What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ken Edwards says AFL above NRL

Ultima

Juniors
OK show me your facts..... Oh wait... Oh I'm sorry... I didn't realise you were making that up.....

TV Ratings are the highest they have ever been.....

dimitri

First Grade
tv ratings and tv coverage are 2 different things

these days

nsw only gets games at 830 fri and 4pm sunday

neither live

like the AFL

league in other states (except QLD) you are unlikely to get it before midnight

iggy plop

First Grade
Ultima said:
OK show me your facts..... Oh wait... Oh I'm sorry... I didn't realise you were making that up.....

TV Ratings are the highest they have ever been.....

I am sick to f**kin death of people pulling the TV ratings thing out of their asses. Just because two games a weekend rate ok, doesn't mean the game as a whole is in great nic. Just go up to Brisbane and you'll realise the inroads the ping pongers have made in that once hardcore league city. AFL ads are everywhere and games are on all weekend. There is even a half hour show devoted to the AFLQ (local comp) on channel 10.

Kids are bombarded with this crap then grow up knowing nothing else. League still leads the sports news on most occasions, but that could change too. The media up there is Broncos and nothing else when it comes to league. The QLD Cup suffers as a consequence. There is so many other things (like QLD Cup) they could report on.

The thousnads of Victorians who have moved up there are pushing their shitty little scarf wearing culture and are winning the battle.

Like the ad says AFL is EVERYWHERE!!!!. The NRL must get EVERYWHERE as well.

just listen to that cocky Demetriou turd on the tele yesterday and you'll see how arrogant the AFL is starting to get.

Blade

Juniors
Guy and gals,

If you are going to claim that Rugby League's TV ratings this season are in the shitter, please provide a source or some evidence of some kind to back your claims. It may be so, but I'm highly skeptical of this.

BTW, I've just forwarded my comments to the NRL over this matter. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for a reply. I've forwarded the NRL requests/inquiries in the past, maybe close to a dozen times, but have NEVER received a reply. Nada! They just don't seem to understand the proper characterization of the phrase 'common decency.'

The NRL are masters at doing things their way. :roll:

Caged Panther

First Grade
Yep Mark O'meley was on channel 10 news and stated that most of the bulldogs players expressed a preference for playing the game at the showground anyhow. If that's the case I don't see the problem.

Solon

Juniors
I'm astonished at the level of hysteria surrounding this decision. Especially from someone like Moffo who claims to have studied sports administration.

Stadium Australia is a commercial operation, they exist to make money, something they've not been overly good at recently. They need to get as big a crowd in as possible.

So, bearing that in mind, which is likely to get the biggest crowd? A Swans final or a Bulldogs final? Even the Bulldogs concede that they'd be unlikely to pull more than 40,000. The Swans have shown that they can attract crowds well in excess of that.

It's a commercial decision, nothing more. SA has no particular loyalty to any sport, they just want a big crowd.

Moffo

Referee
Solon said:
I'm astonished at the level of hysteria surrounding this decision. Especially from someone like Moffo who claims to have studied sports administration.

Stadium Australia is a commercial operation, they exist to make money, something they've not been overly good at recently. They need to get as big a crowd in as possible.

So, bearing that in mind, which is likely to get the biggest crowd? A Swans final or a Bulldogs final? Even the Bulldogs concede that they'd be unlikely to pull more than 40,000. The Swans have shown that they can attract crowds well in excess of that.

It's a commercial decision, nothing more. SA has no particular loyalty to any sport, they just want a big crowd.

Yeh, so who are you exactly Solon?

I dont 'claim' to have studied it. I have, ill pass on my academic record if your really that interested.

Lets review facts. Swans have had 6 games at Stadium Australia. One game pulled 72,000 and one pulled 54,000. The rest have drawn in between 25-45,000. All of these games were against big Melbourne teams who brought a lot of fans of their own. Now, 6/8 of the finals AFL teams are from interstate. Take out Sydney and the fact that Collingwood will probably win in week 1 and Essendon will go out, and you are left with a situation where the Swans will play a Fremantle, Brisbane or Adelaide. Tell me how big their fan bases are in Sydney?

