What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League one 2017

Evil Homer

Staff member
Bishop Burton College (Hull area)
lol

You can probably discount West Wales too, they've been saying this stuff for years. I'd be more confident about seeing a Scottish/Irish team before West Wales TBH.

Manchester should be in next year one way or another but if they're not dropping a team then they need to look at the structure, 17 teams is too much for League 1 and it also messes up the whole 8x8x8x8x8 thing.

jim_57

Staff member
lol

You can probably discount West Wales too, they've been saying this stuff for years. I'd be more confident about seeing a Scottish/Irish team before West Wales TBH.

Manchester should be in next year one way or another but if they're not dropping a team then they need to look at the structure, 17 teams is too much for League 1 and it also messes up the whole 8x8x8x8x8 thing.

Did I get the name wrong or is the idea of them bidding laughable?

I'd love to see an Irish or Scottish team but I'm not confident at all in the short term. I guess it's in the control of whoever wants to put the money in to it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah of course it would need to be a locally driven proposal. But there are certainly things the RFL could do to encourage it.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Did I get the name wrong or is the idea of them bidding laughable?
No, it's the fact that Bishop Burton College is an agricultural college in a small town about 10km north of Hull. No idea why they would be bidding to become part of the professional RL structure or why anyone would think that would be a good idea. Not saying your info is wrong re: them possibly bidding BTW, I've heard the same thing.

jim_57

Staff member
No, it's the fact that Bishop Burton College is an agricultural college in a small town about 10km north of Hull. No idea why they would be bidding to become part of the professional RL structure or why anyone would think that would be a good idea. Not saying your info is wrong re: them possibly bidding BTW, I've heard the same thing.

Fair enough, definitely an interesting one then. So I take it Manchester is the most sensible and likely bid?

What about the likes of Nottingham are they potential league one material?

I only know what I've read on forums mate and won't pretend to be an expert on who could make the step up. I'm sure some who post on here could though.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Bring back the Blackpool Panthers I say, absolute disgrace that they were kicked out, poor old Jonny Leather had to turn to Yawnion to get a game.

deluded pom?

Coach
I've not head or seen much about the Bishop Burton College interest but aren't they being pushed as a Hull feeder team? The City of Hull academy play some of their games at BBC so the link is there. They have some very good facilities at BBC.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hunslet fans said it was the worst performance they've seen from a Hemel team since they joined the league. Basing the team in Dewsbury and signing a bunch of Northern mercenaries really is one of the stupidest things I've seen from a RL club for a while, Oxford actually did a similar thing last year, training in Castleford and fielding a bunch of players from disgraced amateur club Fryston, AFAIK they are not doing that any more and performances seem to have improved somewhat.

Bump.. Barrow put 82 points on Hemel over the weekend.

Averaging 50+ losses over first 3 weeks.

adamkungl

Immortal
Luckily Hemel are using northern players or the scores would be much worse than if they were using suvverners.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

jim_57

Staff member
Toronto 80 - Crusaders 0

Pretty much a waste of a whole season for everyone involved. I just hope Toronto start using some local players and save their A-team for a big tilt at a Challenge Cup run which is about the only statement they can make this year on the field, League 1 will be a walkover.

The RFL need to treat new teams case by case, teams can either apply to League 1 or directly to Championship if their bussiness case is good enough.

roughyedspud

Coach
No they need to start in league one,we all knew they'd walk it,but it's still important to iron out any logicistcal issues.. no one have traveled to Toronto yet

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
No they need to start in league one,we all knew they'd walk it,but it's still important to iron out any logicistcal issues.. no one have traveled to Toronto yet

It's going to be interesting to see the home crowds in Canada, are the Wolfpack increasing the home crowds back in the UK?.

jim_57

Staff member

I think the cons far outwiegh the pros, but it's done now. I think there could definitely be ways to look at direct application to Championship and should be looked at.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
As spud said important season to iron out logistics. Plus a dominant team build their profile in Canada. They will take that momentum into the Championship and will probably be very competitive there too

Evil Homer

Staff member
It's going to be interesting to see the home crowds in Canada, are the Wolfpack increasing the home crowds back in the UK?.
They have increased them on some occasions, London Skolars had their club record attendance for the Wolfpack opener and the Keighley match had a bigger crowd than usual, the others have been pretty much the same as average.

Latest posts