What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laurie Daley now damaged goods for a NRL coaching career?

davi

Juniors
Interestingly the NSW implosion has suggested that some think Laurie Daley will find it hard to get a crack for a NRL gig. I have never really thought that state of origin neither enhanced or harmed you're chances in the NRL coaching ranks because it's a different type of coaching to the week in week out grind of NRL football. And Mal Meninga was never really a hot commodity in the NRL coaching ranks after his success with Queensland. Maybe I was wrong.

"The key positions in NSW are in disarray and the options are limited. The malaise extends well beyond the coaching box.

Laurie Daley has coached his last State of Origin game, a decision it appears he made before the series even began. At least there are alternatives.

Brad Fittler, Craig Fitzgibbon, Danny Buderus and Dean Pay are among those to garner support. Andrew Johns, the eighth Immortal, is being pushed by his co-commentators at the Nine Network.

Joey should think twice. Coaching this NSW side has an innate ability to tarnish legends. Daley walked into the role and tasted almost immediate success, winning his second series in charge.

There was talk about taking his coaching nous the NRL. Clubs were watching closely. He departs having lost three series in succession, the latest the most inexplicable.

No longer is he talked about as a future NRL coach."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/0db13e3033b02120940b1c8ba839282f

ACTPanthers

Bench
I said earlier in the Panthers forum, that Daley is in the mould of Matt Elliot - Players love him, but he won't bring the fire to push them into the finals and win it. Likable guy, shit coach.

Knightmare

Coach
Joey is a different proposition to Laurie. I can't imagine Laurie has ever put somebody on blast during his tenure as Blues coach. Joey has already put the team on blast twice from the commentary box this series...a boot up and arse and a reality check is what some of the blokes in this team need right now.

Shorty

Staff member
Still he coached them to a series win after the team lost for years and years with far more formidable coaches.
He probably deserves to be punted but it's not like he wasn't the only one that struggled.

Incorrect

Coach
I don't think he's shown any interest in coaching an NRL team.
It's all hypothetical now, but I reckon if he had delivered this years series, and things in turn started to go pear-shaped, or more pear-shaped, at the Raiders, your mob would have been sounding him out for a gig to replace Stick.... Your mob love bringing home a favourite son and giving him the clipboard!

I have a feeling he had designs on coaching at club level - and after Game 1 this year who knows what calls his manager might have fielded, the Dragons and Dogs hadn't locked in Mary and Hasler respectively at that stage had they? - but the capitulation by his team and inability to show anything to counter QLD's surge since the beginning of the 2nd half in Sydney may have provided sobering thoughts....

Perth Red

Post Whore
A Johns and fittler shared position is surely the way to go? Johns could shout at the team and make them cry and Fittlerr could tell them jokes and cheer them up. Perfect.

Feel sorry for Laurie, people underestimate just how unique this Qland spine is and how we may never ever see their like again all come through at the same time. I doubt any NSW coach would have done any better. As a neutral its been a privilege watching Slater, Thurston, Cronk and Smith grace the footy field together for all these years and we should all feel very lucky we follow the game at a time we got the chance to see arguably the best players ever in their key positions in one team.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Lol. Who in their right mind ever suggested he was cut out to be an NRL coach?

A Johns and fittler shared position is surely the way to go? Johns could shout at the team and make them cry and Fittlerr could tell them jokes and cheer them up. Perfect.

Feel sorry for Laurie, people underestimate just how unique this Qland spine is and how we may never ever see their like again all come through at the same time. I doubt any NSW coach would have done any better. As a neutral its been a privilege watching Slater, Thurston, Cronk and Smith grace the footy field together for all these years and we should all feel very lucky we follow the game at a time we got the chance to see arguably the best players ever in their key positions in one team.

Oh yes, it's been a true privilege to lose again and again and again and again. I feel so lucky to have been around to witness it. Go f**k yourself.

King hit

Coach
Origin coaches are just picked because of who they are then their coaching ability. Kevin Walters would be useless at coaching at NRL level, Meninga had an unsuccessful record, Daley wouldn't do much either. Artie's first grade coaching record is below 50% and Wayne Pearce never made a finals game in 6 years of coaching Balmain and Wests Tigers.