What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's sign a half Thread

Elia_Tuqiri

Juniors
Can't read this whole thread, so sorry if I'm repeating someone.

The only reason Sandow came up in Bronco's headlights was because Bennet rated him big time. During this time the now Eels recruitment officer (or whatever his job discription is) was at the Broncos and under Benett for along time. So it makes sense that Sandow has gone to the Eels. This bloke obviously respects Wayne's calls and may have pushed it.

Yealp. Peter Nolan.
He was the one that chased hard for Gagai.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...e-schoolboy-star/story-e6frf3pc-1111117105229

Football manager Peter Nolan said the Broncos were keen to attract young Gagai to the club straight out of high school.

Brisbane, who have had their eye on Gagai for 18 months, interviewed him last month.

"He's very talented and an exceptionally level-headed young kid," said Nolan.

"He's done very good at school since BBC brought him down from Mackay."

A current member of the Queensland Reds national training squad, Gagai has not made up his mind between league and rugby.

"I've had offers from rugby and league, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do," Gagai said recently.

"I'm going to finish the rugby season and make a decision then."

Gagai has excelled as a student since joining BBC on an indigenous scholarship program during year 10.

His name heads an honour board of 200 students who've made the greatest improvements in their academic achievements this year.

"He's a lovely, good quality kid and BBC deserve a big rap for what they've done for him," said Nolan.

"We're going to do our best and hope we get him."

Dazzat

First Grade
There were some who wanted the club to stick with Tim Smith over Wallace. These punters have grown a little silent.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Wallace is fine.
He will step up when Lockyer hang up his boots.
He play his best footy when he take controls and not rely on Lockyer so much.

When does he take control ..........?

Apart from his early days with the Broncs the only time he plays well is when Lockyer is there calling the shots

Take Lockyer out of our side right now and we go from likely finalists to struggling to make the 8.

Next year all these young blokes are going to need someone to steer them round

Wallace aint it.........it's been proven.

AuDragon

Juniors
When does he take control ..........?

Apart from his early days with the Broncs the only time he plays well is when Lockyer is there calling the shots

Take Lockyer out of our side right now and we go from likely finalists to struggling to make the 8.

Next year all these young blokes are going to need someone to steer them round

Wallace aint it.........it's been proven.
The one thing you seem to conveniently forget is that when Lockyer's missing, a whole bunch of other players is also missing. Except for the final games of 2010, in which he was carrying an injury, Wallace has never had a full roster around him.
I'm sure you'll blame him again in our next game, when we'll struggle to complete a squad of 17 players after Origin selections and injuries take away 10 or 11 players of the normally starting 17... :roll:

Mr Fourex

Bench
The one thing you seem to conveniently forget is that when Lockyer's missing, a whole bunch of other players is also missing. Except for the final games of 2010, in which he was carrying an injury, Wallace has never had a full roster around him.

It's really hard to find an occurrence when Wallace is deserving of criticism to some.

It's either Lockyer is holding Wallace back.......Wallace is playing without a full roster behind him

or Wallace IS playing with a full roster

BUT is playing injured.......:roll:

Yet we hear ...don't worry he will step up when Lockyer retires at the end of the season

Is the sun and the moon and the wind and the stars expected to reach their perfect alignment next year to ensure Peter Wallace will live up to his expectations........?

Next year is looming as a huge worry if we are banking on Peter Wallace without the addition of another play maker.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
The Lockyer hangover will be enormous, regardless of who they recruit and retain. Norman will need two years in the QCup at least before he's ready. Hopefully Hunt hits his peak next to Wal in 2012 and beyond.

AuDragon

Juniors
The Lockyer hangover will be enormous, regardless of who they recruit and retain. Norman will need two years in the QCup at least before he's ready. Hopefully Hunt hits his peak next to Wal in 2012 and beyond.
Of course it will, you don't loose a player of Locky's caliber without massive headaches.

Norman has a lot of potential imo, but he needs to toughen up, especially mentally, before he can take on the 5/8's job.

Hunt is truly an unknown to me. He hasn't shown anything so far that instills any type of confidence in his ability to fill a role in the halves, but he may be a big surprise.

