What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lance Steeled for showdown with premiers..

Dragon

Coach
LANCE STEELED FOR SHOWDOWN WITH PREMIERS
15 April 2004

15420041425thompson_heritage_lg.jpg

It’s universally acknowledged that Lance Thompson is a passionate Dragon. He prides himself on playing in the ‘Red V’ with passion and determination. He has been vocal about the importance of returning to the spiritual homeland that is Oki Jubilee Stadium in Kogarah and now he is equally vocal about the importance of Sunday’s heritage match against the Penrith Panthers at WIN Stadium.

Sunday’s match will be the first time Thompson dons the scarlet strip of Illawarra as the St George Bank Dragons take on the Illawarra Steelers first ever opponent.

And the prospect excites the flame haired second rower.

“I can’t wait. I’ve never had a chance to wear it and there have been so many great players who have worn it in the past. It’s an honour,” he said.

Thompson is all for the heritage match concept which will see the original sides from Penrith’s 17-7 victory over the Steelers on February 28, 1982 return to be acknowledged.

“I think it’s a great thing for the community especially in Wollongong,” he said.

“In the jersey sense we’ve drifted away from what Illawarra stands for and I think it’s great that we come back.”

“We should do it more often in the future as well. I don’t think anyone is complaining about it, we all think it’s great.”

“We need to recognise both sides, it’s a two way street and that’s what we’re doing this weekend. I’m all for it and will continue to be in the future.”

Thompson knows the Illawarra region is a great breeding ground of rugby league talent and with 12 of the 19 players selected for the match playing juniors in the Illawarra he can sense the excitement.

“You can tell blokes like Trent Barrett and Shaun Timmins are excited, which is great,” he said.

“They both wore the jerseys many times. Getting it back might have been something we could have done a bit earlier.”

“There is a tremendous buzz about the place. It’s going to be a really tough game but its going to be a great atmosphere so I can’t wait.”

Indeed the game will be tough and after two hefty wins the critics are still yet to fully believe the Dragons are a real force. A win against the reigning Premiers will go a long way to fixing that.

“We know we have to keep performing and we’re very confident we can do that,” Thompson said.

“The Panthers have talent right across the park and we’ll have to be on our game to go with them.

Southernsaint

Staff member
"Lance Thompson - Proud to wear the Steelers strip"??

I thought it was a Dragons brand strip??

Cheers,
Ben S.

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
“We should do it more often in the future as well. I don’t think anyone is complaining about it, we all think it’s great.”

Yeah well they haven't heard you whinging b@stards have they

LOFL

Anonymous

Juniors
Officially or colloquially, the team is called "The Dragons", or "Saints" and some say, "St George".... or if you if take a deep breath, "The St George Illawarra Dragons."
No one calls them "The Steelers".

DRRRAGONS said:

Yeah well they haven't heard you whinging b@stards have they

LOFL

If they hadn't heard us then they wouldn’t have come out with this last minute story, would they now?

Dragon

Coach
Yeah, dont you know man!

The world revolves around us here at the forums.....

:roll:

Let me rephrase that for those who've gone through the South Coast schooling system and come out none the wiser:

If they hadn't heard of our complaints or of fan discontentment then they wouldn’t have come out with this last minute story, would they now?

Thats was the clear implication to be drawn from my statement. You guys would make good Evangelicals as you you take everything you read literally down to the letter.

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
It just sounds to me like everyone at the club is excited about the upcoming game and appreciate the joint venture

Please explain your proof to back up your conspiracy theory?

DRRRAGONS said:
It just sounds to me like everyone at the club is excited about the upcoming game and appreciate the joint venture

What in f**ks name are you talking about?

You think the club hasn’t heard of fan discontentment about this? You think that noone has written to them?

And gee how shocking that people who work for St GIll would be happy with the JV :shock:

Godz Illa

Coach
This 'discontent' you refer to is misguided and foolish. Frankly I'm surprised that anyone can be so pedantic and miserly about something as inconsequential as wearing a different jersey for one day. The club has said that it is a one-off, and I have no problem with that. Even if it was turned into an annual thing I wouldn't be worried.
The minute ripple discontent will be swamped by a tidal wave of goodwill from the Gong folk.

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
Denis'saints'Freak said:
DRRRAGONS said:

What in f*** name are you talking about?

You think the club hasn’t heard of fan discontentment about this? You think that noone has written to them?

And gee how shocking that people who work for St GIll would be happy with the JV :shock:

The question is what the $uck are you talking about, your pulling this all out of your @rse and have nothing to back it up.

You are saying the club are releasing this for your benefit when there is nothing to indicate that is the reason why.

You have not said one thing that indicates that this is not just an honest press release?

You're a fool.

If you cant see that this is a last minute stitch up to quell criticisms from St George fans over Mediocrity day then there's no hope for you. They brought out Timmins and Barret earlier in the week but it didn't quite to the trick so now they've wheeled Mr St George himself, Lance Thompson, to seal the deal.

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
:-({|= Believe what you want, I think your full of $hit and I know I will enjoy the Panthers game, pity you will be too busy dreaming up your little theories on the day to enjoy the football.

I see the Canary died in the mine you where born in.

Every press release has a purpose, yes? They don't just put them out for the sake of it.

So, what to you think is the specific purpose of this release?... go on rack your brains.

izzo

Juniors
Willow said:
Officially or colloquially, the team is called "The Dragons", or "Saints" and some say, "St George".... or if you if take a deep breath, "The St George Illawarra Dragons."
No one calls them "The Steelers".

I call em Illawarra and Steelers when the Dragons v Souths lol

Latest posts