What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Panthers Forum Player of the Year

Fangs

Coach
Aekins 8
Mansour 6
Blake 7
DWZ 6
MWZ 6
Maloney 6
Cleary 7
Tamou 8.5
Egan 7.5
Grant 6
Kikau 8
Yeo 6
Fisher-Harris 8

Katoa 5
Martin 7
Leota 6
Campbell-Gillard 7.5 (Best game of the year for hi)

TheFrog

Coach
For those who like to give half points: The .5 is not counted. You can continue to do it though by all means and maybe if this happens next year we can have half points. But for now they are rounded down.

age.s

First Grade
Aekins 7 (solid start, stick with him)
Mansour 4 (one really good run saved it from being much worse)
Blake 7 (looked much better in space)
DWZ 6 (some good signs, defense will come with time)
MWZ 5
Maloney 7
Cleary 7
Tamou 7
Egan 7
Grant 6
Kikau 7
Yeo 6
JFH 7

Katoa 6
Martin 6
Leota 6
RCG 7

martielang

Bench
I know I’m a lone crusader on here but how can anyone give Katoa any less then a 6? Other then not having the name Egan, what errors did he make?

The 15 mins he came on prior to half time got our forwards moving forward & gave us something around the ruck. Looked a hell of a lot sharper then Egan did for that first 20 when we had a lot of ball on their line. Granted Egan lifted his game enormously when he came back on.

Bloke gets hammered regardless of his actual performance.

Last edited:

martielang

Bench
Aekins - 7
Mansour - 5
Blake - 6
DWZ - 6
MWZ - 6
Maloney - 6
Cleary - 6
Tamou - 8
Egan - 7
Grant - 5
Kikau - 7
Yeo - 6
JFH - 7

Katoa - 7
Martin - 6
Leota - 6
RCG - 7

Overall solid performance, just lack a bit of polish & timing.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Aekins 7
Mansour 5
Blake 7
DWZ 6
MWZ 6
Maloney 7
Cleary 7
Tamou 7
Egan 7
Grant 6
Kikau 8
Yeo 6
Fisher-Harris 7

Katoa 5
Martin 6
Leota 6
Campbell-Gillard 7

Abacus

Juniors
I know I’m a lone crusader on here but how can anyone give Katoa any less then a 6? Other then not having the name Egan, what errors did he make?

The 15 mins he came on prior to half time got our forwards moving forward & gave us something around the ruck. Looked a hell of a lot sharper then Egan did for that first 20 when we had a lot of ball on their line. Granted Egan lifted his game enormously when he came back on.

Bloke gets hammered regardless of his actual performance.
You sly dog. You made me go back and watch Katoa's 12.5 first half minutes again. His service was good and he generally did well as a fresh reserve. Except for Maloney's play the ball facing the Western stand, he'd have had a try assist too.

Since you raised the question of people's scoring systems, I struggle with a bloke playing 24 minutes with marginal impact getting the same score as a bloke that plays 65+ minutes in a spine role and generally played well. Best I could give Katoa would be a 5 in that he did nothing of particular note with 9 tackles at 82% efficiency (vs Egan 33 tackles at 97% efficiency).

Understand you're trying to give Katoa every opportunity, but not sure how you could argue for a 6 based on last night.

martielang

Bench
You sly dog. You made me go back and watch Katoa's 12.5 first half minutes again. His service was good and he generally did well as a fresh reserve. Except for Maloney's play the ball facing the Western stand, he'd have had a try assist too.

Since you raised the question of people's scoring systems, I struggle with a bloke playing 24 minutes with marginal impact getting the same score as a bloke that plays 65+ minutes in a spine role and generally played well. Best I could give Katoa would be a 5 in that he did nothing of particular note with 9 tackles at 82% efficiency (vs Egan 33 tackles at 97% efficiency).

Understand you're trying to give Katoa every opportunity, but not sure how you could argue for a 6 based on last night.

Don’t overlook the repeat set mate, never overlook a repeat set!

I thought Egan was going nowhere fast until he went off. First 20mins he didn’t offer much. Katoa stepped it up when he came off the bench & then Egan came back & seemed to play a lot more direct & played really well there after.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
The Tronalds

Aekins 7
Mansour 5
Blake 7
DWZ 6
MWZ 5
Maloney 7
Cleary 7
Tamou 7
Egan 7
Grant 6
Kikau 8
Yeo 7
Fisher-Harris 7

Katoa 5
Martin 6
Leota 6
Campbell-Gillard 7

Abacus

Juniors
Don’t overlook the repeat set mate, never overlook a repeat set!

I thought Egan was going nowhere fast until he went off. First 20mins he didn’t offer much. Katoa stepped it up when he came off the bench & then Egan came back & seemed to play a lot more direct & played really well there after.
Fair enough, at the ground it seemed Egan was going well - hopefully I'll get a chance to watch a replay and further contribute to any debate.

Pomoz

Bench
Aekins 7
Mansour 5
Blake 6
DWZ 5
MWZ 5
Maloney 7
Cleary 6
Tamou 8
Egan 7
Grant 6
Kikau 7
Yeo 5
Fisher-Harris 7

Katoa 6
Martin 6
Leota 6
Campbell-Gillard 6

Aekins deserves praise for an error free 245m, add that to the 300m he made on debut and that's some average for a new player. He was the standout of our slow, error prone backline.

I'm not sure Yeo is fit at the moment he is really not making an impact and his tackle efficiency is lower than usual.

Martin looks a promising player and the bench made a good contribution this week.

soc123_au

Staff member
Aekins 7
Mansour 4
Blake 6
DWZ 6
MWZ 5
Maloney 6
Cleary 6
Tamou 7
Egan 7
Grant 6
Kikau 7
Yeo 5
Fisher-Harris 7

Katoa 6
Martin 6
Leota 6
Campbell-Gillard 6

Fangs

Coach
Martie Katoa.

Not a Katoa hater, just think Egan is better. I want Katoa to succeed, he has finals and international experience. I didn't see much from him on Friday but plenty from Egan.

Panfa

Juniors
Ive always said egan is better than katoa and i rate kenny higher than katoa as well he looks very good kenny the reserve grade hooker.We dont need 2 hookers in 1st grade keep egan there have kenny as backup and try and offload katoa before june 30 i reckon.

martielang

Bench
Martie Katoa.

Not a Katoa hater, just think Egan is better. I want Katoa to succeed, he has finals and international experience. I didn't see much from him on Friday but plenty from Egan.

Decent ring to it tbh. Might need to tan up a bit but.

I have absolutely no issue with Egan being better than Katoa, nor people thinking he is. I just don't think they get judged equally. Can you imagine the uproar if Katoa went himself & was tackled last play on the opponents line with our back line set up for a play?

On the weekend, the first 20 we seemed to offer very little. Katoa came on, we tried more trick shots around the ruck & our attack improved considerably. Granted, Egan came back on & looked a different player from his first stint, had a very solid outing. Some people give Katoa a 4 & Egan a 7... GTFO.

Last edited: