What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marketing and promotion

playdaball

Bench
The RLWC will start sonn and zero interest here in NZ. Many fans are over RL due to the Warriors bad season and having a clown such as Kidwell coaching the Kiwis. Its a real shame but I fear we''ll see some low turn outs.

Coastbloke

Bench
I really do fear for this World Cup. After the feel good NZ victory in 2008 and the success of 2013, I'm worried this will be as bad as 2000.. :confused:

Channel 7 will need to ramp up it's promotion and the organising people need a firecracker up their backsides.

The Sunday Tele has no mention today of the WC but they DO have a 2 page article on saving NSW in the 2018 Origin series ffs. Not surprising though. The League journos in that rag are NRL fans and Origin fans but are far from true rugby league fans..

Unfortunately this WC had so much potential but it doesn't bode well. Hope I'm wrong.. :confused::confused:

Burns

First Grade
PNG Pool games, by my calculations would have sold just shy of 30,000 tickets since going on sale on Thursday. The capacity is capped at 15,000 - the opening games has the North, South sections sold out and around 5,000 remaining between the Eastern and Western stands.

This is fantastic news.

morningstar

Juniors
PNG Pool games, by my calculations would have sold just shy of 30,000 tickets since going on sale on Thursday. The capacity is capped at 15,000 - the opening games has the North, South sections sold out and around 5,000 remaining between the Eastern and Western stands.

This is fantastic news.

Seems you are on the money Burns, announcing three sell outs will be good for promotion...

Billythekid

First Grade
The RLWC will start sonn and zero interest here in NZ. Many fans are over RL due to the Warriors bad season and having a clown such as Kidwell coaching the Kiwis. Its a real shame but I fear we''ll see some low turn outs.

Will start soon? The regular NRL season is still going and we have the finals yet. Interest won't really ramp up until after that. I agree though that I worry about the performance of NZ and if the fans will show up. Time will tell I guess.

I really do fear for this World Cup. After the feel good NZ victory in 2008 and the success of 2013, I'm worried this will be as bad as 2000.. :confused:

Channel 7 will need to ramp up it's promotion and the organising people need a firecracker up their backsides.

The Sunday Tele has no mention today of the WC but they DO have a 2 page article on saving NSW in the 2018 Origin series ffs. Not surprising though. The League journos in that rag are NRL fans and Origin fans but are far from true rugby league fans..

Unfortunately this WC had so much potential but it doesn't bode well. Hope I'm wrong.. :confused::confused:

I've had this concern since they announced the draw. Hopefully it all turns out great and makes a lot of money. I'm not feeling super confident but time will tell.

This is fantastic news.

I feel like this was always going to happen even if the capacity was increased. It's going to be the big positive story of this work Cup. Hopefully this good news story helps bring attention to the whole World Cup.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
I thought the PNG games were going to have a capacity of 25,000 per game???

if they have already sold 30,000 of 45,000 for 3 games, what chance they bring in temp seating for 25,000-strong crowds ??

adamkungl

Immortal
I've had this concern since they announced the draw. Hopefully it all turns out great and makes a lot of money. I'm not feeling super confident but time will tell.

But but it's better to play double headers in cow paddocks in the back of nowhere if the government throws cash at you than to risk playing in front of big crowds in big cities :rolleyes:

Burns

First Grade
I thought the PNG games were going to have a capacity of 25,000 per game???

if they have already sold 30,000 of 45,000 for 3 games, what chance they bring in temp seating for 25,000-strong crowds ??
I had same understanding but I reached out to Brad Walters (former journo, but now working for the RLWC) and he said it would be 15,000. Did mention that they expect the surrounding area of the stadium to be packed full of people. Maybe they will put screens up?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think the main thing that this WC has done is guarantee cash up front which will ensure that a loss won't be made and profits can flow into the RLIF coffers which is why I'm not too concerned. Regarding the crowds and entertainment value, it may be a little flat but as long as the RLIF continue to grow finanically we will be in a position to put on many entertaining and competitive world cups in the future. It is encouraging to see that we are getting more savy at hosting events and attracting Government and corporate $$$. I especially love to see that the RLIF (or organisers?) have a portfolio of tournament partners.

