What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lui pleads guilty to girlfriend assault and banned for one year by ARLC

Should Robert Lui be deregistered by the NRL?

• Total voters

nqcowboy87

Bench
apparently in a lot of domestic abuses cases the victims tend to not want to make a stand, and given shes a young girl too id say and this just speculative here, that last years case wasnt a nothing case.

and i agreed with mad unit, send slammin sam his way and being on life support well be the best outcome for him

butchmcdick

Immortal
:

they could do whatever they liked

unless he's found gulty then what has he done wrong?

last time all charges were dismissed

El that is a very black and white way to look at it. (no pun intended)

I get what you are saying but it really is a bad look for the same player to be charged for beating his missus twice in a year. Bad for the game, his club and him.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
El that is a very black and white way to look at it. (no pun intended)

I get what you are saying but it really is a bad look for the same player to be charged for beating his missus twice in a year. Bad for the game, his club and him.

you didn't answer my question

Loudstrat

Coach
I was thinking that when reading the story. So she IS related to Slamin' Sam Backo?

FMD .....Lui must have rocks in his head. :crazy:
Pfft. Third man in? Liu would be in more danger if he dated Creagh's sister.

Anyway, an assault doesnt get fixed with another assault, and another "NRL player assaults........." story would be less helpful than Heather's mask against Matai's elbow.

butchmcdick

Immortal
you didn't answer my question

I would love to answer you El but I think if I did my post would be deleted suffice to say I think being charged twice in a year with the same offence (regardless of a conviction) is bringing the game into disrepute

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I was thinking that when reading the story. So she IS related to Slamin' Sam Backo?

FMD .....Lui must have rocks in his head. :crazy:

The rocks will be outside his head if Sam Backo gets a hold of him...
If guilty, bye Lui. Molten to 7. Oh.... Damn.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Pfft. Third man in? Liu would be in more danger if he dated Creagh's sister.

Anyway, an assault doesnt get fixed with another assault, and another "NRL player assaults........." story would be less helpful than Heather's mask against Matai's elbow.

Sam, Backo variety.
Not the hardest man who ever lived, but any harder and NASA would hire Chuck Norris and Paul Gallen to hunt him for space shuttle casing.

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade
The rocks will be outside his head if Sam Backo gets a hold of him...
If guilty, bye Lui. Molten to 7. Oh.... Damn.

Moltzen wasn't the answer.

El-D, question, mate sometimes is it not worth the possible cost? We've seen it a couple of times now in both League and AFL where the clubs have thrown their hands up at the point of arrest and simply pissed the player off out of the club, regardless of what potential legal impact there may be further down the road. I'm thinking specifically of Cronulla & St Kilda here (although obviously the latter quite hypocritical in how they handle the KD affair with how Lovett was handled).

In the JVs case, this is a club that wants to sell itself in the family belt across the Sth West, would we maybe not be better off just cutting him loose and dealing with the potential consequences later?

I'm always for leaning on the side of the players, BUT this is something the club simply cant associate themselves with.

Particularly if true that his contract expires at years end, and no extension has been agreed.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Moltzen wasn't the answer.

El-D, question, mate sometimes is it not worth the possible cost? We've seen it a couple of times now in both League and AFL where the clubs have thrown their hands up at the point of arrest and simply pissed the player off out of the club, regardless of what potential legal impact there may be further down the road. I'm thinking specifically of Cronulla & St Kilda here (although obviously the latter quite hypocritical in how they handle the KD affair with how Lovett was handled).

In the JVs case, this is a club that wants to sell itself in the family belt across the Sth West, would we maybe not be better off just cutting him loose and dealing with the potential consequences later?

I'm always for leaning on the side of the players, BUT this is something the club simply cant associate themselves with.

Particularly if true that his contract expires at years end, and no extension has been agreed.

my initial response was to someone saying the NRL should deregister him permanently even if he is found not guilty

another was asking butch how he has brought the game into disrepute if he is found not guilty

clubs can sack players easily without them being found guilty. has happened a few times

it might cost them though

super_coach

First Grade
It has certainly taken a few numbers of his next contract, a good no7 is as rare as rocking horse sh.t but young Robbie is getting a bad smell in the market place and that is not a good thing when your chasing a new contract.

I would thing Todd Carney would be a more marketable commodity at present

firechild

First Grade
The problem is we are relying on a legal system that is flawed to make decisions that will have ongoing effects regarding contracts. The main flaw is that whether he assaulted her or not, if she is not willing to persue the charges and testify in court then the case gets thrown out as it did last time. Even if he comes out and publicly admits to it, if the case has been dismissed by a court then he will never be found guilty. The same happened with Inglis. Often these women can be swayed by the thought of losing their partner and his hefty income. I'm not necessarily saying that is the case here but it is one of many factors that can determine whether a guilty verdict is ever handed down.

meltiger

First Grade
my initial response was to someone saying the NRL should deregister him permanently even if he is found not guilty

another was asking butch how he has brought the game into disrepute if he is found not guilty

clubs can sack players easily without them being found guilty. has happened a few times

it might cost them though

Yeah ok, misread that second line. You are suggesting the Tifers could sue if he was deregistered?

Although maybe my point could stand with the NRL too? Drunken silliness is one thing, we all know the Tele massively over reacts but things like this? I dunno, second tine in a year the accusation has been leveled, both following almost certain drinking binges given the timing.... It just has a nasty taint mate.

Then, the club knows the situation better than any of us do.

aqua_duck

Coach
The problem is we are relying on a legal system that is flawed to make decisions that will have ongoing effects regarding contracts. The main flaw is that whether he assaulted her or not, if she is not willing to persue the charges and testify in court then the case gets thrown out as it did last time. Even if he comes out and publicly admits to it, if the case has been dismissed by a court then he will never be found guilty. The same happened with Inglis. Often these women can be swayed by the thought of losing their partner and his hefty income. I'm not necessarily saying that is the case here but it is one of many factors that can determine whether a guilty verdict is ever handed down.

Agree 100%, The fact that Inglis' dog ate my homework excuse helped him get off showed what a joke the system is