Macca can put a decent game here and there, but nothing will make him faster than he is now, and he is so painfully slow that hooker will never a position on the field he will excel at. I'd probably make him a utility to fill in at lock, hooker or even halves in an emergency

Baptiste on the other hand looks to be a natural and hopefully he will grab that #9 jersey with both hands, with Macca coming from the bench to give him a rest until he becomes an 80 mins player.

Wallace has been 100% better this year than last year. Together with Locky, they have been one of, if not the best halves pair in the comp. He's the least of my worries next season.

Unless we can get a Cooper, Thurston, Cronk or Foran, I would persevere with the boys above and I'm pretty sure they won't let anyone down!

Dazzat

First Grade
BUT is playing injured.......:roll:

Interesting the other night on the Footy Show when asked to name the toughest player he's ever played with Locky nominated Peter Wallace ... not Webke, not Civ, not Tallis, not Tunza ... but Peter Wallace.

Why? Because he never wants to come off and plays with injury. We can and should discount last year. From what we know, most players would not have played at all with the injury Wallace carried all year.

Wallace's biggest problem is he does brilliant things with a minimum of fuss. He lays on tries and make it look easy.

beads6

First Grade
I think having a full pre-season without Lockyer will do a world of good for the team IMO. Still be tough but I think we will be better then some think.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I think having a full pre-season without Lockyer will do a world of good for the team IMO. Still be tough but I think we will be better then some think.

My thoughts exactly. People seem to forget that every time we have played with Lockyer, we aren't exactly prepared for it. A full off season of Norman or Hunt training as the fulltime halves partner will Wallace could do them a world of good. Obviously it doesn't mean they will come out in round one and be great for the entire season. I think there will be some rough times, but if we persevere and show faith then it will come off.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
No-one is questioning Wallaces toughness, it is second to none. He brings down guys much bigger than him all the time. It his talent with the ball (or lack thereof) which has me concerned. I like Wallace as a guy, he always puts in 120%, and I'm always proud of his efforts. But watching him trying to do something creative then he ends up getting taking down with the ball gets frustrating at times.

If Baptiste can keep showing promise, maybe Macca would go well at 5/8. Wasn't that his natural position or something? Then they tried to convert him to a hooker. Hunt the utility on the bench. I dunno about Norman, his defence is real suspect and sometimes he looks lost in attack. He doesn't really have blinding speed either. Someone like Widdop is not exactly creative, but at least he has speed and is a good runner of the ball.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Interesting the other night on the Footy Show when asked to name the toughest player he's ever played with Locky nominated Peter Wallace ... not Webke, not Civ, not Tallis, not Tunza ... but Peter Wallace.

Why? Because he never wants to come off and plays with injury. We can and should discount last year. From what we know, most players would not have played at all with the injury Wallace carried all year.

Not questioning his toughness.

But he doesn't play well when injured. Some players can still manage to sustain their skill levels even with an injury

Wallace isn't one of them.

Wallace's biggest problem is he does brilliant things with a minimum of fuss. He lays on tries and make it look easy.

Brilliant?

.......just what passes for brilliance in your mind these days?

I will say I'm starting to like his short passing game.....great ball to Glenn the other night

Mr Fourex

Bench
If Baptiste can keep showing promise, maybe Macca would go well at 5/8. Wasn't that his natural position or something? Then they tried to convert him to a hooker. Hunt the utility on the bench. I dunno about Norman, his defence is real suspect and sometimes he looks lost in attack. He doesn't really have blinding speed either. Someone like Widdop is not exactly creative, but at least he has speed and is a good runner of the ball.

Mc at 5/8 would not be good. Too slow .......makes Wallace look like Michael Jennings

I reckon with the emergence of Baptiste over time ........ Mc could be destined for the scrap heap.

IBA

Juniors
Mc at 5/8 would not be good. Too slow .......makes Wallace look like Michael Jennings

I reckon with the emergence of Baptiste over time ........ Mc could be destined for the scrap heap.

Agreed. Baptiste will surely take the role full-time sooner rather than later. The speed and sharpness of the attack just looked so much nicer with him on the field. Just great momentum and space for the playmakers to move. An excellent hooker will really help with an inexperienced/slightly underpowered 5/8. That little bit of extra room and momentum does amazing things.

I think Wallace is the man for the 7, no doubt about that, I still don't know who is going in the 6... A good hooker will mean a great 1, 7 and 9 which can hopefully hold strong while a younger number 6 can really start to make the spot their own.

Latest posts