What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend - Future venues?

druzik

Juniors
So Just thinking last night and reading a few things. Where would be good future venues to take the Magic weekend. So Obviously we have two siccessful venues already in Cardiff and Edinburgh and Necastle are rumnoured to be interested, but where else, these are some I have thought of.
* Cardiff - Done and successful
* Edinburgh - Done and Sucessful
* Newcastle - has a local team already in gatehead and "Rugby" is not an unknown there, I hear good night life and entertainment as well.
* Paris - This should help promote the sport in frances capital a bit more - Parc de Princess would be a good venue.
* Barcelona - Be interesting to see how Cats go there in a few weeks time, but I dont see why not.
* Moscow - If ViSAS can be cheaper and easier to get, why not, help the local comp along as well.
* Frankfurt - sits in the middle of Germanys "Rugby" heart and has quite a few League teams in and around there from Cologne to Karslruhe, could be a possible option to promote. Easy to get to as well.

Thoughts?

St.John

Juniors
* Barcelona - Be interesting to see how Cats go there in a few weeks time, but I dont see why not.

I'd be a little concerned about when it might be played in terms of Barca. Last time I was there it was over 40 degrees C, and I think 80 mins of rugby might possible be lethal in those conditions! :)

druzik

Juniors
I'd be a little concerned about when it might be played in terms of Barca. Last time I was there it was over 40 degrees C, and I think 80 mins of rugby might possible be lethal in those conditions! :)

For the players or Fans?

The aussies have done this in the past with their trials and split games into 20 min quarters to have drinks breaks and cool down, that would be one option.

But say this time of year... what were the temps like? If its 20 or so degrees then why not?

Still I see your point... it was just a suggestion.

druzik

Juniors
Both!

I nearly got sunstroke at Wembley watching the Catalans. My seat was right in direct sunlight for the entire game and I had no hat. :oops:

Or is that just you Poms being soft again

I was at Wembley last year, though under the roof, still it was a bloody great day... I wish we had a challenge cup in Australia.

Yeah, I can see your point.

Dublin is another potential place.

I was at Wembley last year, though under the roof, still it was a bloody great day... I wish we had a challenge cup in Australia.

I guess we had our own version once - i.e. the mid-week cups which brought in teams from outside the Sydney Premiership to compete with the Sydney clubs - until the supremacy and professionalism of the NSWRL in the 80s became such that no teams outside of it could seriously compete.

'Combined Brisbane' could compete but then the Broncos entered the NSWRL and so that was end of any non premiership side having any chance of an upset.

The best chance we have of another top-flight competition in Australia is in the 2-round pre-season cup that is being mooted for next year.

Otherwise, let's have more internationals.

druzik

Juniors
Dublin is another potential place.

I guess we had our own version once - i.e. the mid-week cups which brought in teams from outside the Sydney Premiership to compete with the Sydney clubs - until the supremacy and professionalism of the NSWRL in the 80s became such that no teams outside of it could seriously compete.

'Combined Brisbane' could compete but then the Broncos entered the NSWRL and so that was end of any non premiership side having any chance of an upset.

The best chance we have of another top-flight competition in Australia is in the 2-round pre-season cup that is being mooted for next year.

Otherwise, let's have more internationals.

Why not a knock out comp in the NSW and QLD Cup teams. Doesnt have to be NRL teams does it?

But yes, more internationals would be great.

St.John

Juniors
Why not a knock out comp in the NSW and QLD Cup teams. Doesnt have to be NRL teams does it?

But yes, more internationals would be great.

Provided a suitable schedule could be arranged, do you guys think there may be any traction in an expended World Club Challenge in non-traditional venues?

A top-3 knockout comp between SL and NRL might be good fun; I'd imagine you'd have to do it in England to get it established, but provided the SL clubs are competitive it could be a good set of events to take into regions such as country NSW / Qld / ACT who might not otherwise see many top games.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'd love the current WCC to be moved to a neutral country - it would give the game better exposure, add more of a 'world' feel and neither side would have home advantage. I can't see any downsides to moving this event to America or somewhere.

