What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jordan McLean

nulla boy

Juniors
Just want to get the opinion of knights fans on what,if any, punishment Jordan McLean will get.
Should he play again? Do you think it was bad luck and he should get the usual few weeks suspension for a lifting tackle? Do you think it was all his fault? Etc etc.

perverse

Referee
I don't really care anymore. I did immediately after the incident, but there are bigger things to worry about at this point. Certainly hold no ill-will against the guy, there was no malice or intention to significantly harm Alex.

The NRL has set precedence in punishing players based on the injury results of their illegal actions on the field. I would expect that this is the case again in this instance, but that's more to do with the way Snowden was treated by the NRL last year, and I'd have the same opinion regardless of who this happened to for any club.

I won't blow up or care if they go light on him, though. He's probably feeling shit enough as it is and I hope the guy is able to put it behind him at some point himself.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
Yeah I don't really care. I'm sure he's suffering enough. Give him 2 weeks. But those tackles need to be penalised as soon as someone grabs one leg and lifts it.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I wish to see the wrestle and this lifting type tackles out of the game once and for all. I dont blame the kid for what happened it was a tragic accident and one that he will have to live with for the rest of his life. If I was to blame anyone it would be the people who coach this type of tackle and those that allow it to continue

Spot On

Coach
Surely there will be a crackdown on lifting in tackles. I'd like to see severe suspensions for it. A penalty and a week or two off aint going to cut it. There's too many of them and they aren't being policed effectively on the field for starters.

Precedent would suggest Maclean will face a lengthy suspension. This incident has seen saturation coverage across all types of media and I dare say a slap on the wrist will only attract huge criticism. It really is an opportunity to say that lifting tackles are not part of the game.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
I'm pretty indifferent about it for the most part. I could understand and get behind the reasoning for either a few weeks (2 - 4) or a lengthy suspension. Just as long as it isn't a complete slap on the wrist.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
2 wrongs don't make a right. The NRL are geniused for the way they handled Snowden so I don't want that precedence to continue.

I read that channel 9 (true to form) were incorrect in their reports of Alex being diagnosed as a quadriplegic also.

Spot On

Coach
2 wrongs don't make a right. The NRL are geniused for the way they handled Snowden so I don't want that precedence to continue.

I read that channel 9 (true to form) were incorrect in their reports of Alex being diagnosed as a quadriplegic also.

Do you believe the next player who breaks the jaw of an opponent through a shoulder charge will be given a Snowden type suspension???

I can remember the outcry and public statements from the Cowboy's players at the time. I couldn't be more proud of the way our players, coach, club and fans have gone about expressing their opinions on the suspension Maclean should receive.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Do you believe the next player who breaks the jaw of an opponent through a shoulder charge will be given a Snowden type suspension???

I can remember the outcry and public statements from the Cowboy's players at the time. I couldn't be more proud of the way our players, coach, club and fans have gone about expressing their opinions on the suspension Maclean should receive.

I'd rather they look like moronic hypocrites than continue to turn the game into a joke.

Whats Doing

Bench
The dumping of a player on the neck was always a serious accident waiting to happen.

Whilst I don't think it was intentional a soft penalty will send the wrong message.

We need to ensure that the penalty imposed is severe enough that it will leverage to eradicate the tackle from the game.

I also think that the referees have a role to play and calling held earlier is required and sending off of players should they follow through with the tackle if the player landing on his neck/head should be the norm.

I rather see 13 playing against 12 than a player being stretchered off like Alex.

Spot On

Coach
The dumping of a player on the neck was always a serious accident waiting to happen.

Whilst I don't think it was intentional a soft penalty will send the wrong message.

We need to ensure that the penalty imposed is severe enough that it will leverage to eradicate the tackle from the game.

I also think that the referees have a role to play and calling held earlier is required and sending off of players should they follow through with the tackle if the player landing on his neck/head should be the norm.

I rather see 13 playing against 12 than a player being stretchered off like Alex.

