade
Gould has been after him for ages, id be amazed if we could get over them.. if it was somehow a 2024 release then its right up our alley financially (just like AFB was).. but it'll be 2025 for sure... I think the Cowboys just had a serious knee injury also on another young prop.

Although JT isnt my 1st choice... I think we are desperate for a big dog to lead this pack of absolute 17-21yr old babies that are on the verge of promotion.. after missing AFB.. im not sure who the next option is.

TheRev

First Grade
I was looking at the props today (and this is without any future signings or new standout juniors):

o 2023: We lost Kerr/JHunt/Lui-Toso/Musgrove

o 2024: A lot of kids are stepping up for regular 1st grade... Both Couchmans, Fifita & Tui are now expected to handle 1st grade, plus a series of development kids in Stewart, Ackers, Coric all have Dev Spots for 2024.

o 2025: Some of those kids are now getting more than just a taste... plus throw in Pasifiki Tonga, and guys like Latu, Hutchinson, Liu who are starting to emerge. Edit: Stanley-Traill also has a Dev Spot secured for 2025.

My point is that the "step up or step out" comment above is pretty accurate.. big things are going to be expected of some of these kids, they cant have 5yrs to acclimatise like some of our forwards have needed over the years.. I think they will all get short windows to play 1st grade, and we will keep the best.. and hopefully the NSW Cup pack will be stronger in the process.

I reckon Michael Molo steps out end of year, BMM gone.... Joshy Coric has to do something this year or he's gone... Fifita was heavily injured last year but did absolutely nothing.. he HAS to impress this year.. its just not an option, this is his time to make impact. Tui I thought was rly strong in cup (post injury), but he has to step up again now with his bench impact.. cause if they dont.. there will be new props pushing them out.

I also expect us to be chasing that big dawg which will take someones spot..... but we are certainly full on young forwards (other than a young hooker would be nice).

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
The latest move, and particularly Payten’s comments, have seemingly reignited rumour mill that Taumalolo is on the outer at the club.
Speaking on LISTNR podcast Footy Talk, Newcorp footy journalist Brent Read said there had been “whispers they’re not on the same page”.
“I think he’d be a great pick up for the Dogs, because they’re desperately short of middles,” Read said. “I think he’d be a great pick up for the Dragons, and the Dragons need a kill.”
Nine’s Michael Chammas said he believed some teams would baulk at a price tag of $950,000, but suggested he’d “would be a bad buy” for $750,000 $800,000.
Him and Payten have never really seen eye to eye. No real scoop by another journo rehashing old news after a change in captains

TheRev

First Grade
So,e may or should have more than this year, but otherwise I agree with the approach TheRev
I 1000% agree.. like some players just take more time.. JDB took years to really come good.. and if things had of played out differently, he was close to best in the NRL at one point... even Host was ok eventually.. but what do we do when we have so many kids with real promise.. we are just going to have to make hard choices.. and we wont get all of the decisions right.. its the nature of the beast... you have to use your judgement and roll the dice.

And some of these kids like Stanley-Traill are training with the NRL squad in 2025, so I suspect it wont just be skill, more so it'll be who impresses at training, their attitude, heart, injury prone etc..

Joshy Coric.. I mean deadset the 1 man who led that SG Ball win from the front.. the poor bastard missed years of development thru covid, and ~1.5yrs with injury, but what do you do.. he hasnt even played well in Cup yet.. im not sure how long we can hold on to him when we have a barrage of younger kids, many of which are already promised Dev and Top30 spots in the next few years.

We also cant have all of our development spots taken up with props & second rowers, we need to find a way to bring the other 9 jerseys through also =)

Last edited:

qld redvee

Juniors
I think he still has 4 years to go on contract so how "good ' will he be in the final 2 years ? I think injuries are catching up with him and do we need to block the path of somebody younger

denis preston

First Grade
I 1000% agree.. like some players just take more time.. JDB took years to really come good.. and if things had of played out differently, he was close to best in the NRL at one point... even Host was ok eventually.. but what do we do when we have so many kids with real promise.. we are just going to have to make hard choices.. and we wont get all of the decisions right.. its the nature of the beast... you have to use your judgement and roll the dice.

And some of these kids like Stanley-Traill are training with the NRL squad in 2025, so I suspect it wont just be skill, more so it'll be who impresses at training, their attitude, heart, injury prone etc..

Joshy Coric.. I mean deadset the 1 man who led that SG Ball win from the front.. the poor bastard missed years of development thru covid, and ~1.5yrs with injury, but what do you do.. he hasnt even played well in Cup yet.. im not sure how long we can hold on to him when we have a barrage of younger kids, many of which are already promised Dev and Top30 spots in the next few years.

