What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match 2: Aust v Eng t20 tri-series at Hobart Feb 7, 2018

JJ

Immortal
Will be interesting I still think 20/20 is a lottery but you've done a great job in your selection

Players like Smith and Williamson aren't really suited, of course they are fine at it but in reality it's not their thing

I reckon Aust 2/2 and look like winners ATM as our selectors have their heads up their arses, will be interesting to see how the Poms go though

TheParraboy

Staff member
We certainly for a long time, maybe ever, have picked a decent t20 side,all in form 1-7 (other than Warner) then you have 4 bowlers who can peg things back (Zampa aside). That doesn't include Haze, Cummns or Starc

we are still ranked no7 in this format. IF (big if) we beat the poms tomorrow night and again on Saturday night we go to 4th, they will take 7th spot (they are currently in 4th)

happy days

ANTiLAG

First Grade
David Willey or Tom Curran?

Twiz has no real idea who the poms will pick nor in what batting order. He is trying to mock me for a comment about odi in a t20 context. Like England is the first team to pick a number 8 who is a useful bat in world cricket in any format.

Hey Twiz - which number 8 hit 24 runs off the last over to win the last World t20 final with 34 runs off 10 balls?

Hint: he hit 4 6s off the first 4 balls. And it wasn't Chris Jordan with 12(13) despite David Willey's late rally at 9 with 21(16), England lost the match. Willey had a very good day with the ball too by the way.

But hey - tell me more about how bowling allrounders at 8 are unable to turn a match with the bat. It isn't my fault Faulkner stopped performing for Straya with the bat as "the Finisher" and his slower balls became only a tad more effective than using gib clouts to nail a custard to a wall.

Maybe if Faulkner returns to form in internationals, Strayans will see the opposing argument. Until then at least up your game in the insults of me department. Cos right now - one person says '#8 bat' or 'sabermetrics' and people are laughing and pressing 'like' as though its the equivalent in hilarity levels as being in the crowd at an Eddie Murphy in red leather special.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Game on

Aussies to pelt the poor poms

Can’t wait

Who is fired up, kinda like an Eels game playing the dirty storm

TheParraboy

Staff member
Twiz has no real idea who the poms will pick nor in what batting order. He is trying to mock me for a comment about odi in a t20 context. Like England is the first team to pick a number 8 who is a useful bat in world cricket in any format.

Hey Twiz - which number 8 hit 24 runs off the last over to win the last World t20 final with 34 runs off 10 balls?

Hint: he hit 4 6s off the first 4 balls. And it wasn't Chris Jordan with 12(13) despite David Willey's late rally at 9 with 21(16), England lost the match. Willey had a very good day with the ball too by the way.

But hey - tell me more about how bowling allrounders at 8 are unable to turn a match with the bat. It isn't my fault Faulkner stopped performing for Straya with the bat as "the Finisher" and his slower balls became only a tad more effective than using gib clouts to nail a custard to a wall.

Maybe if Faulkner returns to form in internationals, Strayans will see the opposing argument. Until then at least up your game in the insults of me department. Cos right now - one person says '#8 bat' or 'sabermetrics' and people are laughing and pressing 'like' as though its the equivalent in hilarity levels as being in the crowd at an Eddie Murphy in red leather special.

Mate

I like a lot of your posts ( I reckon may others do to) a lot of them make sense however you seem compulsed to have the last word with anyone who replies or doesn’t agree or doesn’t have an answer.

Sabermetics and no8 bat does give people a giggle. See it and Take it as a compliment not an insult, no other way. Cause you are 100 percent on the money. Do you think bay 13 chanting “Hadlee is a wanker” is cause he was a crap player and couldn’t bowl??

btw that last in the t20 World Cup. Do you think the poms will ever use the same bloke again for the final over ( court hearing pending) :grinning:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If mr sabermetrics knew anything about cricket he'd know that the number 8 spot faces very few balls in the shortened versions of the game. If your 8 is scoring runs you're more likely to be losing games rather than winning them.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If mr sabermetrics knew anything about cricket he'd know that the number 8 spot faces very few balls in the shortened versions of the game. If your 8 is scoring runs you're more likely to be losing games rather than winning them.
Oooooooh massive diatribe coming your way AG.

Making fun of Sabermetrics and the number 8 spot that’s a paddling!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yep, bend over and spread cheeks, ready for a massive overdose of statistics coming right achya

TheParraboy

Staff member
Looks like poms doing a lot of behind the scenes work on Billy

Wonder if they will attack him?

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/bill...s-dawid-malan-australia-t20-hobart/2018-02-05

England are hurriedly trying to come up with a plan to try and cut towering Australia paceman Billy Stanlake down to size ahead of their T20 international in Hobart on Wednesday.

Stanlake is already in the history books as Australia's tallest-ever cricketer – at 204cm – but he's now letting his bowling do the talking.

He now has England in his sights in Hobart and batsman Dawid Malan admitted the 23-year-old's impact had not gone unnoticed.

"You can't really miss him, he's a tall bloke," said Malan.

"He looks a fantastic bowler, swings it when he pitches it up and bowls at good pace. I think he is going to be a challenge, but that's the excitement of playing international cricket, you get to come up against guys like that.

"For us it's about trying to put him off his game and finding ways to score off him. He might bowl exceptionally but eventually someone might get hold of him and people might work things out."

Stanlake's height and release point can make him hard to judge and the Kiwis struggled to combat his pace and bounce in Sydney.

Malan spent longer than anyone in the nets on Monday but is also aware of the role technology can play in getting up to speed with new faces.

"No matter who you play against you do your preparation and everything is on offer for us," he said.

"The analyst gives out the iPads with all their bowling actions and their slower balls on. You'll listen to the analysts, watch the footage and try to find out a way to go about him.

"It's about finding little cues...how they bowl their slower balls, what they do under pressure. There's always something you can pick up."

Jason Roy (back), Liam Plunkett and Chris Jordan (both hamstring) all took part in nets as they look to shrug off fitness doubts. Alex Hales is likely to be fit after hurting his hand dropping a catch in the final ODI at Perth.

Bazal

Post Whore
it all makes sense now

The analyst is Antilag :D

Nah. It's three thousand words too short and far too well written.

As for the game, I think their quellers are too qualified and will be too good for us in the end.

JJ

Immortal
Will be interesting I think Straya has picked a very good side, really don't need or want Finch or Smith, and not really a great need for the three quicks

Poms are good though