What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend - Future venues?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Magic Weekend goes on all day so it couldn't be played all night. Don't see the point of moving it to Barca, it is used as a way of spreading the game and i don't believe the ESL will expand to north spain just yet.
It's not used as a way of spreading the game, it is done because cities pay millions of pounds for the RFL to allow them to host it. As a Warrington fan I would have thought you would have been aware that there is a game in Barcelona this year.

WireMan

Bench
It's not used as a way of spreading the game, it is done because cities pay millions of pounds for the RFL to allow them to host it. As a Warrington fan I would have thought you would have been aware that there is a game in Barcelona this year.

Of course i know there is a game there, but this thread is about the Magic weekend, which goes on all day, and is not a one of game we can play when it cools down a bit!!

The magic weekend was done in Wales to spread rugby leage into the area before the Celtic Crusaders were given a Franchise. Next target is a Scottish team, a second French team and maybe after that an Irish team. The ultimate aim is to create a strong international competition because thats how Rugby Union makes all its money! If England, France, Scotland and Ireland have strong teams the sport can really grow!

Whether it works is a different matter, but thats the plan! :)

Oh and Obviously the fact that cities pay money to the RFL is good and make the event possible!! :cool:

deluded pom?

Coach

If the RFL are getting millions then they are keeping quiet about it. Didn't they get £500,000 off the Welsh Tourist Board for two years?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Perth would be the best as its closer to Europe, they would get the crowds etc.

It might be closer to Europe, but its half a world away still. Besides, alot of people in Perth wouldnt have a freaking clue about the NRL, let alone the ESL.

What ever happened to the War Of Roses in England. Yorkshire vs Lancashire, still going? stopped? why?

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
It might be closer to Europe, but its half a world away still. Besides, alot of people in Perth wouldnt have a freaking clue about the NRL, let alone the ESL.

What ever happened to the War Of Roses in England. Yorkshire vs Lancashire, still going? stopped? why?
It was a pointless, tedious gimmick which nobody enjoyed.

WireMan

Bench
Yes, it was supposed to be our own origin match.

It was never going to work, and seemed to be sky sports trying to get a rivalry going because they saw the money the Aus version makes. They completely missed the point that in a game like rugby league which is already very tribal you can't just manufactor an intense rivalry. Wigan-Saints, Leeds-Bradord, Wire-Widnes are not intense because someone says it is, it just is.

Plus Lancashire already won the war of the roses, thats why the England rose is a red one!! :D

WireMan

Bench

But they are trying to create an expansion team over there? so there must be a locals who would watch it. Plus its 5 hours closer (give or take) than Sydney, there is an expat community there to watch it.

May be worth a shot, can't see it hurting for one year... :)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Aslong as it comes out of the Super Leagues pocket and nothing with the NRL unless the NRL (or ARL) have some sort of involvment. I wonder if the WARL would have permission from the ARL to allow something like this to happen? See how much the ARL and the RFL would cooperate for the good of the game.

WireMan

Bench
Aslong as it comes out of the Super Leagues pocket and nothing with the NRL unless the NRL (or ARL) have some sort of involvment. I wonder if the WARL would have permission from the ARL to allow something like this to happen? See how much the ARL and the RFL would cooperate for the good of the game.

I mean the world club championship in Perth, funded by the RFL and the ARL, or whoever funds it now. Maybe a bit from the WARL.

Just an idea to spread the game, the origin series is used in the SH and magic in the NH, and spreading the game so it gets more media than Union would be fantastic.

When its held in the UK no-one seems to care in Aus, so if its somewhere else, then its game on!! Yes the ESL team would probably get stuffed but so what, Super league fans are very loyal (we have to be) and we'll keep coming back!! (Like Wire fans going to saints every year!!) :D

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I mean the world club championship in Perth, funded by the RFL and the ARL, or whoever funds it now. Maybe a bit from the WARL.

Just an idea to spread the game, the origin series is used in the SH and magic in the NH, and spreading the game so it gets more media than Union would be fantastic.

When its held in the UK no-one seems to care in Aus, so if its somewhere else, then its game on!! Yes the ESL team would probably get stuffed but so what, Super league fans are very loyal (we have to be) and we'll keep coming back!! (Like Wire fans going to saints every year!!) :D

I dont think the WCC will be held in Aus for a while. There is more interest in England, the players get paid more and I believe that Sky Sports has a major say in the WCC so I dont think they would want to give it up either.

Also the only way it is going to create interest in Australia, let alone Perth, is if it is held 2 weeks after the Grand Final.

WireMan

Bench
But an Aussie team managed to win it this year, so the interest might go up!!

When is the grand final?

I feel it should be played when both seasons are going, so both teams are more prepared for it.

We play summer rugby, you lot winter, so both seasons run at the same time!

I feel a lot of people in Aus don't like it because an ESL team actually gives an NRL team a game and that doesn't fit in the world view of things. :D

IanG

Coach

I am aware of that yes. That's what I was refering to

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I feel a lot of people in Aus don't like it because an ESL team actually gives an NRL team a game and that doesn't fit in the world view of things. :D

An Aussie team won it in 2003, interest remained the same. A New Zealand team won the World Cup, interest as far as I know interest is still the same in NZ (although it has gone up here in Australia I believe).

I am a fan of the Super League because it gives that International feel to Rugby League. The main reason why the WCC might get more interest here now is because the SL is on free to air TV.

Oh and yes, that is why Australians arent interested in the WCC, because we lose to the SL often. By that logic, the English wouldnt care about International League over the last what is it, 30 years?

WireMan

Bench
:D Lucky for internatioal rugby league logic doesn't come into then!!

Games vs teams from the NRL are always well received over here, i don't think it brings in new fans cause most people over here have never heard of any NRL teams but for the fans its a good laugh.

Latest posts