Stallion

First Grade
I think the main thing that this WC has done is guarantee cash up front which will ensure that a loss won't be made and profits can flow into the RLIF coffers which is why I'm not too concerned. Regarding the crowds and entertainment value, it may be a little flat but as long as the RLIF continue to grow finanically we will be in a position to put on many entertaining and competitive world cups in the future. It is encouraging to see that we are getting more savy at hosting events and attracting Government and corporate $$$. I especially love to see that the RLIF (or organisers?) have a portfolio of tournament partners.

It would be nice to think that countries around the world recognise rugby league as a separate sport to rugby union. This believe it or not has negated government funding access for the code of rugby league in many nations. One of them being Canada only recently. Their are many more governments knocking back recognition of rugby league. I mentioned this to a soccer fan and he shook his head in disgust. A human rights issue relating to the ability to form an association with freedom and rights is at play here and this great game plods along with such barriers?

DC_fan

Coach
It would be nice to think that countries around the world recognise rugby league as a separate sport to rugby union. This believe it or not has negated government funding access for the code of rugby league in many nations. One of them being Canada only recently. Their are many more governments knocking back recognition of rugby league. I mentioned this to a soccer fan and he shook his head in disgust. A human rights issue relating to the ability to form an association with freedom and rights is at play here and this great game plods along with such barriers?

While ever the word 'Rugby' appears in both codes name, that problem will always exist.

I would not refer to rugby league not being able to be played a human rights issue

Stallion

First Grade
While ever the word 'Rugby' appears in both codes name, that problem will always exist.

I would not refer to rugby league not being able to be played a human rights issue

It seems that in Australia their is no real issue? Both sports are given latitude? I would think it the problem of simple definition and clarification? Something a modern and intelligent government or nation can do? Your "rugby" excuse is a cop out! It is possible! Australia and other countries are the example of rugby league having decent recognition.

adamkungl

Immortal

I understand the logic but I don't agree with it. I won't write an essay, the arguments been had on here time and time again, but the World Cup is meant to be the shining showpiece of the game.
But in short, I think it was a mistake to sacrifice some big city glitz (and some risk) for guaranteed cash.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Massive billboard out the front of Brisbane domestic airport, it's something :grin:.

Great news about png, should be a great atmosphere around the stadium.

This World Cup has already insured it won't run at a loss , but it would be nice to get some decent crowds, hopefully ticket sales increase. Nz worries me.

latingringo101

Juniors
The reason FIFA and Union World cups are successful is because countries bid and promise to promote the game and tournament for the international federation.

I'd rather see who's actually willing to help sell out a match rather than simply gift it to cities.

DC_fan

Coach
It seems that in Australia their is no real issue? Both sports are given latitude? I would think it the problem of simple definition and clarification? Something a modern and intelligent government or nation can do? Your "rugby" excuse is a cop out! It is possible! Australia and other countries are the example of rugby league having decent recognition.

It is not up to a government to educate the people on the difference between the two rugby codes. Your suggestion sounds a little authoritatiion to me.

Stallion

First Grade
It is not up to a government to educate the people on the difference between the two rugby codes. Your suggestion sounds a little authoritatiion to me.

So Australian governments are authoritarian as they have no issue in recognizing rugby league as different to rugby union? A few other Democratic nations are fine with recognising rugby league and union? I would suggest your standpoint reeks of the bigotry that can be linked to the ways and means by which the code of rugby union has been using its influence to limit rugby league's growth in many places around the world.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
So Australian governments are authoritarian as they have no issue in recognizing rugby league as different to rugby union? A few other Democratic nations are fine with recognising rugby league and union? I would suggest your standpoint reeks of the bigotry that can be linked to the ways and means by which the code of rugby union has been using its influence to limit rugby league's growth in many places around the world.

you are so funny c u

Stallion

First Grade
you are so funny c u
Couldnt answer the question dc fan? So u use ridicule to deflect a very telling and accurate point? Be ashamed that u claim to be a rugby league fan!? Clearly u are not and if u are, the game doesnt need your type of "support' if thats what u think u are providing. You couldnt come back from the fact Australia has no issues with recognising rugby league as distinct from rugby union. So u bag me instead! Pathetic!

Last edited:

Latest posts