St.John

Juniors
I'd love the current WCC to be moved to a neutral country - it would give the game better exposure, add more of a 'world' feel and neither side would have home advantage. I can't see any downsides to moving this event to America or somewhere.

Money.

Assuming a 20k crowd in England, it'll make well over £350k just on gate receipts. Neither club would be happy losing that much wonga, nor would the respective governing bodies I reckon.

bender

Juniors

Actually, 'Combined Brisbane' still collected their share of Sydney Scalps after the Broncos entered the competition. At one stage, they were only one match away from a showdown with the broncos in either the semi final or grand final.

druzik

Juniors
Yes forgot abt Dublin being another venue!

As for the WCC... well if a certain amount of money was to be guaranteed, then I dont see why it cant be moved... in fact if the rumours are correct, expect to see Dubai host an emerging nations WC next year and if that is succesful, I dont see why they would not have a shot at hosting a WCC.

I'd love to see a a knockout come somewhere in the lower leagues in Aus, I think it could be done, have it televised to bring in extra revenue for the clubs and relevant federations.

bender

Juniors
Yes forgot abt Dublin being another venue!

As for the WCC... well if a certain amount of money was to be guaranteed, then I dont see why it cant be moved... in fact if the rumours are correct, expect to see Dubai host an emerging nations WC next year and if that is succesful, I dont see why they would not have a shot at hosting a WCC.

I'd love to see a a knockout come somewhere in the lower leagues in Aus, I think it could be done, have it televised to bring in extra revenue for the clubs and relevant federations.

With regards to themideweek knockout cup, i am almost certain that it would work. The last midweek cup comp actaully was getting impressive ratings when it was axed to preseason. There was a problem with clubs fielding understrength sides, but i dont see this is a problem at all. I think that if NRL teams want to do this they could. There are a number of advances in the game which suggest taht a KO cup will work much better now. they include:

1. A much bigger awareness now of local lower level clubs such as Newtown, Norths, etc. If some of the merged entities were to enter a team in the cup and get to a televised game, there would be the chance to get absolutely massive one off support.

2. PNG and NZ Domestic is no longer the only Pacific Nations. Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, could put up decent squads and local teams, Meaning that there are now potentially 5 dangerous sleepers or sides that might make a bit of a game with locals and this is something that may benefit the game in these places.

3. Places Like Victoria, WA and NT are much stronger now than they were. They could all benefit the competition a little bit.

4. The competition (from the quarter final stage) should be able to provide a lot of big games to non NRL areas - nsw & Qld Country, Perth, Adelaide, Dunedin, Wellington, Port MOresby etc. These games are much more in demand now than they were then. This would help the game spread, without taking away home games, as traditional fans may be less attracted to the areas also.

I think that this concept could definitely work, provided that it was structured correctly, with a modest goal to keep costs down as much as possible. I think that Midweek foxtel games, like every other rugby league game would be a ratings success.

druzik

Juniors
With regards to themideweek knockout cup, i am almost certain that it would work. The last midweek cup comp actaully was getting impressive ratings when it was axed to preseason. There was a problem with clubs fielding understrength sides, but i dont see this is a problem at all. I think that if NRL teams want to do this they could. There are a number of advances in the game which suggest taht a KO cup will work much better now. they include:

If stuck with just the non NRL teams I think it could work well as the old clubs and rivalries still exist.... and teams are feeders will have some NRL grade players anyway.

bender said:
1. A much bigger awareness now of local lower level clubs such as Newtown, Norths, etc. If some of the merged entities were to enter a team in the cup and get to a televised game, there would be the chance to get absolutely massive one off support.

Yes Agree, it can even be on the ABC or something... Showing people that teams like Norths and Newtown still exist and at a good level could bring back many fans.

bender said:
2. PNG and NZ Domestic is no longer the only Pacific Nations. Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, could put up decent squads and local teams, Meaning that there are now potentially 5 dangerous sleepers or sides that might make a bit of a game with locals and this is something that may benefit the game in these places.

