What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's sign a half Thread

diddi kong

Juniors
mmm i disagree with signing another centre, you cant buy someone just to be a stand in for hodges and reed does a good enough job, we should adress positions that need addressing

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Look unless Thurston, Cronk, K. Foran, Benji or Quade wanted to join the Broncos I'd rather persist with developing our own halves. While the likes of Maloney may prove to be better options in the short-term they have their flaws which prevent them from being a priority signing.

Our priorities should be to sign another front row forward or centre.

Well said.

I'm not all that interested in another centre though. Reed is great and the rest are good enough to fill in for Hodges for now IMO. A quality prop would be nice, unless Tronc can get back to his best.

Talanexor

Juniors
Tronc was ok for us, but he has always been a giant pillow. For a guy his size, he should be racking up 150m every game. Instead he lumbers slowly into the line and gets dominated in the tackle every time.

Also, Ashton Sims is going pretty well at the moment in Townsville. What do you guys do to front rowers down there?

DecoyRunner

Juniors
Tronc was ok for us, but he has always been a giant pillow. For a guy his size, he should be racking up 150m every game. Instead he lumbers slowly into the line and gets dominated in the tackle every time.

Also, Ashton Sims is going pretty well at the moment in Townsville. What do you guys do to front rowers down there?

Sims is doing for NQ exactly what he was doing for Brisbane.

Big Pete

Referee
Well said.

I'm not all that interested in another centre though. Reed is great and the rest are good enough to fill in for Hodges for now IMO. A quality prop would be nice, unless Tronc can get back to his best.

I can see Reed transitioning into the backrow sometime next year, he just doesn't have the speed out at centre. Copley, Beale and Whitchurch aren't reliable at this stage.

I'm not sure who's on the market but if there is somebody that we can rely on for depth purposes I'd sign them up on a short-term deal, just while Copley and Whitchurch develop.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I can see Reed transitioning into the backrow sometime next year, he just doesn't have the speed out at centre. Copley, Beale and Whitchurch aren't reliable at this stage.

I'm not sure who's on the market but if there is somebody that we can rely on for depth purposes I'd sign them up on a short-term deal, just while Copley and Whitchurch develop.

I can't see it, simply because he will only play a few games a year of first grade a year off the bench. He is going great at centre, and his speed hasn't been an issue yet. I think just for covering injuries, Beale, Copley and our back rowers are good enough to persist with. By this time next year I think they will be ready anyway so theres not much point in signing anyone. I do see your point, but I just think persisting with the youngsters (and putting up with some of their rubbish) will be worth it. Did you have anyone in mind anyway? As long as it doesn't affect the re-signing of any youngsters, or the potential signing of a prop/half which is more needed, then I wouldn't complain if we signed a small name, but solid centre. Just someone who came to my mind, but Will Chambers maybe? Hows he going in union/when does his contract end?

Big Pete

Referee
I believe Reed only has a short-term future in the centres. His speed has been an issue for me. Not in defence which he's generally been able to handle quite soudly but with the ball in hand his lack of speed holds him back from truly being a threat. He does have good foot-work but with time he'll be figured out and he'll make the transition.

Copley should hopefully step up but last week certainly doesn't fill me with confidence.

Beale to me just doesn't cut it out wide. Fingers crossed he shows me up on Friday but I can't see that happening.

One player I didn't mention was Yow Yeh who could still be an option. He certainly showed against the Storm he can handle the position defensively.

Nobody in mind, but Chambers wouldn't be a bad option. I don't watch any Rugby so I can't tell you how he's going but I recall he was a reasonable defender out there for the Storm and he'd be the type of centre I'd want. A solid centre that could sign for a short-term deal as place holder for our rookies.

I should state that the prop position is of much more importance.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I believe Reed only has a short-term future in the centres. His speed has been an issue for me. Not in defence which he's generally been able to handle quite soudly but with the ball in hand his lack of speed holds him back from truly being a threat. He does have good foot-work but with time he'll be figured out and he'll make the transition.

Copley should hopefully step up but last week certainly doesn't fill me with confidence.

Beale to me just doesn't cut it out wide. Fingers crossed he shows me up on Friday but I can't see that happening.

One player I didn't mention was Yow Yeh who could still be an option. He certainly showed against the Storm he can handle the position defensively.

Nobody in mind, but Chambers wouldn't be a bad option. I don't watch any Rugby so I can't tell you how he's going but I recall he was a reasonable defender out there for the Storm and he'd be the type of centre I'd want. A solid centre that could sign for a short-term deal as place holder for our rookies.

I should state that the prop position is of much more importance.

Yea fair enough. Agreed on Copley and Beale. Hopefully with an extended stint though Beale can adjust to centre, but so far he is best suited to fullback.

Ahh yea, I forgot about Yow Yeh. I think he would definitely be an option in the centres in a few years. He is starting to remind me more and more of Hodges. Obviously their personalities are a lot different, but I think Yow Yeh is learning a lot, and gaining a lot of confidence from playing outside Hodges. Yow Yeh's style of play and abilty just is starting to remind me of Hodgo.

Mr Fourex

Bench

Why don't you ask Petro, Webcke and Lazo ...........:D

Sims went alright for the Broncs at first as well

Then he turned to shit

Get ready for the dropped balls and the general MIA play

tick tock tick tock tick tock...........

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

Bench

I said early that Reed is a good solid player .......but he's no star

that's for sure.

But I don't mind him pairing up with Hodges.

I'm still waiting for Copely to show something special before backing him too much.

I agree another prop would be a good option .......

I still think above all else a play maker/half has to be found and Wallace has to be moved to 5/8 or hooker

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yow Yeh said on the game plan last night that he wanted to play centre down the track but said he needed to get bigger for that.

Latest posts