What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns to announce he's staying in RL on Footy Show.

Nook

Bench
Both. But for mine, the concerns of the game are central here, and not the club. I think the NRL would be happy for Joey to play for the Warriors if it meant he was staying away from union.

BuffaloRules

Coach
taxidriver said:
so who needs Johns, the Knights or the game ???

I'm not sure if League needs him, but I know that Union probably needs him to get free to air TV for the Super 12's next year.

For crying out loud.....

People have done everything they can to keep a Legend in the game.

How is that a bad thing?

Also, the NRL have not added a single thing to the Johns deal.

Channel 9 and New Ltd may have....but the NRL did not.

troydodds

Juniors
taxidriver said:
Don't channel 9 own NBN and doesn't NBN sponsor the Knights ?

Something I thought of too, but I am guessing Channel Nine won't actually "sponsor" Johns, but they will "employee" him.

For example, if a younger player earns $25k in football and $10k a year at the local pub pulling beers, and that local pub sponsors the club, that doesn't mean the club has to declare the players earnings from the pub. If that makes sense!

Ie - Adam MacDougall did some co-commentary work on 2GB last week. He would have been employed by 2GB to do it. If 2GB sponsored the rabbitohs, it wouldn't make one bit of difference.

But if 2GB sponsored MacDougall and he made appearances on the network as part of that sponsorship, then there would be a problem

troydodds

Juniors
To shoot my argument in the foot though, I guess that creates some loopholes.

Could Sanyo, for example, put Rhys Wesser on the payroll as a "spokesperson", for example?

They are not actually sponsoring him, but employeeing him.

There's no law saying players cant have other jobs.

troydodds said:
To shoot my argument in the foot though, I guess that creates some loopholes.

Could Sanyo, for example, put Rhys Wesser on the payroll as a "spokesperson", for example?

They are not actually sponsoring him, but employeeing him.

There's no law saying players cant have other jobs.

I think you may have the rules a bit mixed up.

Players cant be sponsors at all by a club sponsor.

They can recieve money from a sponsor that has no connection with a club....but they player and the sponsor have to show the NRL that the player actually does something to EARN that money.

Thats my understanding anyway.

legend

Coach
In theory, yes it would.

I don't think people realise the bigger picture here. Johns going to Union in any capacity was a major body blow to league and Packer knew this. Somebody raised a point in one of the many threads on the topic that the youngsters who idolise Johns would have potentially been opened up to a new sport, a rival sport, further eroding League's power base in their own heartland.

If Johns stays it will be a massive body blow to Rugby because no matter how hard they tried, they did not have enough to entice Johns to their game.

David Gallop, David Gyngell etc can feel proud of their efforts if Johns remains.

taxidriver

Coach
So Johns is bigger than the game ?

The Knights get to keep a player they would NOT have kept under the cap while other sides have to shed talent.

I for one don't put him above the game.

I'm not Joey bashing, I'm NRL bashing.

Parraren

Bench
taxidriver said:
Maurice Lindsay is knocking on Mark Gasniers door, let's see if the NRL intervenes to keep a player with 10 years ahead of him.

Good call taxi. I'd be seriously pissed off if I was a Dragons supporter right now. If Gasnier goes, Gallop won't bat an eye lid. But for fat ar$e everyone is falling over themselves. Dangerous precedent and it's not fair nor right.

Tyne'e

legend said:
In theory, yes it would.

I don't think people realise the bigger picture here. Johns going to Union in any capacity was a major body blow to league and Packer knew this. Somebody raised a point in one of the many threads on the topic that the youngsters who idolise Johns would have potentially been opened up to a new sport, a rival sport, further eroding League's power base in their own heartland.

If Johns stays it will be a massive body blow to Rugby because no matter how hard they tried, they did not have enough to entice Johns to their game.

David Gallop, David Gyngell etc can feel proud of their efforts if Johns remains.

I concur, all these people having a winge now have spent the last week bleating about UNION, admitedly the NRL should of stood up and been counted when UNION started there raids, but isnt it better to close the stable door before ALL the horses get out.

Andrew Johns may not be bigger than the game but his profile was a lot higher than Lote, Wendle and Matt.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
For f*cks sake the guy is arguably the greatest player the game has ever produced. He is a future immortal. When fit he is the captain of Newcastle, NSW and Australia. He is the most recognizable player in the game. Gallop and co SHOULD be doing everything they can to keep him in the game.

It is not a matter of the NRL needing Johns. That answer is simple. Hell no. There will always new new superstars. Sailor, Tiquiri and Rogers might have gone but Lewis, Hunt, Slater and Marshal are already emerging.

It's more a matter of symbolism. It's league V Union. How bad would it look to lose Johns, the games best player, to union.

Comparing Johns with Gasnier is lame. For all the good Gasnier has done he wiped that out in one night.

eastsrule

Bench
But in fairness to the Dragons. He is a great player and a local junior. He should be allowed to play for his favourite club. But the Dragons have to pay heaps for him. Just because Union didn't want him.