Thsi could be tricky doe to expenses... but if they want to field teams, then why not.

bender said:
3. Places Like Victoria, WA and NT are much stronger now than they were. They could all benefit the competition a little bit.

agree wholeheartedly.

bender said:
4. The competition (from the quarter final stage) should be able to provide a lot of big games to non NRL areas - nsw & Qld Country, Perth, Adelaide, Dunedin, Wellington, Port MOresby etc. These games are much more in demand now than they were then. This would help the game spread, without taking away home games, as traditional fans may be less attracted to the areas also.

Actually if the CRL teams are included and get drawn against city teams tehy should get home ground advantage so this would happen from the get go.

bender said:
I think that this concept could definitely work, provided that it was structured correctly, with a modest goal to keep costs down as much as possible. I think that Midweek foxtel games, like every other rugby league game would be a ratings success.

This is the way I woudl do it, 6 round comp.
QLD cup 12 teams
NSW Cup 11 teams
Bundy rum cup 10 teams
CRL regional champions 7 teams
WARL, VICRL, SARL and NTRL champions included 4 teams.

this gives 44/64 places. the rest can be made up of any other teams that want to enter.

I woudl do it like the Challenge Cup and have random draws for each round as well, Non QLD and NSW cup teams get home ground advantage.
Round 1 - 64 teams
Round 2 - 32 teams
Round 3 - 16 teams
Round 4 - 8 teams / Quarter finals
Round 5 - 4 teams / Semi Finals
Round 6 - 2 teams / Final

The semi finals and final I would put on before the last two state of origin matches and make a big thing of it, neutral grounds that way too... make them real festivals of RL.

cant see why you couldnt have teams from png ect in a cup comp .
after all the challenge cup has teams from france ,ireland and russia playing in it . its all about wether the ones in charge are willing to use some of the sponsorship money the cup comp would attract to offset expences of certain teams that have big travel costs

That's a great idea, actually - though it might be expensive. You could include the Brisbane A-Grade and Bundy Cup sides... though even then I could see them getting toweled.

Another idea would be a national championship knockout -- They included Queensland teams in the SG Ball finals this year so why not extend the idea to the semi-pro open competitions... an end of season knockout to determine the best second tier team in the country.

Last edited:
Actually, 'Combined Brisbane' still collected their share of Sydney Scalps after the Broncos entered the competition. At one stage, they were only one match away from a showdown with the broncos in either the semi final or grand final.

No, they didn't. They were a spent force as soon as the Broncos entered.

The only two years Combined Brisbane played in the Cup with the Broncos (i.e. 1988 and 1989) they lost both times they played a NSWRL side - St George in 1988 and Newcastle in 1989. The only teams they beat were Port Moresby and NSW Country.

IanG

Coach

Now that would've been interesting.

Also as far as the Barcelona game. You'd assume they'd play it at Night. Plus use the rule introduced in the NRL for the 2000 Season. Where the first break in play closest to the 20 minute mark, they stop the clock and have a drinks break and extend half time to 15 minutes.

WireMan

Bench
Magic Weekend goes on all day so it couldn't be played all night. Don't see the point of moving it to Barca, it is used as a way of spreading the game and i don't believe the ESL will expand to north spain just yet.

There is a History of Rugby leage in the south of France so Catalans was a good idea, Rugby league is better than Union so South Wales was a good idea, our wonderfully useless sports media are all based in London and there is a History of league so keeping Harlequins was a good idea.

We need them to grow, and more young talent to come through before we expand further, so the Magic weekend may as well stay in Scotland. Its neutral enough without been to far or expensive so it can get the crowds, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Russia, are all to far to make it work.

As for WCC, the problem with going to a neutral country is the money involved. They could use it like the magic weekend to promote the game. London or the midlands over here, Perth or Adelaide over in Aus.

Perth would be the best as its closer to Europe, they would get the crowds etc.

Latest posts