We also cant have all of our development spots taken up with props & second rowers, we need to find a way to bring the other 11 positions through also =)
Also with Coric , he fits the Dan Hunt /Blocker Lawrie body set, which maybe outdated.

Old Timer

Coach
I would take him in a heart beat.
For around $700000 he would be a good buy.
Great footwork and power.
We don't have much of that. Plus a high work rate
I agree the trouble is he needs a coach who knows how to use those assets

The StGI coach thinks Bird is a centre and that Lomax is a winger and the old swap the FB & winger during the game tactic is a winner for 2024.

JT would more than likely look at that and the recruitment thus far for 2024 and say thanks but no thanks.

Carlton

Juniors
I just cant understand why JT would agree to leave the Cowboys. He's on a million dollars a year for the next four years and lives in North Queensland.

You would think it would need a big increase in his pay packet and for him to agree to leave, no matter how much Cowboys may want to move him on. Even if the Cowboys chip in, would he be able to get enough of an increase to make a move worthwhile?

The other stumbling block is the fact he has a guaranteed four years now.

I would be willing, given our cap position for the next two years, to pay him the million a year with the Cowboys chipping in the extra to make a move attractive. However, not for four years, two yes with a mutual option.

justadragon

Bench

The StGI coach thinks Bird is a centre and that Lomax is a winger and the old swap the FB & winger during the game tactic is a winner for 2024.

JT would more than likely look at that and the recruitment thus far for 2024 and say thanks but no thanks.
I think you are underestimating Flanno OT, what he feeds to the media and what the reality will be are 2 different things or at least thats my opinion.

DJDL

Bench
I just cant understand why JT would agree to leave the Cowboys. He's on a million dollars a year for the next four years and lives in North Queensland.

You would think it would need a big increase in his pay packet and for him to agree to leave, no matter how much Cowboys may want to move him on. Even if the Cowboys chip in, would he be able to get enough of an increase to make a move worthwhile?

The other stumbling block is the fact he has a guaranteed four years now.

I would be willing, given our cap position for the next two years, to pay him the million a year with the Cowboys chipping in the extra to make a move attractive. However, not for four years, two yes with a mutual option.

The trouble with that is the NRL won't sign off on a broken contract when the new deal is a significant upgrade.

BLM01

First Grade

What does it matter what Flanno does in R1. That is when you will stop following or watching what the team does until Flanno apologises although you seem to be the only waiting for the apology

denis preston

First Grade

OT , take a deep breath & release the Flanagan cancer from your body !

RedVee

First Grade
I would take him in a heart beat.
For around $700000 he would be a good buy.
Great footwork and power.
We don't have much of that. Plus a high work rate
I’d take him in a heartbeat for $500k from both us and Cows for two years. Not sure Cows would be up for that, but it would give them an extra $500k per year to spend elsewhere.
We want one of their back rowers so no point in letting the Cows off too cheaply so they can resign our real targets

Old Timer

Coach
What does it matter what Flanno does in R1. That is when you will stop following or watching what the team does until Flanno apologises although you seem to be the only waiting for the apology
I was discussing if J T in fact would consider a move to St GI and I offered a suggestion as to what J T might need to consider if it was a possibility.

On the evidence and statements at hand where arguably our best 3/4 is potentially going to be moved out of position to accommodate a severely busted former good player (but a coach's pet) as well as a FB who is highly questionable in all things other than attack, J T might scratch his head as to the coach's "ability".

Maybe I am the only one waiting to see some contrition and ownership but that doesn't make my position any more wrong than right it just makes my moral sensibility different to yours. I'm not questioning your right to make a judgement on Flanagan but you seem to question mine.

OT , take a deep breath & release the Flanagan cancer from your body !
D P I hear what you are saying but Danks and the peptide issues and some of the aftermath of that plus Flanagan's blatant disregard for his sanction sits very badly with me.

Young lives entrusted to a officials who were willing to take them down a dirty and unknown road which ultimately ended in players being duped and reputations tarnished is a breach too far for my liking.

Victoire

Juniors
Uh oh, once again it looks like we've hit the muddied pothole that is a wanky Old Timer rant. Let's swerve around it shall we, and bring the chat to the topic of the thread title.

JT13 aint gonna happen... mainly because he has so long left on his Cowboys contract, he's still an extremely vital player in their team regardless of the opinions of the peanut gallery (he was immense for them in 2023 when they made the prelim, and in 24 he had an injury-plagued season which in turn led to the Cows missing the finals), and ultimately I think the only reason he's been mentioned at all is because of some creative extrapolation by some journos looking for a story. He'll be staying in NQ