What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Live King Gutherson

the phantom menace

First Grade
It’s a disgrace that he has to share the captaincy with Paulo. After Gutherson calls it a day I’d give it to Penisini or Hopgood.
Penisini has yet to impress me with any potential captaincy vibes. Has been weak and uninspiring in the second half of the season.

Hopgood is the only up and comer I'd consider with a chance to take over from Gutherson/Paulo down the track.

King-Gutho94

Coach
In a disappointing year for the team, he has been a clear standout. I think 2023 has been his best season to date.
Yeah his reward was an extra 30k as well for a 3 min stint in a dead rubber Origin.

Happy for Gutho but leaves a sour taste for mine our team basically lost him for 3 mins of origin.

King-Gutho94

Coach
NRL Casualty Ward: Clint Gutherson requires surgery to repair knee

Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson must put representative dreams on hold this year, with injury ending any hopes he had of making Australia’s Pacific Championships squad.

Clint Gutherson’s end-of-season representative hopes have been cruelled with the Eels captain requiring knee surgery.

Eels coach Brad Arthur has confirmed Parramatta’s inspirational leader suffered a meniscus tear in his knee, which forced him from the field in their win over Penrith on Thursday night.

Gutherson, who was named on the NSW State of Origin bench for Origin III, would have been in the discussion to be part of Australia’s end of season Pacific Championships squad.

Surgery will force Gutherson into a rehabilitation phase that will leave him unable to commence any serious running until early December.

“It’s a meniscus, so he would have struggled to play if we had to play next week,’’ Arthur told Triple M.

Knowing Gutho, and I’ve already spoken to Gutho, he said there’s no way in the world he would miss a final.

“That’s the type of person he is. He’s just so reliable for me.

“He’s like an extra coach and an on-field coach for me, he drives our messages and doesn’t go away from the script.

“But he’s done. He’ll have an operation.

“It won’t hurt him and I know it’s unfortunate for rep opportunities, but it won’t hurt him because I tried to pull him out of parts of pre-season training this year and he wouldn’t have a bar of it.

“So this is the only way (he’ll miss some training)...he doesn’t need to prove anything with his training.

“Hopefully it will put another couple of years on his career.’’

King-Gutho94

Coach
And perhaps that game cost us a top 8 spot with RCG and MOSES also missing. All for an exhibition match.
Yeah it still angers me tbh.

Oh well it's helped Freddy basically get an extension.

I reckon deep down Billy and QLD wouldn't have minded losing that last game it's given the dopes at NSWRL an excuse to keep Freddy.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Parramatta Eels Football GIF by Julie Muir Celebrant