What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maitua's plan to lure SBW to Eels

caylo

Bench
Maloney's a great runner, he never stops and he can kick goals, but Roberts has a better general kicking game and better defence. I reckon, anyway.

And the way we're going to use Roberts (second fiddle) means he'll be allowed to chance his hand and make mistakes.

I agree with this but short of arguing I think they would both fit in pretty well and play a Hornby type role (more subdued halves partner). They both have their advantages and if Roberts does well next year then getting someone like Mahoney may be redundant. If Mortz can be offloaded that money may be better spent in other department.

Next year though we may loss Shak, Poore (if he stays on it will have to be for a lot less) and Mortimer which would free up a fair bit of cash without heavily effecting the make up of the team (although that may effect depth). In this case we may be better off targeting a top notch hooker or wide running backrower if players like OHanlan, Horo or Lasalo don't develop.

Suitman

Post Whore
I agree with this but short of arguing I think they would both fit in pretty well and play a Hornby type role (more subdued halves partner). They both have their advantages and if Roberts does well next year then getting someone like Mahoney may be redundant. If Mortz can be offloaded that money may be better spent in other department.

Next year though we may loss Shak, Poore (if he stays on it will have to be for a lot less) and Mortimer which would free up a fair bit of cash without heavily effecting the make up of the team (although that may effect depth). In this case we may be better off targeting a top notch hooker or wide running backrower if players like OHanlan, Horo or Lasalo don't develop.

By next year I'm guessing we're going to have to pay these blokes more.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
OHanlan and Horo probably, Lasalo not to sure.

Given the amount of first grade he's seen this year and his contract was extended late in the season I'd say it's almost certain Lasalo will be getting a hefty pay rise next season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lasalo's more likely to improve than Horo - for starters he's younger, and his faults are due to bad decision making, and not turning up every now and then.

I can't see Horo improving too much. He is what he is; an edge forward who attacks very well, but has ordinary defence.

koal4e

Juniors
:lol::lol: you said pert :lol::lol: BOOBS!

LMAO how old are you.....made me laugh though!

450px-And_shes_very_Intelligent%2C_too_%285505844%29.jpg

natheel

Coach
I think lasalo will excel next year. Horo is hot and cold anyway so not expecting much to change from him

lingard

Coach
If Sonny Bill Williams did come to Parra, I`d have him in the centres. BUT he would be way too expensive AND he was injury-prone (in league). Don`t forget that the elite level union stars don`t play as many games as their league counterparts. There`s none of this high-intensity, week-in, week-out stuff. I reckon he`d be injury-prone again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
unless he takes a pretty big pay cut i think he would be too rich for our blood

It's funny, isn't it? I think as far as bringing in the cash through exposure, SBW is worth an absolute mint to the NRL. He'd be worth a lot more to them than he would cost.

But as far as clubs trying to fit him under the salary cap, he's worth nowhere near as much to those clubs as he'd be asking. He'd be such a waste of cap space.

What's the NRL to do? They need him but no club would be willing to spend a quarter of their cap on SBW. Maybe with the new tv deal it will sort itself out and the top players can all earn $1 million+

I wonder if there would be much of an effect on morale and group identity when the top player in the squad is on a million bucks or more, and the guys at the bottom are getting $75k. I guess it couldn't be much different from the current set-up with the top guys on $600k+ and the peons on $55k.

What do you guys reckon, would it piss you off if a teammate was getting ten times what you're on?

It's funny, isn't it? I think as far as bringing in the cash through exposure, SBW is worth an absolute mint to the NRL. He'd be worth a lot more to them than he would cost.

But as far as clubs trying to fit him under the salary cap, he's worth nowhere near as much to those clubs as he'd be asking. He'd be such a waste of cap space.

What's the NRL to do? They need him but no club would be willing to spend a quarter of their cap on SBW. Maybe with the new tv deal it will sort itself out and the top players can all earn $1 million+

I wonder if there would be much of an effect on morale and group identity when the top player in the squad is on a million bucks or more, and the guys at the bottom are getting $75k. I guess it couldn't be much different from the current set-up with the top guys on $600k+ and the peons on $55k.

What do you guys reckon, would it piss you off if a teammate was getting ten times what you're on?
this sounds just like the karmichael hunt afl saga in reverse :lol:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
this sounds just like the karmichael hunt afl saga in reverse :lol:

That's what I was thinking while I wrote it.

The difference is, SBW would be an elite player the minute he came back to league. Karmichael Hunt will never be a top AFL player - he's all marketing gimmick.

Eels Dude

Coach
Agree with Poupou. He'd command a fortune and with the salary cap that would mean him coming here would weaken the rest of the squad and we'd have to lose a lot of players to accomodate him and it's not wort it because

a) He's just a backrower
b) He's injury prone
c) He walked out on his last club so there's the risk he'll do it again, and
d) He'll bring the Mundine, Nasser camp with him and I wouldn't want any of them associated with our club.

d) He'll bring the Mundine, Nasser camp with him and I wouldn't want any of them associated with our club.
the ryan tandy case is still going through the courts if nasser is found to be involved he might be forbidden from associating with our club....or any other one

TheParraboy

Staff member
Agree with Poupou. He'd command a fortune and with the salary cap that would mean him coming here would weaken the rest of the squad and we'd have to lose a lot of players to accomodate him and it's not wort it because

a) He's just a backrower
b) He's injury prone
c) He walked out on his last club so there's the risk he'll do it again, and
d) He'll bring the Mundine, Nasser camp withhim and I wouldn't want any of them associated with our club.

and also Danny Weilder :D

Eels Dude

Coach
the ryan tandy case is still going through the courts if nasser is found to be involved he might be forbidden from associating with our club....or any other one

What Stagger said was right that's Ayoub not Nasser... though I didn't think Khoder Nasser was an accredited agent with the NRL anyway.

Hopefully our club realises it's best not to deal with him. They should have learned from the Quade Cooper affair. If they haven't I'd be worried about where our club is headed.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

This is why I'm a fan of centralised contracts where the governing body pays like a base salary to play in the NRL and clubs can spend what ever they like. A guy like Lockyer, Thurston and Smith :sarcasm: should be earning more.