What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights to sign Beau Henry

Alex28

Coach
What I saw was a bunch of posts about how poor a defender he is, and now he's not a great runner of the ball. Two skills kinda handy in a halfback.

I'm just seeing so much negativity about him already...

RHCP

Bench
It's very rare you find a halfback who's a brilliant defender. When a big man runs at a small man out wide it's a pretty simple equation of who's going to come out on top.

I'm willing to give him a chance, or at least wait until this seasons over, before I start bagging him.

Serc

First Grade
Well as far as I'm concerned, I don't believe I've said a negative thing about him yet :) All I did was comment on what I saw Henry do today - don't forget that Mr A Johns could never run like Mullen (has done in the past)!

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Well as far as I'm concerned, I don't believe I've said a negative thing about him yet :) All I did was comment on what I saw Henry do today - don't forget that Mr A Johns could never run like Mullen (has done in the past)!

Johns actually had an excellent running game for a halfback.

Johns Magic

Referee
When Joey went to dummy half inside the opposition twenty, 9 times out of ten he crossed the line by picking his runs at defenders perfectly. His running game was brilliant.

Andrew Johns

1999:
16 linebreaks in 22 games
2000: 17 linebreaks in 23 games(1st in NRL for halfbacks)
2001: 17 linebreaks in 21 games
2002: 18 linebreaks in 22 games

His years before major injury he had an excellent running game for a halfback. Post these injuries his running game wasn't as potent but was still well and truly good enough for an NRL halfback.

Jarrod Mullen

2007: 3 linebreaks in 12 games
2008: 8 linebreaks in 21 games
2009: 11 linebreaks in 23 games
2010: 2 linebreaks in 11 games

Anyone saying that Johns didn't have as good a running game as Mullen...clearly has it the wrong way around.

And hilariously:

Scott Dureau

2008:
1 linebreak in 18 games
2009: 1 linebreak in 12 games
2010: 0 linebreaks in 8 games

I just threw that last one in for fun...

Serc

First Grade

Johns actually had an excellent running game for a halfback.

Thats why I worded it that way :) Johns did have a great running game overall because he was so strong and was brilliant at breaking through tackles (for a halfback), I was moreso referring to his lack of raw pace (which Mullen has), which would've pretty much made him perfect. Good footwork etc helped as well...and no doubt the defending players watching everyone else Johns might be passing/kicking to, instead of the man himself potentially taking on the line would've helped him a bit as well!

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Thats why I worded it that way :) Johns did have a great running game overall because he was so strong and was brilliant at breaking through tackles (for a halfback), I was moreso referring to his lack of raw pace (which Mullen has), which would've pretty much made him perfect. Good footwork etc helped as well...and no doubt the defending players watching everyone else Johns might be passing/kicking to, instead of the man himself potentially taking on the line would've helped him a bit as well!

So what exactly what was your point in comparing Johns to Mullen then, in regards to Beau Henry?

Mullo's running game could be utterly lethal if he wasn't such an instinct based player. What I mean is that he does not study his opposition very well on a proactive level, he is more reactive. Fair enough to Mullo as that is his natural game. Johns had both the proactive and reactive game plans in spades. That is why he was so great. He elevated his instinct to new levels with proactive thinking regarding his opponents weaknesses. He combined both with ease.

RABK

Referee
f**k JM, Johns was just dominant in those years. His line break / try assist stats for the same period?

Jono078

Referee
f**k JM, Johns was just dominant in those years. His line break / try assist stats for the same period?
Try assists in that time were about 1 per game.

2005 though, he got 28 from 16 games (+25 Linebreak assists).

Serc

First Grade
So what exactly what was your point in comparing Johns to Mullen then, in regards to Beau Henry?

That raw pace is not essential as a halfback.

Sorry I have a horrible and long winded way of saying things sometimes...which this time includes a somewhat poor comparison when looking back on what I said :oops:

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee

They didn't record line-break assists before 2002 but for just those years...

1999: 26 try-assists in 22 games(1st in NRL)
2000: 22 try-assists in 23 games(3rd but had a higher average per game than the two above him)
2001: 16 try-assists in 21 games
2002: 23 try-assists(2nd but again, higher average per game), 17 linebreak-assists(1st) in 22 games

He actually got better after those years:

2003: 19 try-assists, 20 linebreak-assists(1st with Brad Fittler despite playing 10 less games) in 16 games
2004: write-off
2005: 28 try-assists(3rd), 25 linebreak-assists(equal 1st) in 16 games
2006: 30 try-assists(1st, second was 26 by Orford who played 4 more games), 39 linebreak-assist(1st by an absolute mile, second was Lockyer with 23 who played 4 more games) in 22 games.

He still had it...

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
If we are going to compare young halves with halfback nicknamed Joey, it should be Joey Fulmer - because that other bloke is not a fair comparison for anyone we will ever see again.

Serc

First Grade
Stop trying to rub it in about my poor comparison roopy! :p

By the way those Johns 2005 stats are unbelieveable in a team that won the spoon (though much of his best games of course coincided with our good form for the 2nd half of the season)