What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU's Favourite Movie - 2014 Edition

HowHigh

Coach
Damn this is harder than I thought. I could name my 30 favourite movies but actually ranking 15 is tough lol.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm glad somebody else made the 'Star Wars is not sci-fi' argument. It's closer to being fantasy than it is to being true science fiction.

Apey

Staff member
Let's be honest though BF wasn't, and quite frankly isn't capable of, making that distinction.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Oh, not at all. Hell, the Terminator series definitely does feature elements of science fiction. Artificial intelligence, robotics etc. It's not a thinking man's science fiction, but it at least asks a few questions about the morality and rationality of our current course.

And explosions.

cjrankin

Juniors
Battlefield earth is probably the best example of sci fi. As sci fi is my favorite genre, it is naturally #1 on my list.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Thanks to Red Bear and Hoggmaster for coming to the party.

Here's a fun fact: the movie that has been voted for by the most people (six) has not even made the top ten at this point.

bileduct

Coach
Thanks to Red Bear and Hoggmaster for coming to the party.

Here's a fun fact: the movie that has been voted for by the most people (six) has not even made the top ten at this point.
The scoring system is bullshit then.

The number of votes should be used to rank movies, and then use individual rankings to separate movies that are on the same number of votes.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
The scoring system is bullshit then.

The number of votes should be used to rank movies, and then use individual rankings to separate movies that are on the same number of votes.

I disagree. A movie that garners 6 votes at position #15 should not outrank a movie that garners 3 votes at position #2.

That said, I may tinker with an additional allocation of points based on number of lists mentioned in. Perhaps something as simple as a multiplier based on lists appeared in?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I disagree. A movie that garners 6 votes at position #15 should not outrank a movie that garners 3 votes at position #2.

That said, I may tinker with an additional allocation of points based on number of lists mentioned in. Perhaps something as simple as a multiplier based on lists appeared in?

Good point Misanthrope. It is your favourite movies.

Why should your most favourite movie of all time be rated the same as your 15th favourite movie?

bileduct

Coach
Good point Misanthrope. It is your favourite movies.

Why should your most favourite movie of all time be rated the same as your 15th favourite movie?
Why should one person's favourite film be equal to 15 people including it at #15?

Sure people's top two or three are going to be movies that they really enjoy above all others, but for most people I bet 4-15 could be added in any order.

In fact, I bet most people would submit an entirely different list if asked the same question six months later.

Misanthrope

Staff member
:lol:

Alright, played around with the formula so rather than a straight up total, it now multiples the total by the number of voters. Means Aliens (previously about 17th) has jumped into the top ten by virtue of appearing in six lists.

Top three remain unchanged.