What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge

Vote for next coach after Madge - possibles.

• Tooves

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Cartwright

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Furner

• Dean Pay

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Another Assistant coach from top tier club

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Taylor (Rip)- New South Wales cup best coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madge with a fair pay cut.

• Gardiner (bears)- going ok with so so side

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bradford ( super league)- uber coach

• None of the above, I will nominate my own schmukles.

• Total voters

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Its easy to say you've instilled pride in the jersey when your picking the best players in the world and in Mals case I do mean the WORLD lol.
The Kangaroos is a totally different beast to a club side. If theres players that don't perform in the green and gold Mal can just f**k them off at Souths they have contracts and theres a limit on spending. Imagine if the Kangaroos were held back by a salary cap to allow competition with the rest of the world.

That's somewhat true. We have no depth at all in the backline compared to other clubs. We are playing NSW cup players in first grade.

souths_reborn

Juniors
That's somewhat true. We have no depth at all in the backline compared to other clubs. We are playing NSW cup players in first grade.
The other thing you need to take into account is that with the salary cap its impossible to have a side that is loaded with stars 1-17. That is the whole point of the salary cap - to ensure parity between the teams and to prevent a scenario unfolding where you would have a Canberra, Brisbane and/or Manly team of the 1990s and then day light between the rest. Hence, every team is going to have weak areas of positions that aren't filled by world class players. In general, wingers and centres don't win you games of footy. In saying that, you need to be defensively sound and that is where we are lacking. Its not as bad as previous years but it needs to improve.

Curns13

Juniors
I disagree with this. Our outside back depth is not much different to most other clubs.

Our best backline is:
1, Inglis
2. Johnston
3. Gray
4. Hunt
5. Goodwin

2 weeks ago:
1. Johnston
2. Burns
3. Talakai
4. Jennings
5. Goodwin

I know Hunt is back but he is working his way back into form. Burns, Talakai and Jennings aren't supposed to be playing. Yes they are NSW Cup players and that's where they are meant to be. Johnston is an excellent winger but just about the worst fullback in the comp. This is not how our backline is meant to look. It isnt 1970 anymore, you cannot have 1st grade standard players ready to back up from the reserves. When 3 of your starting backline all go down at once of course you are going to be f**ked. But how is that different from Broncos or Cowboys?

How good would the Broncos backline look without Boyd, Roberts and Moga? Or the Cowboys without Coote, O'Neill or Linnett? We all saw how useless Mead was for the Broncs last week and the Cowboys without Coote (and Thurston obviously, although we didn't have Reyno last week and went ok) look pedestrian. It is not a depth problem, it is a side crippling injury problem.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I disagree with this. Our outside back depth is not much different to most other clubs.

Our best backline is:
1, Inglis
2. Johnston
3. Gray
4. Hunt
5. Goodwin

2 weeks ago:
1. Johnston
2. Burns
3. Talakai
4. Jennings
5. Goodwin

I know Hunt is back but he is working his way back into form. Burns, Talakai and Jennings aren't supposed to be playing. Yes they are NSW Cup players and that's where they are meant to be. Johnston is an excellent winger but just about the worst fullback in the comp. This is not how our backline is meant to look. It isnt 1970 anymore, you cannot have 1st grade standard players ready to back up from the reserves. When 3 of your starting backline all go down at once of course you are going to be f**ked. But how is that different from Broncos or Cowboys?

How good would the Broncos backline look without Boyd, Roberts and Moga? Or the Cowboys without Coote, O'Neill or Linnett? We all saw how useless Mead was for the Broncs last week and the Cowboys without Coote (and Thurston obviously, although we didn't have Reyno last week and went ok) look pedestrian. It is not a depth problem, it is a side crippling injury problem.
Hold on Curns what was that you said Manly by 20???? Geez you were a fair way off weren't you!!!!

I am a realist and I knew we'd be pumped sooner or later.

So the idea wasn't far fetched!!!!!!!!!!

Curns13

Juniors
Hold on Curns what was that you said Manly by 20???? Geez you were a fair way off weren't you!!!!

Hilarious as usual. You pick the Broncos by 30+ before you knew Reyno was out, we were the better team and lost by one. This week, with an identically named team from the week before you pick us by 4 and we lose by 36. This just proves what everyone else on this forum already knew, you have no f**kin idea what you are talking about.

Curns13

Juniors

This is the basic idea of the dribble that has been spewing from your air hole for the past 2 weeks.

"We suck, everyone is a dud! The Broncos are going to beat us by the highest score ever! Why do we have so many duds?"
"We was robbed! We should have beaten the Broncos! They aren't duds anymore! Now we should beat Manly!"
"Oh no wait, we suck again! They are all duds, I told yous all! Sack everyone!"

You are either a gymnast or a politician cuz you are the best backflipper I've ever seen. Flog!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hilarious as usual. You pick the Broncos by 30+ before you knew Reyno was out, we were the better team and lost by one. This week, with an identically named team from the week before you pick us by 4 and we lose by 36. This just proves what everyone else on this forum already knew, you have no f**kin idea what you are talking about.
You've no idea at all.

You think our best backline is up to it. I can tell you it isn't.

We've got too many NSW Cup players.

The Tigers will pump us I predict.

Rabbits20

Immortal
This is the basic idea of the dribble that has been spewing from your air hole for the past 2 weeks.

