What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 10 vs Newcastle @ Scully Park, Tamworth / Kamilaroi

Who will win? Round 10: Wests Tigers v Newcastle

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fordy20

Juniors
That make sense. I'm definitely against carrying a hooker on the bench if Benji's going to make Api play 80 every week. Our outside back depth is garbage. Glad we signed Turuva, but we're going to need more than him.

Tiger Ted

Bench
That make sense. I'm definitely against carrying a hooker on the bench if Benji's going to make Api play 80 every week. Our outside back depth is garbage. Glad we signed Turuva, but we're going to need more than him.
We need another 3 Turuva’s

gordsy

Juniors
I’m not convinced Turuva is a good buy. Fingers crossed. He’s exciting but he is playing off the back of a dominant team.
Exactly, We need more Tom Hazleton type players. No fuss or ego and just loves and expects to do the dirty work. Give me 17 of him and we would be top 5 tomorrow.

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm not too bummed out about where we're at ...it's mostly individual errors and not attitude rot within the squad...there was more of an improvement in Sullivan than I thought possible so maybe someone can get through to Naden as well...or not..who knows. Next year I'd really like to see Bulla at right centre and Turuva at FB

Nutz

Bench
I'm not too bummed out about where we're at ...it's mostly individual errors and not attitude rot within the squad...there was more of an improvement in Sullivan than I thought possible so maybe someone can get through to Naden as well...or not..who knows. Next year I'd really like to see Bulla at right centre and Turuva at FB
Das Bula is a fullback. He's only a baby but we have to persevere with him to give him game experience.
Having said that, if with 4 rds to go we could experiment and shuffle but right now its f/b for me.
The thing is, if someone does replace him at f/b in an experiment, who is it?
To'a has played there but it looks like he's done his hamstring.
Whoever it is it must be worth it in the future eg. If we don't have a fullback thru injury.
Heath Mason? Not for me. I've been watching him closely and he doesn't strike me as an NRL player, just my opinion but lately my assessments have been sus :)
Lobb...I rate the guy but he's not quick off the mark which a fullback needs to be especially backing up a break through the middle.
Gabriel and Tavana..na
Solomon Alaimalo... He has played f/b in union which is why he's good under the high ball and is an open field runner. Still nursing a knee injury and is only signed for this year...I think he's done??
Staines, yes but he's a winger through and through.
I guarantee AD will make a cameo but he's failed at f/b before and speed is lost after a knee reco.
I get your angle with Bula at centre but to do that for next year it really means giving him heaps of games in that position this year to prepare him otherwise it's another year of rebuild.
I'm clutching at straws mate :)
Any suggestions or thoughts?

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
Das Bula is a fullback. He's only a baby but we have to persevere with him to give him game experience.
Having said that, if with 4 rds to go we could experiment and shuffle but right now its f/b for me.
The thing is, if someone does replace him at f/b in an experiment, who is it?
To'a has played there but it looks like he's done his hamstring.
Whoever it is it must be worth it in the future eg. If we don't have a fullback thru injury.
Heath Mason? Not for me. I've been watching him closely and he doesn't strike me as an NRL player, just my opinion but lately my assessments have been sus :)
Lobb...I rate the guy but he's not quick off the mark which a fullback needs to be especially backing up a break through the middle.
Gabriel and Tavana..na
Solomon Alaimalo... He has played f/b in union which is why he's good under the high ball and is an open field runner. Still nursing a knee injury and is only signed for this year...I think he's done??
Staines, yes but he's a winger through and through.
I guarantee AD will make a cameo but he's failed at f/b before and speed is lost after a knee reco.
I get your angle with Bula at centre but to do that for next year it really means giving him heaps of games in that position this year to prepare him otherwise it's another year of rebuild.
I'm clutching at straws mate :)
Any suggestions or thoughts?

I just meant having Turuva at FB when he comes over next season as he's also young and a helluva fullback talent as well...he's also a lot quicker than Bula so I can just imagine him in Api's pocket. I'm a big fan of Jareem B 's don't worry so it's also that i reckon he'd do a great job of fixing a lot of ills we have at right centre. Of course this is only "reckon this...reckon that" BS ...further to answer your question though...I sure wouldn't be moving Jareem for anyone we have now..it was just in regards Turuva specifically.
P.S. love your passion LOL

* I'll maybe cite Latrel as an example?

