What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kit clashing

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I was a bit confused last night as to why Brisbane went with that grey/white jersey when the maroon would've been much less of a clash.

As a general policy (save for marketing jerseys and special event e.g. indigenous/anzac round), clubs should (IMO) wear their main jersey as much as possible, and only the clash/away/alternate jersey when there is an obvious visual issue. I think this is becoming more important in the advent of streaming matches on small devices - long shots make it all but impossible to tell players apart on a smartphone screen.

Having said that I also think the NRL has an arse-about idea of what colours clash and too often base their decisions only on jersey and not full kit (shorts+socks), and also sometimes only on renders/mockups of jerseys rather than what they look like in the flesh.

Scorpio30

Bench
I had to bail from watching Bronco's v Raiders last Friday....Maroon v Forest Green...nightmare when you have red/green defeciency...I saw 26 players from the same team running around.

snickers007

Juniors
Refs should have final say to get away side to change if they don't already.

Under the Laws of Rugby League they do.
But in terms of the NRL, they probably delegate that decision to the NRL - and accept their decision.

Would be a very brave referee to delay/postpone an NRL match based on a perceived uniform clash.

It's a bit out of date, but the 2012 NRL Operations Manual (which I found on the ABC news website) had this to say regarding jersey clashes -

1.15.1 Jersey Clashes

a. All Clubs are required to have two playing strips in contrasting colours to avoid clashes with other teams that may play in similar colours.

b. In all cases the Home Team will be entitled to wear the playing strip of their choice. The Visiting Team may apply to the NRL Director of Football (or his nominee) for approval to wear either of their playing strips, however, where the NRL Director of Football (or his nominee) considers that the Visiting Team’s strip selection does not sufficiently contrast with the Home Team’s selection, the NRL Director of Football (or his nominee) may direct the Visiting Team to wear their alternate strip.

c. If the NRL Director of Football (or his nominee) is of the opinion that the colour contrast between the two playing strips of any Club is not sufficient, the Club concerned will be required to have a third playing strip in a completely contrasting colour available for use as directed by the NRL Director of Football (or his nominee). Any Club required to have a third playing strip will be advised in writing by the NRL Director of Football (or his nominee).

d. The Form of Notice (attachment E) advising of the Home Teams selected playing strip, and the Visiting Team’s requested playing strip, must be completed and faxed or emailed to the NRL Director of Football (or his nominee) by 5:00pm on the Monday preceding each match.

e. The NRL Director of Football (or his nominee) will advise Clubs of approved playing strips as soon as possible after receiving the Form of Notice.

f. In matches played at ‘neutral’ venues (e.g. Finals) both participating

Clubs may apply to the NRL Director of Football (or his nominee) for
approval to wear their preferred playing strip. After considering such
requests the NRL Director of Football (or his nominee) will advise both
competing teams of the approved playing strips for that match.

I doubt somehow that policy has changed much. Hope that helps.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Some of them are mind boggling

My dragons have come up with a good one again this week

'We are playing the orange & black Tigers this week. Our colour is white.

I know! Let's wear the red jersey!'

myrrh ken

First Grade
I still laugh at the year the Knights who picked the orange jersey when they versed the tigers. Geniuses!
r0_265_5184_3191_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

That came first to mind. Maybe it was the knights trying to play mind games.

JD359

Juniors
I was watching Fox League las nite but noticed a few ppl on Twitter commenting about the Ch9 guys talking about it. I have no idea why teams don't wear their main strip more often, & like some have said here, only wear an 'alternate' strip when absolutely necessary. Never used to have issues with teams like Norths, Western Reds, Wests, Balmain jus to name a few. I agree that it's obv jus' a marketing ploy by either NRL itself, the clubs or both to steal more cash from families...

big hit!

Bench
I was watching Fox League las nite but noticed a few ppl on Twitter commenting about the Ch9 guys talking about it. I have no idea why teams don't wear their main strip more often, & like some have said here, only wear an 'alternate' strip when absolutely necessary. Never used to have issues with teams like Norths, Western Reds, Wests, Balmain jus to name a few. I agree that it's obv jus' a marketing ploy by either NRL itself, the clubs or both to steal more cash from families...

merch is a revenue stream and clubs will wear the away strip where they can, i.e., in away games, to give it exposure, particularly early in the season. i've got no issue with this, but if the home strip provides a greater differentiation between the two match-day clubs, then the home kit must be worn.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Not on point of clashing, just logged in to say that the Sydney Roosters looked like a pack of sad overgrown kids with a short team bus, trick or treating on Halloween in their spiderman outfits.

How embarrasing for pro footballers. At least give them the spidey man masks to wear with it.

This Year?

Immortal
Another simple thing that the stupid nrl cannot get right. Blame all the other sports that have ridiculous identity crises. Kit strip who cares!!!!