"We suck, everyone is a dud! The Broncos are going to beat us by the highest score ever! Why do we have so many duds?"
"We was robbed! We should have beaten the Broncos! They aren't duds anymore! Now we should beat Manly!"
"Oh no wait, we suck again! They are all duds, I told yous all! Sack everyone!"

You are either a gymnast or a politician cuz you are the best backflipper I've ever seen. Flog!
You don't read do you?????

In the Broncos game deficiencies were there as I posted. Try reading next time.

I said AJ, Talakai and Jennings aren't up to it and I elaborated on that. Turner was a concern for mine etc.......

It's quite clear we have too many players who wouldn't make it at other clubs. If you can't see that you are sadly in the minority of Souths supporters that are dreamers!!!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Our best backline is:
1, Inglis
2. Johnston
3. Gray
4. Hunt
5. Goodwin

2 weeks ago:
1. Johnston
2. Burns
3. Talakai
4. Jennings
5. Goodwin

You're right the frustration just gets to me. Talakai, Jennings have some of the worst defence I have ever seen.

callmack1

Staff member
You're right the frustration just gets to me. Talakai, Jennings have some of the worst defence I have ever seen.
Correct. I'm praying that Gray is back in Round 10 and I'm praying that Madge will finally see the light, put Gray at left centre and move Hunt to right centre.

Pray with me everyone.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Correct. I'm praying that Gray is back in Round 10 and I'm praying that Madge will finally see the light, put Gray at left centre and move Hunt to right centre.

Pray with me everyone.
It still won't fix up our other issues though.

anthony barham

Juniors
Fairly safe to say we are on a downward spiral under Maguire
regular season results with madge coaching
2012- 16 wins 8 losses
2013- 18 wins 6 losses
2014 - 15 wins 9 losses
2015 - 13 wins 11 losses
2016 - 9 wins 15 losses
2017 - 3 wins 6 losses
I don't believe he can arrest this slide and its time to move on .
Maybe someone could investigate a Cronk & Bellamy swap for Reynolds and Maguire

Rabbits20

Immortal
No, but at least it's a start. Better to adjust the team now than Rd20 when the season is over. That's if Madge have the balls to make changes.
Oi CAFPOW we don't have guys to put there instead of the other guys I'm talking about!!!!!!! That's the problem.

However:

Cody
AJ (time to show some heart)
Hunt
Gray
Goodwin (got to get back to getting his hands dirty with the shit work)
Sutton (can help with the kicking game and setting Cody up)
AR (not earning his pay)

Tom (looks disinterested)
Cook (why isn't he running out of dummy half???)
Turner (what a joke of a re-signing)
Rochow (just a fill in player)
Crichton
Sam

Farah (where is his consistency????)
Clark (time to go elsewhere)
Musgrove (time to go to the next level instead of going through the motions)
Cherrington (play 20-25mins like a raging bull)

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
The other thing you need to take into account is that with the salary cap its impossible to have a side that is loaded with stars 1-17. That is the whole point of the salary cap - to ensure parity between the teams and to prevent a scenario unfolding where you would have a Canberra, Brisbane and/or Manly team of the 1990s and then day light between the rest. Hence, every team is going to have weak areas of positions that aren't filled by world class players. In general, wingers and centres don't win you games of footy. In saying that, you need to be defensively sound and that is where we are lacking. Its not as bad as previous years but it needs to improve.

so what is the broncos 1-17 or the cows 1-17 or the storms 1-17 is it the same as souths 1-17 in player quality one on one from 1-17 no it aint we have a shiiiiit fugging 1-17???only aj inglis goodwin reyno cody 3burgi farah cook crichton and musgrove make the cut as a 1st grade player and the rest are fuggin duds aka nsw cup players!!!! FACTAMUNDO TRUTHAMUNDO!!!!!!!!SENSETALKINGAMUNDO!!!!fug me!!!!!.....Shadow...you can throw in sutto in my 1st grade players list but he is too long in the tooth time to retire johnny .....Shadow...

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
No, but at least it's a start. Better to adjust the team now than Rd20 when the season is over. That's if Madge have the balls to make changes.
That's the thing, he won't have the balls to change things up. It's not going to help him at all and we won't move forward much until he does.

Rabbits20

Immortal
so what is the broncos 1-17 or the cows 1-17 or the storms 1-17 is it the same as souths 1-17 in player quality one on one from 1-17 no it aint we have a shiiiiit fugging 1-17???only aj inglis goodwin reyno cody 3burgi farah cook crichton and musgrove make the cut as a 1st grade player and the rest are fuggin duds aka nsw cup players!!!! FACTAMUNDO TRUTHAMUNDO!!!!!!!!SENSETALKINGAMUNDO!!!!fug me!!!!!.....Shadow...you can throw in sutto in my 1st grade players list but he is too long in the tooth time to retire johnny .....Shadow...
Lately AJ is playing like a NSW Cup player.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Did you not see the Cowboys game on Friday night? Aside from the Cowboys spine there isn't much there in terms of world class talent. Michael Morgan got exposed as being a mediocre half who needs Thurston to take the reins in order to flourish. Its the same with the Broncos and the Storm and pretty much every other team in the competition. In particular, Craig Bellamy has earned the reputation he has because he is able to get players who aren't necessarily the most naturally gifted to play well! With regards to our team, I think we've got enough star players, its just that our squad players are young and inexperienced. I'd say that there is enough talent in our roster for us to easily make the 8.

Latest posts