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I watched the first half only and while driving. So?? but I do know it gos back to the coach..If Benji’s still telling the team they are lovely boys and just keep doing what you’re doing so he doesn’t hurt any feelings then he has to change his style now. It seems like that’s how it is coz they are just doing what they want without fear of consequences .Morris will be encouraged about how things are looking..And Richo won’t fk around if we keep looking stupid like Pascoe and co did, regardless

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I just meant having Turuva at FB when he comes over next season as he's also young and a helluva fullback talent as well...he's also a lot quicker than Bula so I can just imagine him in Api's pocket. I'm a big fan of Jareem B 's don't worry so it's also that i reckon he'd do a great job of fixing a lot of ills we have at right centre. Of course this is only "reckon this...reckon that" BS ...further to answer your question though...I sure wouldn't be moving Jareem for anyone we have now..it was just in regards Turuva specifically.
P.S. love your passion LOL

* I'll maybe cite Latrel as an example?
Yeh I getcha mate.
I'm a big believer in horses for courses.
Moving a player to centre does one thing for sure and that is the ball will find you.
So in that regard Bula would find more open field running opposed to fullback where defenders close in on a straight line (except us ha ha)
Centre is actually becoming a more important position these days as you have to think/react quickly in 'D' and he has to adopt to different attacking shapes so that's why I suggested he moves there later on in the year if they plan to use him as a centre next year.
Crystal ball stuff Das.

Pezz70

Juniors
Yeh I getcha mate.
I'm a big believer in horses for courses.
Moving a player to centre does one thing for sure and that is the ball will find you.
So in that regard Bula would find more open field running opposed to fullback where defenders close in on a straight line (except us ha ha)
Centre is actually becoming a more important position these days as you have to think/react quickly in 'D' and he has to adopt to different attacking shapes so that's why I suggested he moves there later on in the year if they plan to use him as a centre next year.
Crystal ball stuff Das.
I think Bula will be pretty solid, I just think he needs a break from NRL, Galvin is starting to show signs that he is feeling the pressure too. I think it would be a good thing to rotate them out of the NRL a couple of times each this year. Galvin is clearly a gifted footballer but he is a bub playing against men, it’s a rare bird that can do it week in and week out at his age at that level. The 8 is not a prospect this year and we are better developing the boys than getting them bashed mercilessly when there’s no prospect of finals footy.

One glaring thing about the last few losses has been the lack of depth in attack. The two games we won we were attacking deeper with a bit more shape, we’ve regressed back to a fairly flat attack in the attacking zone. I don’t like it.

Tigerm

First Grade
Fox NRL Stats
Possession WT-45%
RM
Bula-218.....................Best-219
Naden-157
Papi-136
Tkls
Api-40.........................Brailey-43
Twal-33
Seyfarth-32
Runs
Bula-20......................Armstrong-16
Naden-16
Staines-15
Papi-15
PCM
Bula-55....................Best-63
Klem-55
Papi-53
KM
Bud-416.................Hastings-235
Gal-169
Api-142

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Once again dumb f**k errors and individual performances cost us

Batemen and T’oa don’t end up getting injured I reckon we win

weird use of Simpkin on the bench …. I seen him come on for 2 hit ups, what was he meant to be on the field for?

Benjis press conference, the usual talking in tongue and contradictions.

On the one hand we have injuries, on the other hand it’s no excuse.

If it’s no excuse, why raise it.

If we are serious, we had about 3 players, that were essential to life support and so far as I am aware, they finished the game.

Benji, we are not getting everything we need from the group. The nice Benji Isnt working. We need some floggings

Tigerm

First Grade
Benjis press conference, the usual talking in tongue and contradictions.

On the one hand we have injuries, on the other hand it’s no excuse.

If it’s no excuse, why raise it.

If we are serious, we had about 3 players, that were essential to life support and so far as I am aware, they finished the game.

Benji, we are not getting everything we need from the group. The nice Benji Isnt working. We need some floggings
The trouble is, once again, we have no one in reserve grade putting their hand up to be picked.
In the dogs cup team, they would have had 4 or 5 players that would have made our FG side.
I know it’s nice to be a development club, but we just don’t have the depth to do it. Not yet anyway.

Wizardman

First Grade
We will get the spoon this year. That is due to two main factors.

1. We are starting 2024 with the worst squad in the comp.

2. While we have improved, I'd strongly argue that teams that were at the bottom with us (Dogs, Dragons) have improved as well.

As an earlier poster said, this was always going to be another year of struggle. Ten plus years of Pascoe/Lee crap was not going to be undone by Benji/Richardson in six months. While we have had poor results this season, these first ten rounds (unlike the last two years) HAVE been constructive in a positive way.

1. Our defence: There is no question that we have defended better than we have had in a VERY long time. Any successful team must have a defensive backbone and we have shown it so far. Im pretty happy that our team has not given up the fight in defence once this year. Many teams have this year, we are not one of them.

2. Coaching staff: I'll put my hand up here, I did not want Benji as coach. But, I have to give the coaching staff a lot of credit......they ARE producing the goods at their end with a limited playing roster.

3. Young guys: At least our squad has some young guys having some first grade time and having a crack. Previously, we have had too many players who have failed at other clubs come over to fail at ours. This year, we at least have some prospects playing that may well make the grade in futures. We have a lot less Zane Musgove, James Roberts type players that just block future development. Galvin and Samuela Fainu will be very good players. Guys like Pole, Manamuta and Latu Fainu are guys worth playing as they could produce gold down the line.

There is no question that our roster needs upgrading in a significant way. We have way too many backs that would be in NSW Cup at most clubs. For the first time, Im starting to feel that Stefano can walk as he has been poor for 5 weeks.