What would a Sydney/Fremantle game draw Solon? Under 60k? Isn't 60k the breakeven mark for AFL at Stade De Oz? Think it is mate, in which case, the Swans would make a loss on the event

That said, your monetary argument is perhaps correct. Unless the Dogs played the Eels or maybe Roosters, we wouldn't crack 40-45,000. But will the Swans necessarily crack that record by such a large amount, particularly if they play Fremantle?

SA has a closer affiliation with the NRL. They have played a lot more games at SA than the AFL has. The NRL has seen crowds of

107,999 (Stg/Melb 1999)
104,583,(NRL Double Header 1999)
88,000 (SOO 1999)
80,000 (SOO 2003)
80,000,(Roosters/Warriors 2002)
94,000 (Roosters/Broncos 2000)
74,000 (SOO 2002)
80,000 (Knights/Eels 2001)

Thats just off the top of my head. Eight crowds all in excess of what the AFL have EVER drew at that ground. Don't tell me SA would have more to gain by remaining affiliated with the AFL vs being affiliated with the NRL

Which reinforces my belief that the NRL and Bulldogs management are soft and stupid for not pushing SA management on this issue

Regards,
Moffo

Moffo

Referee
Caged Panther said:
Yep Mark O'meley was on channel 10 news and stated that most of the bulldogs players expressed a preference for playing the game at the showground anyhow. If that's the case I don't see the problem.

Puppets. What i have heard is that the guys hate the ground. Those words would've been forced down his throat by Dogs management.

Cheers,
Moffo

Ultima

Juniors
iggy plop said:
I am sick to f**kin death of people pulling the TV ratings thing out of their asses. Just because two games a weekend rate ok, doesn't mean the game as a whole is in great nic. Just go up to Brisbane and you'll realise the inroads the ping pongers have made in that once hardcore league city.

Thanks for showing the world you really can't read.... Try throwing your eyes over my location for a few seconds... Also being the expert that you are can you please tell me the percentage that NRL games crowds and ratings have dropped by up here in QLD? What's that? They haven't? Well there goes your argument.... Yes the AFL is starting to be popular up here but considering they have won two years in a row and everyone who watches it is from Melbourne and wouldn't go to the NRL either way... Where is the issue?

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
I hope the NRL reads this f**king forum, I hate AFL its a motherf**king pufter sport where you cant even f**king slip over without the pufter crownd going "ooooooooooo he got back up, his our best player today". Stupid soft cocks dont deserve a ground like that, but seeing as the dogs play there i'm not surprise all afl had to do was give someone a fully sick done up subwoofer lancer and the f**king Mediterranean Descendants would have caved in. NRl this is a f**king disgrace and Moffo i wrote 3 pages of abuse to NRL. f**king Disgraceful.

Laterz

syphon

Juniors
Moffo said:
The NRL has seen crowds of

107,999 (Stg/Melb 1999)
88,000 (SOO 1999)
80,000 (SOO 2003)
74,000 (SOO 2002)

Do you even know what the NRL is or what games fall under its juristiction? i have seen you sprout out ridiculous rantings time after time.. NRL got this, NRL got that, whilst rattling off SOO figures.

fact is, the bulldogs wouldnt get anywhere near 50,000 in a hissy fit. can you tell me the last time an NRL/ARL/NSWRL game got 50,000 excluding a double header or a grand final?? i think you will find it was some 40 years ago.

El Diablo

Post Whore
syphon said:
Moffo said:
The NRL has seen crowds of

107,999 (Stg/Melb 1999)
88,000 (SOO 1999)
80,000 (SOO 2003)
74,000 (SOO 2002)

Do you even know what the NRL is or what games fall under its juristiction? i have seen you sprout out ridiculous rantings time after time.. NRL got this, NRL got that, whilst rattling off SOO figures.

fact is, the bulldogs wouldnt get anywhere near 50,000 in a hissy fit. can you tell me the last time an NRL/ARL/NSWRL game got 50,000 excluding a double header or a grand final?? i think you will find it was some 40 years ago.

Hey, why don't you look at Brisbane'stop 5 or so high crowds. They're over 50,000.

Funny Brisbane weren't in the comp 40 years ago.

