What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings

Quigs

Immortal
I want Jennings, and I don't mind if we chase Monaghan and his dog.

I'm not the slightest bit worried if we chase that tacker from East that just got arrested.

I dont care anymore who we get.

Just win a farkkkerr, that's all i want.

sharknows

Bench
Class player when his mind is on the job but was always gonna fire up for his first game for a new club. Way too inconsistent for mine.
Gotta agree there, he was doing nothing at Parra prior to going to Warriors. It will be interesting to see if Hasler can keep him going week after week.

RUBIKS

Juniors
Eight NRL chasing exiled Penrith Panthers centre Michael Jennings but Phil Gould says Jennings will stay at club

EIGHT NRL clubs have secretly started negotiations to lure exiled centre Michael Jennings away from Penrith - but Panthers football boss Phil Gould says he knows nothing about it.

Gould last night flatly denied the Panthers were shopping around the club's highest paid player as the rugby league rumour mill went into overdrive that both South Sydney and Canterbury were keen to snap up the out-of-favour NSW three-quarter.

"I hear the same rumours you hear, and I have heard nothing from his management or Michael," Gould said.

"Michael was here at the club (Sunday night). We had a big function and he was with the players celebrating their win.

"Neither Michael or his management have approached me for a release. Neither Michael or his management have said anything to me about these rumours."I don't take any stock in rumours, I don't worry about it, simple as that. The situation is he is contracted here for another three years.

"He is out suspended at the moment, his next game will probably be for NSW and then he is back here for us.

"I haven't had any indication from his management that they are looking to move him or from Michael that he is looking to move."

Asked if he wanted Jennings to stay at Penrith, Gould said: "That is up to Michael, it is really up to Michael whether he wants to be here. I mean, he was dropped three weeks ago and since then he hasn't been available for Penrith.

"He was with the Origin (side) and he got suspended out of Origin so he is not available for us until the Warriors Monday week. It is up to the coaches then whether they play him or what they do with him, I don't make those decisions."

The Daily Telegraph understands that six clubs have already contacted Jennings' management company with two more expected to show interest this week.Although Jennings is still a Panther, the rival clubs are positioning themselves should Penrith suddenly announce Jennings is a free agent.

Canterbury were revealed as one interested party over the weekend with Souths and St George Illawarra also mooted on social forums.

Clubs are privately determining exactly how much they could pay Penrith to buy out Jennings' contract. Penrith may agree to a deal of about $300,000 - money that would then free-up their salary cap.

The Panthers would though have to pay the remainder of Jennings' deal, an amount far less than the original $650,000.

But Gould was adamant no pay-out scenario was being talked about at Penrith. "We've got absolutely no plans to move Michael Jennings," he said.

"His position in the first-grade side is between him and the coach. The coach made a decision three weeks ago to drop him and he went back and played for Windsor. From there he was selected for NSW. He wasn't available for the Cowboys game because of rep duty, he wasn't available for the Manly game because he was suspended. We've got a bye next weekend, he then probably plays for NSW the following week, it will be a while before he is even available for us."
Source

Gould... :roll:

bull shark

Juniors
From SMH 29/5:
NSW ORIGIN centre Michael Jennings has been told by Penrith that he is free to look for a new club as the ARL Commission prepares to reject the Panthers' application for a huge salary cap exemption.
As South Sydney became the latest team to be linked with Jennings, it also emerged that the ARLC was on the cusp of rejecting the submission filed by Penrith boss Phil Gould to alleviate the salary cap pressure on the club.
Uncertainty has clouded Jennings's future for weeks, but Penrith's intentions have now become clear. The result, the Herald has learnt, is that he has effectively been offered a release from his $600,000-a-season deal that runs until the end of 2015 and asked whether he could find another club.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Weighed down by salary cap constraints as a result of recruitment and retention decisions made before their arrival, Penrith coach Ivan Cleary and general manager Gould are endeavouring to give the Panthers some room to move in terms of their roster, and Jennings is the prime target.
One of the NRL's most exciting players when at the top of his game, Jennings - in the second season of a five-year contract - is regarded as too expensive given Penrith's salary cap predicament.
Getting rid of him, however, will be no simple exercise. Canterbury were reported at the weekend to have signalled an interest in Jennings - although officially they are denying any, having just signed Krisnan Inu - and there was speculation yesterday that South Sydney might be keen to add the left-side centre to their star-studded line-up.
But it is unlikely rival clubs will be willing to pay the 24-year-old the value of his current contract, meaning that even if he signed elsewhere, the Panthers would likely have to fork out a portion of his income themselves - and, crucially, have it still included in their salary cap.
Cleary would not comment at a Penrith recovery session yesterday, and Gould did not return calls.
Relatively new arrivals at the Panthers, they have taken over with the books in disarray in terms of player payments, with back-ended deals crippling their recruitment strategy. Half of Penrith's salary cap for 2014 is reportedly taken up by only five players - Jennings, Luke Lewis, Lachlan Coote, Sam McKendry and Tim Grant.
Gould has taken the issue to ARLC chief executive David Gallop in an effort to gain some relief but the indications last night were the Panthers will not be given special assistance. The commission appears intent on not providing cap favours for one team, knowing that the other 15 would likely claim unfairness.
''The Panthers have provided us with a submission,'' Gallop said. ''It's not appropriate to go into the details but it goes without saying that salary-cap exemptions or concessions for one club and not others is a difficult hurdle to jump.
''There has to be consideration for the equality of the 16 clubs and their salary caps.''
Jennings was suspended for Penrith's 22-4 win over Manly on Sunday after throwing a wild punch at Brent Tate that earned him a sin-binning during the first State of Origin match last Wednesday in Melbourne. Due to representative commitments, he has not appeared in first grade since being demoted to NSW Cup feeder side Windsor Wolves by Cleary earlier this month for drinking while injured on Anzac Day.
It is understood that was Jennings's third disciplinary breach, and while the club declined to note it as an official transgression - knowing that disciplining a player for having a beer on Anzac Day would be a bad look - they could terminate his contract as a result. The difficulty of ripping up contracts, though, and the likelihood of subsequent legal action from the sacked player, makes this a last-resort option for Penrith.

Card Shark

Immortal
He's hardly gunna say "we wanna get rid of him" because that will lower the bids.

Not saying Gould is not a dope though.

What I find amusing is the dickheads at Penrith who got themselves into this mess have hired Gould to get them out of it.

perfect example of why back loading contracts should be outlawed

It's deteriorating the standard of the competition and goes against the purpose of the salary cap

allowing teams to hoard players under market value in the hope of short term success isn't in the spirit of the game and if you don't come away with the results it completely f*cks up your roster.. very dangerous strategy IMO

sad thing about that is most clubs perceive it as a necessary tactic to compete

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
They could pay him in pies or a pie, like the Stinking Stains did with spaz.

If it don't work the magic then he can just retire.