What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Warriors @ Mt Smart Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Warriors v Knights

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johns Magic

Referee
They are entitled to(particularly in their own forum) but Warriors fans really not giving us a chance at all in this one.

The main thing we need to have fixed is our edge defence.

K-Man

Bench
They are entitled to(particularly in their own forum) but Warriors fans really not giving us a chance at all in this one.

The main thing we need to have fixed is our edge defence.

I think it's fair to say that most fans of other teams wouldn't know much about the specifics of why the balance of the team looks better than it did last season. On the surface it's just a bunch of experience OUT (Korbin, Smith, Rochow, Mullen) and a few players in (Buhrer, Sio, Starling).

But my (possibly delusional) enthusiasm stems from how many individuals you could consider a big chance of improving significantly if you pay closer attention than just our wins and losses from 2016.

I wouldn't expect many non Knights fans to notice, but for me there's upside / improvement in Phythian at fullback, Sio, Ross at centre in attack full-time, Gagai looking strong, Lamb on potential, Hodkinson hopefully (still not convinced), Sione is fit and looks fantastic in the forwards, everything Buhrer, Barnett in the middle, Saifitis another pre-season behind them, Levi so far on trial form could really kick on, etc.

I think it's a far better side than it appears from the outside. That said, yes the edge defence is still a massive question mark, as is the spine to be fair. Virtually 3 rookies and Hodko in key positions doesn't scream quality, so we have to hope Phythian, Lamb and Levi can lift.

I expect Warriors to win a hard fought match, probably through a few touches of class from their spine that we won't have. I'll be pretty disappointed if we get dominated from start to finish like everyone else expects us to.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
We are in a similar position the Tigers were in a few years back when Teddy, Brooks and Moses all came through at around the same time. Young guys who most fans had little idea about and were written off as a force cause they were rookies.

Im not saying we are going to get any SOO reps out of our 3 young guys but i do think they will shape into very good firstgraders who can hold their own.

I know it was a trial but the edge guys were great in our Canberra trial. 0 points let in from anywhere, especially our 3/4 line is not an insignificant thing

Honestly, im fine with everyone writing us off as spooners again. Means we will catch plenty by surprise.

slotmachine

First Grade
Yeah and the tigers finished 13th, 15th and 9th the last three years.

The cuzzy bros will win but it won't be by 40 like last year.

Johns Magic

Referee
I reckon no matter what the experts say about positional match-ups, this game we will have too much heart, too much soul for the Warriors.

Knights by 16.

Apey

Staff member
Wish I had that confidence. Warriors by 16 more likely for me.

perverse

Referee
I reckon no matter what the experts say about positional match-ups, this game we will have too much heart, too much soul for the Warriors.

Knights by 16.
Haha someone threw down a lobster. Maybe even a pineapple. Fingers crossed mate. The Warriors have a fair bit to play for too.

I reckon we will try a bit expansive play. Edge running and going out wide. Seems possible Ross might even rove over to the right at times.
We'll need to match their fwds with defence up the middle.
If we get stuck into it and have a go without head dropping I'll be ok. If we play entertaining footy I'll be happier.

perverse

Referee
I reckon we will try a bit expansive play. Edge running and going out wide. Seems possible Ross might even rove over to the right at times.
We'll need to match their fwds with defence up the middle.
If we get stuck into it and have a go without head dropping I'll be ok. If we play entertaining footy I'll be happier.
If we play like we did in the trial, we won't mind moving the ball. We also won't mind taking it up the guts. I was very impressed with our trial, even taking that it's a trial into consideration. More than anything I just want to see us hungry on the weekend. We've heard all this talk about the eagerness of the squad and only getting blokes who want to be here - if I can see that on the field then I'll be happy enough that we're headed in the right direction.

Spot On

Coach
Some confidence being shown in here.

I dont get it - how can Newcastle win without Jarrod Mullen????

Burwood

Bench
I picked every away team this round, with the exception of Newcastle- they burned me too many times last season. It is a tough game to pick though- the Warriors can't win in the opening round, and Newcastle can't win in general.

Knight76

Juniors
If we play like we did in the trial, we won't mind moving the ball. We also won't mind taking it up the guts. I was very impressed with our trial, even taking that it's a trial into consideration. More than anything I just want to see us hungry on the weekend. We've heard all this talk about the eagerness of the squad and only getting blokes who want to be here - if I can see that on the field then I'll be happy enough that we're headed in the right direction.

If we play like we did in the trial we win the game. I think we are likely to be fitter across the park than they are for this game.