Solon

Juniors
Moffo said:
Yeh, so who are you exactly Solon?
Well, who are you exactly Moffo?

Moffo said:
I dont 'claim' to have studied it. I have, ill pass on my academic record if your really that interested.
Not really.

Moffo said:
Lets review facts. Swans have had 6 games at Stadium Australia. One game pulled 72,000 and one pulled 54,000. The rest have drawn in between 25-45,000. All of these games were against big Melbourne teams who brought a lot of fans of their own. Now, 6/8 of the finals AFL teams are from interstate. Take out Sydney and the fact that Collingwood will probably win in week 1 and Essendon will go out, and you are left with a situation where the Swans will play a Fremantle, Brisbane or Adelaide. Tell me how big their fan bases are in Sydney?
Pretty small I would expect. But I would expect around the same number of Swans fans to turn out for the game as turned out for the game against Collingwood. 72,000 at that game, and you can't tell me (well, you might but it would be incredulous) that more than 20,000 of those came from interstate to see Collingwood. That's a minimum of 50,000, more likely 60,000+. Now, I can't find a game involving the Bulldogs other than grand finals that even approached this figure in the records.

Moffo said:
What would a Sydney/Fremantle game draw Solon? Under 60k? Isn't 60k the breakeven mark for AFL at Stade De Oz? Think it is mate, in which case, the Swans would make a loss on the event
In which case the Bulldogs would make an even bigger loss.

Moffo said:
That said, your monetary argument is perhaps correct. Unless the Dogs played the Eels or maybe Roosters, we wouldn't crack 40-45,000. But will the Swans necessarily crack that record by such a large amount, particularly if they play Fremantle?
Maybe, maybe not - looks like we'll all find out next week. Obviously SA management feel that the Swans are a better chance of getting there than the Bulldogs though, and it's hard to blame them.

Moffo said:
SA has a closer affiliation with the NRL. They have played a lot more games at SA than the AFL has. The NRL has seen crowds of

107,999 (Stg/Melb 1999)
88,000 (SOO 1999)
80,000 (SOO 2003)
74,000 (SOO 2002)

Thats just off the top of my head. Eight crowds all in excess of what the AFL have EVER drew at that ground. Don't tell me SA would have more to gain by remaining affiliated with the AFL vs being affiliated with the NRL
Sigh. As I've said, it's not a question of one vs the other, SA obviously want both to play at the ground. On this occasion, SA feel that the Swans would draw a bigger crowd - it just makes commercial sense. On the other hand, if the NRL wanted to make a bigger issue out of it then they could perhaps withdraw from the ground, but the NRL's got enough distractions and bad news a few days out from the finals already, surely. Perhaps they could bring it up again after the end of the season?

Syphon's already addressed your point on crowds, I've nothing further to add.

Moffo said:
Which reinforces my belief that the NRL and Bulldogs management are soft and stupid for not pushing SA management on this issue

Regards,
Moffo
Well, one wonders exactly what sort of pushing they could do, really. The ball's in SA's court - they had the choice of one or the other and they made the choice.

syphon

Juniors
oh yeah, brisbane got a 50,000 crowd. that must mean the bulldogs have a mandate on stadium australia.

must have been a while ago... was that in the whizbang new stadium up there or the "supposedly" much hated ANZ stadium. (or was that just the excuse as to the piss poor crowds?)

if so, where are all these fans now?

Ultima

Juniors
When did ANZ EVER have piss poor crowds? A stadium that averaged 20K with a capacity of only 24-26K isn't what I would call "piss poor"....

syphon

Juniors
not all that relevant, games outside sydney. do you think that would add credence to the bulldogs claim over the swans?? methinks moffo is delusional. :roll:

SA would be incompetent to shun the AFL in favour of a 30,000 crowd (max, depending on the team they face) whereas the swans are probably going to play essendon, and they will sell out.

Ultima

Juniors
From your own webpage:

AFL Crowds *Since:1/1/03
Highest: 72,393
Lowest: 500 :lol:

Rugby League Crowds *Since:1/1/03
Highest: 79,132
Lowest: 3,000

I might also add that there was only ONE sporting event that broke into the top 10 of any TV rating charts in July.... It was the SOO... The 3rd game in an already won series might I add...