Totally agree. And that is why I think there will be a very long suspension. In fact, I'll be shocked if they go the other way as it will most definitely send the wrong message.

The lifting in tackles must now be eradicated and hopefully there may be a return to somewhat of a traditional tackling technique - around the legs. f**k off the other shit that has evolved the past decade.

Joker's Wild

Coach
He needs to get 6+ weeks but more importantly, the NRL needs to site and hand down similar penalties for spear tackles from here onwards

It simply has to be wiped out of the game and players need to think twice before lifting in a tackle

It sucks but the kid needs to cop it for the good of the game

Noname36

First Grade
I don't really care anymore. I did immediately after the incident, but there are bigger things to worry about at this point. Certainly hold no ill-will against the guy, there was no malice or intention to significantly harm Alex.

The NRL has set precedence in punishing players based on the injury results of their illegal actions on the field. I would expect that this is the case again in this instance, but that's more to do with the way Snowden was treated by the NRL last year, and I'd have the same opinion regardless of who this happened to for any club.

I won't blow up or care if they go light on him, though. He's probably feeling shit enough as it is and I hope the guy is able to put it behind him at some point himself.

This is it in a nutshell for me. Back when it first happened and I didn't know it was this serious I wanted him to get charged simply so I knew they were taking what happened to Alex just as seriously as they took the injury to the NQ player due to Snowden's "shoulder charge". However now what happens or doesn't happen to McLean is really the furthest thing from my mind.

Tayjack

Juniors
Totally agree. And that is why I think there will be a very long suspension. In fact, I'll be shocked if they go the other way as it will most definitely send the wrong message.

The lifting in tackles must now be eradicated and hopefully there may be a return to somewhat of a traditional tackling technique - around the legs. f**k off the other shit that has evolved the past decade.

There is really no talk of how the real damage was done, it was clearly the weight of two front rowers with all their weight bearing down that proved the vital blow, the one arm in between the legs - that action only cause his top half of the body to go over, his legs hardly went anywhere near the horizontal, and withe the two other blokes, their 240 kg combined drilled his head into the turf just as alex tucked his head down.

Long suspension???..get real, complete accident, and if they suspend him on the injury out of it, the judiciary members ought to resign. Nothing but an accident.

Big Tim

First Grade
About as accidental as Snowden's shoulder last year. However, as a man was in hospital having his jaw wired, Snowden was facing a massive suspension.

Alex is facing a lifetime of struggling.

What the other 2 did is a result of the lift, they are not the scapegoat to this 'accident'. They are not the reason he should be treated with kid gloves. Whilst he cant control what the other 2 were doing in the tackle, he could have ensured that Alex didnt have his weight shifted from his torso to his neck and shoulders.

McLean lifted him. He is responsible for how he came down.

A lengthy suspension is the only message to send to the NRL, and all of Rugby League.

Knight Vision

First Grade
About as accidental as Snowden's shoulder last year. However, as a man was in hospital having his jaw wired, Snowden was facing a massive suspension.

Alex is facing a lifetime of struggling.

What the other 2 did is a result of the lift, they are not the scapegoat to this 'accident'. They are not the reason he should be treated with kid gloves. Whilst he cant control what the other 2 were doing in the tackle, he could have ensured that Alex didnt have his weight shifted from his torso to his neck and shoulders.

McLean lifted him. He is responsible for how he came down.

A lengthy suspension is the only message to send to the NRL, and all of Rugby League.
Agreed. I believe the suspension should be at the very least a season ending one. perhaps more. He lifted and there is a young boy fighting for his life - argue as you will about this or that or what ever blah blah .....facts are facts.

Matt23

Staff member
I don't blame him, I blame the coaching that taught him to tackle like that...wrestling & lifting need's to removed immediately from the game.
For the record he should he get 2-4 weeks, 6 weeks + if they decide to make an example of him, which i hope they don't.

Three men on one in a tackle is way over the top. Always has been. It is ridiculous that 300 kgs plus can smash into a bloke, immobililise and then twist his body. Two man tackles with no lifting. Simple. Third man in equals penalty.