What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mal Meninga Supercoach or Myth ?

juro

Bench
His talents would be wasted as an NRL coach. Time for him to get back into politics.

Timbo

Staff member
As someone whose club was once coached by Mal, I'd say he's no supercoach.

Club legend but I wouldn't want him back.

Billythekid

First Grade
Every year we hear about how this is the best squad of players QLD has ever had. They would be winning even without a coach, hell it's a miracle that NSW has come as close as they have each year.

davi

Juniors
Interesting Mal Meninga has said recently that he would never become a club coach again. He would certainly would not have short line of suitors from his success with Queensland to give him a chance.

I remember him doing OK with his time at the Raiders 1997 - 2001. He inherited a pretty good side, but Meninga suggests he's not interested in being a club coach again but would like to have a role to oversee the Football operations department.

"Meninga against his old sparring partner Wayne Bennett would be a promoter’s dream in the Brisbane market. Bigger than Sydney FC v the Wanderers or GWS v the Swans.

“I love the game so I’d be interested in any role,” Meninga said. “I’d never go back to club coaching, not for a million dollars.

“I like what I’ve got know, it’s less stressful and it allows me more time to be with my young family.

“Maybe in a club role like Gus (Gould) where he oversees the football department … something like that would be appealing.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/cbc234c6a76592bedf27772cc2dea60e

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
I think anyone could coach a team of superstars like he has done with Queensland and Australia and win with it. His full time gig in the NRL wasn't successful, it wasn't Lewis or Langmack bad but it wasn't to good. I highly doubt Mal has made a player.

Good to see him putting his family first in the article above though

Latest posts